Home General Training Discussions
Options

Why can't I run anymore?

For the past several weeks, I've been unable to complete every single run workout that I've attempted. I've cut some short, I've skipped most of the intervals, and some runs I've only been able to manage z1 throughout the entire workout. On two runs, I made it out my door, downhill one block, and then had to stagger back home because my calves simply wouldn't function.

Basically, my calves feel like putty. Not tired -- I know exactly how tired legs feel, like when I used to do 7 hour bricks and 3 hour runs on the same weekend. It's not shin splints -- I know exactly how those feel having dealt with them before. They just "hurt" all-over, like my calves have been replaced with bags of hurt.

It's not general training fatigue, either. In the same time period, my bike rides have been great. Sometimes I might be a little tired from a workout the day before, but nothing that has prevented me from feeling absolutely superb throughout the entire bike workout. I've finished a number of bike workouts feeling like I could do plenty more.

I don't know what else I can possibly do. I've been cutting my run workouts back for three weeks and my calves have felt the same for three weeks. Some days they feel worse. Some days I make the mistake of thinking that I should attempt some intervals.

I'm wearing the same kind of shoes I've worn for several years. They have probably 150-200 miles on them and have no signs of abnormal/excessive wear.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something I'm missing/forgetting? It sucks to have great bike workouts and crappy runs because I really want to improve on my running this year. Things seemed to be going well until these past three weeks.

Should I just give up on running intervals every single run and stick to long, slow distance running? What happened to my run mojo?

Comments

• Options
    Can you give us any objective data, as in "My long run pace has dropped by X"? Or can you tell us more about your run history? At the end of the day if it ain't working for you, it ain't working and we gotta fix it. Have you thought about not running for a bit?

P
  • Options

Hi Tyson,

Bummer. While I don't have the "putty" feeling during runs, training here at EN the past few years has definitely changed the way my calves feel. "Putty" is a good word, and I have been describing it as "spongy." "Spongy in need of constant massage" describes me even better. This is what helps me, so I'll pass it on.

1. Do you do regular massage? Regular massage helps me a lot. Not the spa Swedish style, but fascial release or other body work that gets in there. It's the kind of massage you have to breathe through.

2.  Every day, 2x/day I roll out on Triggerpoint. Do you have that? Keeping the soleus "loose," helps with the calf stuff. I roll the soleus, my feet, calves, hammies, and quads. It's a must for me. If you don't have the sysytem, just get the whole thing. It makes a huge difference for me. Although the "putt" feeling remains, it doesn't impede.

You'll get lots of feedback here, and I hope some of it will help you get back on track!

• Options

I went through a period of having really tight calves and that was not much fun. I found Linda's suggestions in addition to compression socks really helped. I still use the compression socks regularly and definitely know the difference between when I remember to use them post running and when I don't. From what I have heard the important thing is to get the ones that are full footed. I use the CEP's, but I believe even the ones you can get at the drug store will work if you are not trying to actually use them while running or biking. I am have become such a believer I am looking into getting some of the tights since I have some problems with the hip area. Good luck and I hope you get it worked out soon!
  • Options

I would second Linda's body work and add that stretching is huge and helps. In the 3.0 medical forum Leigh posted stretches. I am not a search guru but I know it's there with pics. Consider looking them up.

• Options

Second what Robin said. I meant to add compression for recovery, but forgot. Lots of options there--full recovery tights, compression socks, calf sleeves. I have the CEP socks Robin has, and like them very much, and I own recovery tights. I'm going to spring for a pair of the Zoots recovery calf sleeves so I can wear them with normal socks. Compress really helps recovery. This is tough stuff we do here.

• Options

no expert but love to run so ditto!!  just got the calf sleeves by 2XU for Christmas and the little boogers were $$ but having worn them for two days now, I am sold!!  post run and into the day..... and then I am a big believer in new shoes too!  and about every 3 mos or whenever I get any twinges of pain!  I buy new running shoes and save the older pair for rainy days, slog jogs or other.... then if I were having any pain, I would run every other day, cut out intervals, hills or other hard effort, I would also take icy baths post run too and get those calfs to "die down", I would also schedule appt with doc and think about PT, would search forum for stretches and other....  like you have done... I would run on grass and get off the hard road, possibly the track for soft surface too, take some Aleve,   then hope that the pain dies down... all the while researching...... and then gradually build back up and then back down with any pain.....  my two cents.  (recovering runner myself but not calf!!)  m

• Options
    Interesting post, Tyson. I'm your opposite. My run legs are there, it's the bike legs that are a struggle. Since the change in the weekend rides that are now longer than the total time (that is still listed as 1:15...BTW), I've been struggling to get through those workouts. I've pushed through most of them until yesterday when I bailed on the 2nd 20 minute interval and called it a day. My body wouldn't let me do anything else. It is really frustrating, so I am with you WRT the feeling of "WTF" with the mojo in the one area when everything else seems to be going fine.

Calves seem to be my issue as well. I've been having my ART practitioner work on them. She says they feel something other than "knotted", but sort of "shortened." I was feeling tightness in the pad area on my feet, at the base of my 3rd and 4th toes. It's helping a ton to have her working on them, and doing stretching and self massage. But I gotta say, it freaking hurts to have them worked on. I have to remind myself to breathe during the ART work, and when I'm self massaging it feels like I might as well be sticking a fork in my leg.

Not sure that I'm offering anything else that others don't have better suggestions for dealing with. Mainly just joining you in the frustration, I guess. Plus you're another IMSG peep...image (are we really doing that in 4 months?????)
  • Options

Ditto on the Calf sleeves and T.P. tools.  I've had major calf issues for about 2 years now, and without those two things I can't run period. 

• Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 27 Dec 2009 06:10 AM

Can you give us any objective data, as in "My long run pace has dropped by X"? Or can you tell us more about your run history? At the end of the day if it ain't working for you, it ain't working and we gotta fix it. Have you thought about not running for a bit?

P

Looking back at my data, it doesn't really look like my heart rates for various paces have changed much. At the beginning of the month, I had two workouts with 9:41 and 9:37 paces and 154 and 153 average heart rates, respectively. My past several workouts have been, from most recent to oldest:

• 10:38 pace @ 135bpm
    • 11:34 pace @ 138bpm
    • 9:25 pace @ 158bpm
    • 10:12 pace @ 148bpm

So, as far as I can tell, my heart rates versus paces haven't changed significantly. My legs simply hurt too much to pull the pace up very much.

In the past, I was on a "long, slow distance" plan from MAO in which I did a lot of weekends with 6 hour bike and run bricks with 2 to 3 hour runs the next day. I would feel pretty sore and tired on those runs, but I generally felt fine. Last season, though, I used the EN half-iron plan (intermediate) to good success and without any injuries or weird soreness like I have now.

For now, I'm cutting all intervals from my runs and I wont continue them until I start feeling better on my runs. I'm also using my compression socks again and I'll start rolling out my calves after workouts and before I go to sleep. We'll see if that helps.

I'm about to head out for a run and I'll try to keep mental notes on how I feel at various paces and heart rates. I'll post my GPS data, as well, so that can be looked over.

My nutrition and recovery has been the same as it has for the past few years. Generally decent foods, lots of fruits and veggies, and after hard workouts, Fluid recovery drink. I'm thinking about getting something like Muscle Milk for additional recovery. I should address that question to the Nutrition forum, though.

• Options

Average pace of 9:23 at 151 bpm. It was better than I was expecting. I even got in some 30 second strides. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, though, so I' going to continue cutting the bulk of the intervals from the long runs. But hopefully with massage and compression socks and all the other stuff it sounds like other people in the EN house need, I'll be able to get to the point where I can actually complete the entire run workouts again. I mean, I hope so. :/
  • Options

I have found that doing the intervals on the bike have also worked my calves.  Perhaps you are able to work through the cycling workouts but the run, which is more taxing is not doable for your calves.  I would also recommend the trigger point or some type of massage for the calves. 

I don't think you want to go to long slow running, I would suggest a couple days completely off and come back to the running first.  Overtime if you are getting enough recovery your body will adapt barring anything else going on.

Gordon

• Options
    Another update: felt a little better today! In fact, I was slightly pooped on my bike ride, but had a good run (although I chopped it to 0:20 instead of 0:30 and just did z2 out, z3 back, to be safe). Thanks for the ideas, guys. I don't know if all of them are working, but I'm not going to chance it just yet by stopping anything.

My best guess, though, is that the massage with The Stick and stretching is helping the most, followed by cramming some more protein into my diet.
  • Options

Congrats, Tyson!  Keep up the diligent work, and you'll be out of the woods in no time.

-Mike

• Options
    I've been using the stick for 10-15 years, and I HIGHLY recommend the T.P. tools from tptherapy.com. The stick is good if you have someone to use it on you. From a chronic calf pain/tightness sufferer, I haven't found anything that gets in there better. I use the footballer and the massage balls after every bike or run.