Home Summer HIM Training 2011 Group Discussion-Summer HIM Training 2011
Options

Week of June 27

Struggled this morning.  Not a lot of recovery between this early morning’s 3X1s and the weekend volume.  Had to walk first two minutes of each 4’ recovery  - legs were tired out of the gate:

Comments

• Options
    Very annoying...I left my house this morning wihout the ANT+ stick to upload all my workout data. Now in an airport lounge with travel to Germany and Brazil and no uploads until Friday morning when I get home. And if all goes according to plan, I'll have some cool global Garmin maps to add to my collection.

In any case, I did the workout today, 3000yd in 44:45, MS was 20x100(20) as 50/50 sprint/easy and 8x50(20) as 25/25 sprint/easy. I felt okay considering the race yesterday.

Will post splits when I get my damn watch to upload!!!
  • Options
    I am with you Shaughn!! But at least you got the run done. I didn't. Been a bad couple days for the training schedule. Saturday ride cut short when my seat post would not stay in place. So did the saturday brick yesterday. Got done with the run and it was 104 outside.

Then had to be at work at 0400 this morning. But I can't complain too much. I got paid to do some scuba diving. Then spent 2 hours in the pool this afternoon with the pre-scuba candidates. not much freestyle time. But a lot of treading and under water techniques. So I am sufficiently tired.

Ok so here is a question for the group. Last week was the first with my new intervals. I can hold the Z4 and Z3 on the short workouts. But the thursday run killed me!!! I fell apart on the second interval. Thinking about backing off a little on the Thursday run and keeping the pace on the shorter runs. Or am I just being a wimp?
  • Options
    No bike for me today due to being on a business trip. Rolled off the airplane in Frankfurt at 6am and went for a run before my meeting. Nice hard effort and felt pretty good actually. Annoying not to have my ANT+ stick, but I extracted the data manually from my watch.

Totals: 8.60 miles in 59:05, avg. pace 6:52.

Warmup: 10' @ 7:12
    4x7'(4') @z4: 6:39, 6:35, 6:33, 6:34
    (4' recoveries: 7:29, 7:20, 7:08, 7:03)
    Remainder time 5' @6:43

Some inactive recovery after the 3rd and 4th intervals.
  • Options
    Nice Run Matt, especially after such a long flight!!

Pool workout today was the best it has been in a while. Times were still a couple seconds slow, but I felt better. Been focussing a lot on full exhale, core rotation, ear and edge of goggles in water, BREATH, start over. I am not any faster, just feels more efficient.

I am also finally used to the change from 25yd to 50yd pool. for a while kept wishing for a wall.

No times for todays swim. Only had wrist watch, so focused on the interval then moved on. totat was 3400yds. with rests (which were a little longer than prescribed) total time was 1:15.
  • Options
    Had to do some switching around of workouts because of pool schedule so I did Wednesday's bike/run tonight. Wasn't sure how the legs would like that after metric century on Sun. but got it done. (Didn't feel great at first but better after a few 30/30s) 3 x (4 x 30/30) as hill repeats worked out pretty well. (I need help on the hills!) My neighborhood has several short but challenging hills so I went up hard for the 30" (give or take) then flat/down easy, then back up. Did a short 10' run after, all felt good.
  • Options

Shawn, to answer your question, first try to make sure you are not over achieving during the week leading up to the Thurs run onany of your intervals or workouts.  Also, what is the quality of your recovery after the Mon-Wed workouts?  Focus on quality recovery bro.  Go to bed early on Wed night and do everything you can to set yourself up for the Thurs long run.  Z4s are mentally very tough and do take practice to hit over the long run.  If you are running them in conditions much hotter than your test - you will need to adjust the pace for that, otherwise, do everything you can to hit them for they are the sauce that drive the fitness improvements over time.

I completed my Mon/Tues workouts and knocked off a tough brick this morning on tired legs with success.  Had a 4 X 10'(2') Z4 during the bike leg:

Entire Bike workout (231 watts):

Duration:        1:05:04

Work:              902 kJ

TSS:                 85.9 (intensity factor 0.893)

Norm Power:  256

Power:            0       376   231   watts

Heart Rate:     97     161   142   bpm

Cadence:        39     150   81     rpm

Speed:             0       26.2  21.4 mph

Temperature:          78.8  84.2  81.7            Fahrenheit

Interval 1:

Duration:        10:01

Work:              170 kJ

TSS:                 16 (intensity factor 0.98)

Norm Power:  281

Power:            246   343   283   watts

Heart Rate:     113   151   146   bpm

Cadence:        63     88     84     rpm

Speed:             19     25.7  24.9 mph

Interval 2:

Duration:        10:00

Work:              169 kJ

TSS:                 16 (intensity factor 0.98)

Norm Power:  281

Min   Max  Avg

Power:            139   376   283   watts

Heart Rate:     115   157   151   bpm

Cadence:        63     91     85     rpm

Speed:             14.2  26.1  25.4 mph

Interval 3:

Duration:        10:01

TSS:                 16.1 (intensity factor 0.983)

Norm Power:  282

Min   Max  Avg

Power:            203   330   284   watts

Heart Rate:     115   158   154   bpm

Cadence:        54     90     85     rpm

Speed:             15.2  26     25.3 mph

Interval 4:

Duration:        10:02

TSS:                 16 (intensity factor 0.977)

Norm Power:  280

Min   Max  Avg

Power:            234   322   282   watts

Heart Rate:     118   161   156   bpm

Cadence:        57     91     85     rpm

Speed:             18.3  26.2  25.5 mph

RUN:

Happy Wed all!!

• Options

Matt, get a lawyer to help with all those speeding tickets you are going to rack up from the runs dude!  What type of jet fuel are you mixing with your drink bro??

• Options
    Another run trapped in my Garmin with no ANT+ stick to set it free!!

I got off the ~12 hour flight from Frankfurt to Rio, went to the hotel and immediately changed into my running stuff to fit in a run before my meetings. I did the 90' run but modified it a bit to increase the z3 time to 3x15'(5') instead of 30' @ z2 then 20' at z3.

Again, data manually read from the watch...

Total: 12.90 miles in 1:30:01, avg. pace 6:59.

Z2=7:22, z3=7:04, z4=6:56
    Warmup: 15' @ 7:16
    3x15'(5') @z3/4: 6:51, 6:45, 6:45
    (5' recoveries: 7:16, 7:23)
    Remainder time 20' @7:03

I stopped after the third and final interval to buy a bottle of water at a beach stand, but otherwise no stopping the whole time. Good run. I can't wait to see my Garmin maps for the week...it has been a good travel week to add to the Garmin map collection!
  • Options

Damn nice work Matt!

I got my 100 minutes of running in this morning - 13.0 miles... Slogged through the humidity on tired legs.......

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95859829

What does everyone else have today?

• Options

So I am definitely the slow guy in the group.  Matt needs to share his crack with everyone else.  Todays run much better than last Thursday's long run. 

A couple things helped.  I focused on hydration and diet more yesterday.  I also had an extra day of rest.  After my swim on Tuesday, started getting throat and ear pain.  Still felt off yesterday.  It is 50/50 when I push myself feeling like that.  Either absolutely fine the next day or I take a turn for the worse and get sick for several days.  So I decided todays run was more important and took yesterday off.

I also think I am getting closer to figuring out how I seem to fall off pace towards the end of these long runs.  Shaughn you were dead on with over achieving.  With my old zones I was very comfortable running my Z3 pace.  I could run steady without focusing on the Garmin.  I still haven't found my rhythm with the 7:20 pace.  I always feel like I am going too slow, however end up running 10-15 sec/mile faster.

Second issue I noticed today was my lack of proper hydration during the workout.  I start sipping water when I get up and on my 30 min drive to work.  So during the 30 min warm up, I don't feel thirsty at all.  I am also concerned with putting too much in the gut.  I have had GI issues previously.  So finish the WU and roll right into intervals.  Of course during the interval, focused on pace and form.  Therefore forget to drink.  

I guess this is why they call it training.  So here are todays numbers:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95947264

Total: 2:01:13, 14.07 miles, 8:37/mile

00:29:37
    08:58

00:12:02
    07:15

00:05:01
    09:06

00:12:03
    07:18

00:25:02
    09:11

00:15:08
    07:46

00:22:16

09:59 

• Options

Good update Shawn, sounds like you're getting smarter.........

Tough day but nailed everything ……………………………….

Run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96517783   Sun was bearing down last 15 minutes….
  • Options

So here is the report from yesterday’s race rehearsal for Steelhead 70.3.  It was very similar to last year’s races....bonked the run.  Very upset with the results.

My FTP is 203 and vDot 46. The goal of this race is to run the run. I want to ride the bike at a pace that allows me to negative split the run.

So the plan was a 50 mile ride followed by 6 mile run.  It is a familiar route but a little hillier than race profile.  I have a history of bonking my runs, so planned a .81 IF.  My goal watts were 164.  Short hills were 180 and long hills 172.  I wanted to ride the first 20 minutes around 155.  Weather was fair for Southern Ga.  Started ride around 80 with 50% humiditiy and finished the ride at 86 with 52% humidity, heat index of 96. 

As I am filling water and putting bike bottles in place I realize I left my Infinit at home.  Completely messed me up mentally.  I laid everything out twice the night before and even had a list for the morning, but left it in the fridge.  I didn't have any ther type of nutrition with me at all.  NOTHING!!!!  Luckily my riding partner is a team player and also uses Infinit.  He let me have his bottle.  However he didn't know what his mix was.  So no real idea of calories or sodium content.  Made the decision something is better than nothing and rolled with it. 

Then as we start to ride out I look down at my Garmin, Mind F*#K number 2.  For whaterver reason, it decided to dump all my data field settings.  So stopped, quickly reset them, and then started the ride.  One mile in it beeps and buzzes.  The Damn autolap is on!!!  Kept riding and turned that off on the course. 

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful.  At the time felt like I was holding my watts within tolerance.  there are a couple hills where it was hard to keep the watts at such a low speed.  I also noticed that when I was in the big chain ring and mid cassette I was having a hard time keeping the watts and rpms synching.  One gear I could run 95ish RPM but only hitting 155 watts.  If I added a gear I had to keep 85 rpm to stay below 170 (again goal 164). 

for the entire ride had 3/4 bottle of Infinit(unkown calories) and about 50 ounces of water.  Stomach started to feel a little bloated in the last 45min of the ride.  I tried to write it off.  Stomach was a little off when I got up, so blame it on that.

I got back to the car, racked and locked the bike, and changed shoes for my run.  Ended up with a long T2 waiting on my buddy to get back.  So I start off on the run.  Goal was 9min/mile for first 3 miles, then an 8:10 for the rest. My vDot is 46, so Z2 in data tool is 7:40.  I know I have issues running off the bike and with heat.  So I decided to push to the 9min/mile fist and added 30sec for the rest.  This didn't really workout.  First mile was typically fast, kept looking at the gramin and slowing myself down.  Even walked a couple steps to get it down.  I treated each mile like an aid station.  at the end I walked 20 steps taking a sip fo infinit run followed by 3-4oz of water. 

Started mile 2 and it all fell apart.  I was horrifically bloated, passing a lot of gas, and could feel the heat getting to me.  So at mile 1.5 stopped to pee, a lot.  Drank a little more water and started moving again.  I stomach was off and just didn't feel right so decided to try and back it down to a 10min mile to see if that would allow me time to recover.  Ran through several open areas baking in the sun, then hit the path through the trees.  The sun was gone, but the humidity kicked up. 

I made it to mile 3.  Goal changed.  I wanted to keep a 10min mile pace and hope I would recover to bring it home.  Still fell short.

Mile 4 was the breaking point.  I hit the long stretch of sun and a small hill.  Suddenly got the tingling arms, tunnel vision, light headed.  the tingling arms is usually my first indication I am getting ready to yard dart.  So stopped and walked for close to 3 minutes.  finding as much shade as I could.  My head came back and heart rate dropped.  The desire to end the workout helped fuel the pace the rest of the way home. Also during this mile I realized that the Desoto Bib tri shorts are great for riding but not running. There is an elastic compression panel across the lower abdomen. It was killing me. While walking I peeled it down and felt some instant relief. 

Although not at all what I wanted for a RR, it is probably what I needed. I have been a little checked out mentally the last week. Probably not putting everything into the workouts, and my nutrition was off also. 6 weeks until the race. Time to get back in the game and WORK!!!

Bike

Entire workout (163 watts):

Duration: 2:39:41

Work: 1562 kJ

TSS: 183.7 (intensity factor 0.832)

Norm Power: 169

VI: 1.04

Distance: 50.06 mi

Elevation Gain: 3785 ft

Elevation Loss: 3793 ft

Grade: -0.0 % (-12 ft)

Min    Max       Avg

Power:         0       359   163 watts

Heart Rate: 85     153   133 bpm

Cadence:     7      115    90 rpm

Speed:         0     39.3   18.8 mph

Bike

Run

• Options
    whoa Shawn - that sounds rough. congrats on finishing the work out

Sorry I've disappeared again - light training week - 2 runs, one swim, one bike - I was in Seattle thurs-Sat for a job interview. Fingers crossed. I've never been there and fell in love instantly. the company I am interviewing with put me up at the Washington Athletic club - they have a 25M pool, so I got in 2000M on Friday. On saturday, I ran from downtown to Lake Washington, and as I got to the shores, I saw Mount Rainier for the first time. It was so beautiful I burst into tears!

3 hour bike today - late start so I baked.

one month to my 70.3 in Calgary! time to start studying all that race execution stuff!

Loving the fact that Cervelo is in yellow!!
  • Options
    whoa Shawn is right.

Sounds like the nutrition was a cluster-f.

Sorry I have been MIA here but insane business travel last week and now on vacation this week.

I'll get out my week 10 race rehersal workout report tomorrow hopefully...it was a good workout despite 90 degree heat and high humidity........

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Options
    Got the race rehersal done...report is here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Training/TrainingForums/tabid/101/aft/6469/Default.aspx

Overall it went well. If my actual race looks like the rehersal I'll be happy. So now time to dial-back and get ready to race!

Also threw in an extra run on Sunday but it was not the greatest: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/97060330