Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

What headphones/earbuds do you wear and why?

I wanna change out my headphones.  The iPod buds have always sucked and my Nike Flight wrap arounds are getting old.  Need a change and better sound.

What do you where for your runs or bike sessions?  And why?

Comments

• Options

I've tried a bunch of different headphones, "sport" and not, and have had the best luck with these cheapos: Sony MDR-J10

The downside is they don't last very long (3-4 months), but at least they're cheap to replace...all other headphones I've tried either cut out (or fall out) after too much sweat, or don't fit comfortably...

• Options

I second those Sony Headphones.  Cheap good sound and actually fit well.  I am a bit worried that they will stop making them becasue they have been around for a couple years.

Good luck on your hunt!

• Options

I have really super tiny ears (yeah- this whole small thing is sorta a theme with me).  Anyway- those over the year hanger things don't work for me at all.  I can do some of the in-ear bud dealios, but they tend to fall out AND they block too much outside noise for my personal preference when running (I like to be able to hear what is going on around me).  So I wear these: Sony over the head delios- yup, pretty old school, but they work and they are cheap (oh- and they stay on much better in this windy area of the country).

• Options
    Those Sonys look like they'll solve my "problem" of having a large outer ear. Ear buds will not stay in my ears unless I put them sideways in my ear canal, an then they eventually fall out anyway.
  • Options
    I've been using Sony's MDR-J10 for years without any issues.  I have only had one pair go bad, probably cause I shut the cord in the car door.  These head phones sound OK for sport head phones and they don't come out of your ears.  They are on sale right now at Best Buy for 11.99 can't beat that.  This past month I tried the Sony MDR-AS40Ex, the sound is not that much better and after my ear got sweaty they started popping out.  I will be going back to the MDR-J10.

• Options

This is kinda interesting cuz i was expecting folks to say that use Bose, Sennheiser, Koss etc. that cost at least $75.  :-)  Y'all went in the other direction and I like that!  :-)

Nemo - Those are way old skewl!  Haven't seen those in years.  They also make a "Sports" version of those in white that fold up that I really liked.  Problem is I can't wear those comfortably under my hat. 

Been using the Nike Flights (see pic below) but sound is only just OK and they don't last very long.  Between my wife and me we buy extras when on sale ($17) and have them as back stock. 

I will get over to Best Buy tomorrow and get some of the MDR-J10's and check them out.

Thanks guys.

• Options

I'm in the search for perfect headphones too. I use it with my iPhone so I needed something with a microphone and control buttons. I got the Klipsch Image S4i but they didn't work for me: the silicone buds blocking too much outside noise and they don't stay in my ear when I run/bike Next, I think I'm going to try the Sony DR-BT160AS Bluetooth Wireless Headset , which are sport friendly and you don't have wires to worry about,,,

• Options
    I also find that ANY headphones I have tried have a limited lifespan when used for running. Therefore I usually stick with the sony ones with the over the ear loop that many people have mentioned. I usually find them on amazon for under $10 and buy 2 or 3 pairs at a time, which lasts me about a year or so.
  • Options
    I have been using the Nike Flight's for some time as well. I really like their design and the sound is okay. However, they short out on one-side rather frequently. I think I have gone through 3-4 pair in the past year. I have been eyeing the Freedom by Jay Bird, but they are $$$. I can't stand the over-the-ear thing it makes me ears hurt. So I think I will be sticking with the Flights. Great idea of buying them a few at a time when they are on sale.
  • Options

Most comfortable and best sounding headphones I have found are the Sennheiser PMX 80.  I stumbled on them at an Apple store, and they are expensive - about $70, but for those loooong runs, they are great.

Brad

• Options
    I like the Nike ones that hook over my ear.
    For Christmas I got a Nike stocking running hat that my iPod hooks into the back and has that speakers built in. I have not gotten a chance to run in it yet, been stuck on the dreadmill, but I will let you know once I do. I really like the idea of it though, my headphones always seem to fall off or out when I have a stocking hat on when running.

Laura
  • Options

Yeah, John, it is kind of weird that people who are willing to spend 7 grand on a bike + power meter + pace watch aren't willing to spend $40 for a pair of earphones.

I'll vote for the Sennheiser sport model, neon green. I wear a hat when I run, and the behind the neck fit works much better. They have a clip to hold the wire to my shirt so it doesn't flop all around. And the wire is lightly coiled, so it doesn't get all tangled on itself in the drawer (the great mystery of earphones - how does that wire tie itself into a knot when I'm not around?) They have a little rubber pad for my ears, to deflect sweat and keep them in place. And, the sound is much better than a $12-20 pair.

• Options

I picked up a pair of Moda buds at Costco (40) and they worked great until...... old shuffle died right before marathon.  Bought new shuffle only to find my beloved earphones won't work.  The new shuffle sticks the controls on the wires from the ear buds.  What 's up with that? Anyone else dealing with this?  Solutions?  I can't stand all the dangling cords smacking me and can't find/feel the controls with gloves on.  I loved my old shuffle.. why fix something that ain't broke, Apple??

• Options
    I use several of the above as well as Skull Candy - another inexpensive good quality in the ear dealio (and they stay in).
  • Options

USA Today had an article on high end earphones here.

tom

• Options

Thanks guys.  Bought the cheapy Sony's and they work really well.  Better than I thought. 

Al, ya, I think it is more about do I spend $40+ for headphones that last 2 months or do I spend $11 for 2 months.  How long your last?

Tom, thanks for the link.  May try those as well.

John

• Options
    Posted By John Stark on 18 Jan 2010 12:01 PM

Al, ya, I think it is more about do I spend $40+ for headphones that last 2 months or do I spend $11 for 2 months.  How long your last?

Tom, thanks for the link.  May try those as well.

John

John -

My wife and I both have the $60 Sennsheiser wrap around the ear 'phones profiled in the link above. They are neon green, and fit behind the head. We each use them for 3-5 hours a week in weight room, on treadmill, or trainer, or outside while running, so they get exposed to sweat and other abuse all the time. They also get used in more sedate environs regularly (like listening to books, or watching movies without disturbing the house). No issues for either of us in 6+ person years of use. Since we bought them at $40, that's about $1/month so far.

• Options

Al:

Good stuff.  Never had ANY headphones last anywhere near that long before.  I will order some this week and test them out.  Thanks for the 411.

John

• Options
    Posted By John Stark on 18 Jan 2010 09:32 PM

Al:

Good stuff.  Never had ANY headphones last anywhere near that long before.  I will order some this week and test them out.  Thanks for the 411.

John

Man- I'm glad you said so!  I thought maybe I was just unusually abusive to my headphones!  Nice to know I'm not alone AND that there may be another solution out there that has a lower total cost of ownership!