Home Summer HIM Training 2011 Group Discussion-Summer HIM Training 2011
Options

Week of August 1

Read all the posts from you guys.  Lots of work going on and fitness being driven from what I can see.  Jane, want to congratulate you on your HIM!  I know that last hour was not fun, but you drove it home and are now a veteran!

Completed my 3,200M swim this morning:  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103339652

Matt please be easy on me, I try in the water.......

Had a successful RR Sat:

I had a 3 hr bike RR and 1 hour run.  Hit a .77 IF through mile 56 then noodled around for another 6 miles before the run.  20.0 mph up through mile 56 on about 2,000 ft of elevation. So I basically had a very good, steady RR ride with the IF right where I want it in order to run.

Entire workout (222 watts):

Duration:          3:09:40

Work:               2531 kJ

TSS:                177.6 (intensity factor 0.752)

Norm Power:    233

VI:                   1.05

Distance:         62.021 mi

Elevation Gain:         1929 ft

Elevation Loss:         1987 ft

Min   Max  Avg

Power:             0       422   222   watts

Heart Rate:       82     156   138   bpm

Cadence:         30     159   77     rpm

Speed:             0       36.9  19.6 mph

Temperature:    78.8  87.8  82.7 Fahrenheit

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102794437

The run was fine up through mile 5.  Don’t get me wrong, it was very hot and legs were tired but I was mentally managing it.  I walked every 1.5 miles while I drank my fluid then picked up running again.  Had a 8:33 pace on both the first and second laps but given the back end loaded grade on the second half, I negatively split the run easily on a normalized graded pace with a 9:07 and 8:05 NGP first half, second half respectively.  So, happy about that but the second half was miserable, especially the last 1.6 miles…..due to the heat 100 degree heat index when I finished up.

Good luck this week all!  (I am in week 15 of 20)

Comments

• Options
    @shaughn, thank you for your encuoraging words - and @Matt.

so 24 hours later I am trying to figure out what went wrong, how to improve next time (the weather, which I think was a major factor, today is perfect for me - overcast and 72*F). COMMENTS/FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Swim - 2 mins slower than Muskoka last fall - the water was v cold - 60*F - but I think the bottom line with the swim for me is that I just don't do very much training. I dislike the workouts/don't know how to do them and swimming in public lane time is v frustrating. I think I need to join a masters swim group through the OS. This season, it is what it is.

Bike - 27 min pb. was perfect, stayed in the watt box the entire time (in fact, had trouble getting to the upper end of Z3). Very pleased over all. BUT, I didn't put on sunscreen after the swim (I had it on before swim). The course had ZERO shade, and it was full sun. I also didn't consume both bottles - only one. I was probably dehydrated. I usually go through two bottles on a 90K ride. However, I peed in transition (through my shorts and on the spot. more detail than you needed to know, but it warmed me up!) adn an hour into the bike I also peed, so I was convinced I was well hydrated. I also peed 3K into the run. tummy upset at 2:45 so I skipped my last GU - was that an error? I usually take a GU every 30 mins on bike and that works well. Gatorade in bottles. THe GUs were warm - that was unpleasant.

Run - 13 min on last time - total death march. 90+*F, no shade. Again, no sunscreen at transition (medical didn't have it either, and when they did - spf 15!). I started off in Z3, but slowed myself to Z1, but then felt dizzy and unable to pick it up after 3 K. my heart rate was alarmingly high when I got to Z2 or 3 - in 3 it should be about 135 - but it was topping 155. so when I figured my run was going to be what it was going to be, I walked until my HR went to 130, then ran until it went to 140, then walked, etc. with 7K to go, my garmin ran out of juice, so I started counting steps - 50 walk, 100 run, 50 walk, 100 run. So I think on this one, it was dehydration, no protection from the sun and I also don't do well in the sun. Could I train harder in full sun? maybe.

so overall - my nagging question is - should I have backed off on the bike and had a better run? I haven't downloaded my data yet, but I am sure my NP was well below 130 - very very easy. I'll download shortly and repost.

Good news - absolutely no mechanical, bio mechanical, chafing, equipment issues. and I practiced tire changing alot!!

I would appreciate direct and unflinching feedback!

Jane
    PS - Muskoka Half, which I was going to skip, is now on the sched
    PPS - times were so slow, had I stuck around for the roll down I would have likely gotten an LV slot. times 15-60 mins off last year.
  • Options
    Checked bike data. Avg watts 122- very low end of my Z2 so no chance I over cooked it. Oh, temp at beginning of bike 55*f and at end, 86*f. Whoa
  • Options

Jane, can you give me your total IF on the bike as well as the Cal/hr consumed on the bike up to the Stomach issue?

• Options

My total IF was .754

cals on first 2:30 - 1120 cals

cals after 2:30 (last 50 mins) - 323 cals

• Options
    My initial reaction given the massive bike PB was that you overcooked the bike for sure. But with an IF of 0.75 that seems really unlikely.

That seems like a LOT of calories. I don't consume much during races so am probably an outlier, but 1120 is almost 300/hour, and in fact more like 500/hour because you don't eat when you swim. If that's what you do in training and race rehearsals then maybe you can handle it, but I could not.

I also wonder if elevation has anything to do with the performance. Calgary is ~3,500 feet and you do all of your training in Toronto which is at ~250 ft. I don't have a ton of experience with elevation issues but I do know that when I did a vacation in Colorado last year (slept at 9500 ft) and rented a bike, I did not do too badly on the biking but my running suffered tremendously -- literally I ran a 5k in ~23 mins and my 5k PB a couple of months earlier was close to 20 min. Elevation can mess with you physilogically in a lot of ways. I wouldn't rule it out.
  • Options

IF is fine but Caloric intake did the number on you Jane.  Need to cut back to 200/hr on calories, 600-900 mg sodium / hr and more water during the bike.

Hitting the run in those temps needs to be Z2 + 30 secs for miles 1-3 + 30-60 secs more if temps are above 80 degrees then drop what ever that pace is by 30 secs if you are able at mile 4.

Try to practice this during your rides and Race Rehearsals.  Practice allows you the time to dial in the formula.

Matt, chime in and tell'em your IF, cal/hr, etc on your very successful HIM.

SS

• Options
    @Jane- I can't really give you any valuable feedback as I am yet to do my 1st HIM. My guess would be the heat factor, maybe combined with the calories. (But if you're used to it, maybe not)

Swim tonight- 20 x 100 (50 sprint, 50 easy)
    Ouch, that was rough. My sprints were roughly :50 and the easy about 1:00 (my t-pace) although got a little slower towards the end, but not as slow as I would have suspected. I do like the shorter/faster sets though.... just not so many of them! GOod thing my watch counts laps & sets!
  • Options
    @ Shaughn - my calories per hour is on the way low end of what I hear others doing, so I'm not sure if people should use it as an example. The collective wisdom seems to be 150-200/hr I think, right? And something like 250-350 for IM distance? Personally in my HIM (which was also extremely hot...94 degrees and quite humid and I was in the last AG to start) I did 3 gels on the bike (300 cal), a 16.9oz bottle of gatorade coming out of T2 (110 cal) and one gel at about mile 4 of the run (100 cal). On the bike and run I drank water only. So overall 510 cal in just under 5 hours, call it 100 cal/hour. I also took a 100 cal gel about 20 min before the swim start...not sure if that counts, but if it does that would make it ~120cal/hour average. In the next race I might try to do another gel on the run (but doubtful...I don't usually like to eat gels or anything on the run when it starts getting really tough). That intake is about what I do when training. On Saturday I rode for ~3 hours and ate 200 cal worth of Shot Bloks during the warmup, half a granola bar after my FTP intervals (90 cal), then 1 gel during the z3 stuff (100 cal), so 390 cal over 3 hours, ~130 cal/hour.

Btw I find the T2 gatorade is KEY. I do this in my "T2" for all brick workouts. I literally pound the whole bottle in 20 seconds. In the HIM I had do do it while running but it only took a couple of minutes and I didn't spill much at all.

On the HIM bike the IF was 0.83 and TSS 165.7. So right in the EN recommended zone...I was shooting for 0.85 but undercooked a bit, probably due to the heat.
  • Options
    Swim only today. Too much work, couldn't fit in the run. I'm planning to do it tomorrow morning.

The swim was good. Comparing to the identical workout on June 6, all paces were faster except the warmup and cooldown. I found the "last 50 as a sprint" to be much harder than the "first 50" or "first half" like in the other workouts.

I had to share a lane with someone for the last 10 minutes of the workout…it turned out to be none other than fellow EN-er Ed Gross!

Overall 2950 yards in 49:12. Last time I did that workout it was 50:18. So not a huge difference, frankly.

Paces:
    Warmup 200 – 1:44
    4x200(30), last 50 of each as sprint – 1:42, 1:43, 1:44, 1:43
    5x150(30), last 50 of each as sprint – 1:38, 1:40, 1:41, 1:40, 1:41
    6x100(15), negative split – 1:35, 1:38, 1:37, 1:38, 1:38, 1:37
    8x50(15), 25 sprint / 25 easy – 1:28, 1:32, 1:32, 1:34, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34, 1:32
    Cooldown 100 – 1:44

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103496749
  • Options

I think Matt did it right - look at his results.  I would definitely err on the low side of calories with the HIM.  200/hr max on the bike in my opinion.  IM is a different story.  On IM your HR is lower and you are going longer.  A lower HR allows you to process more calories and you need'em for the longer period.  I did 250/hr on my bike IM and it was enough to allow me to run the entire marathon on 150/hr and not stop.  With HIM, you are running at higher intensities and cannot process as many calories for that very reason.  I have done 8 HIM and always hold it to 200/hr and I weigh 177 lbs.....I train the same way as well......when I go over 200/hr and hit IFs of .80+ I begin to experience stomach issues on both the bike and the run at HIM intensities.....

• Options
    Okay, so the cals were what I expended on the bike not what I consumed.

I ate 6 Gus in 3 hours, so 200 an hour and one 20 oz bottle of diluted Gatorade. So 200 cals total there. 800 cals in 3.5 hours. Then 3 Gus on the run... Let's call it 1000 cals for 6 hours/ 150 per hour.

This all works in training and in training if I do less i bonk big time.

In less intense heat I will try drinking more and eating less!

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    @Matt- Don't you "slosh" on the run with 20oz of Gatorade all at once?
  • Options
    Posted By Jane Hargraft on 02 Aug 2011 04:35 AM

Okay, so the cals were what I expended on the bike not what I consumed.

I ate 6 Gus in 3 hours, so 200 an hour and one 20 oz bottle of diluted Gatorade. So 200 cals total there. 800 cals in 3.5 hours. Then 3 Gus on the run... Let's call it 1000 cals for 6 hours/ 150 per hour.

This all works in training and in training if I do less i bonk big time.

In less intense heat I will try drinking more and eating less!

Thanks for the feedback!

That makes more sense Jane, how about the sodium content in mg /hr?  If it's hot and you are sweating alot, you need to replenish at 600-900 mg per hour depending how much you are sweating........that requires adding additional salt tablets in hot weather.......Lack of sodium will take you down quickly during the run ......I've been there....

• Options

Got in my Speedwork treadmill 3 X 1s yesterday afternoon.  Was slowing moving out of bed this morning.  Have a 3,400M swim only this afternoon.  Will be105-108 (before the heat index) degrees outside where I will do this one.....TG I will be in the water..........!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103469278 

Good luck today peeps!  Be careful/smart with this heatwave!

• Options
    okay, I think the salt is the problem - it didn't feel hot on the bike, but the temp increased 30*F from the start to the end, so a concern.

So drink both my bottles, stick with number of GUs, try a salt tablet. And don't worry if I have to get off to pee twice on bike (i think it's just a fact for me in these things).

Shaughn - so hot!! yikes.

off to Seattle for the second round of interviews for that job at the Symphony. I am the leading candidate. Wish me luck guys!
  • Options
    Posted By Kim DuBord on 02 Aug 2011 08:10 AM

@Matt- Don't you "slosh" on the run with 20oz of Gatorade all at once?

You're certainly not the first person to ask me that. A buddy of mine who I run with all the time keeps saying the same thing. But no, I don't get any "sloshing". It's happened once or twice, but I think it must take a lot more than a 16.9oz or 20oz bottle of Gatorade. Perhaps it's because I don't drink enough on the bike so my body absorbs the gatorade really quickly. I'm not sure.

• Options
    @ Jane -- do you really think altitude had nothing to do with the run issues? It would take quite a bit of convincing to make me think that wasn't a factor.
  • Options
    I hit the local lakefront path this morning to do yesterday's run. 98-degree heat index, according to weather.com. It was a very, very tough run. I ran the intervals very fast and threw in an extra z4 interval, but the numbers don't tell the whole story because the 60' run had an elapsed time of 72' due to multiple stops for water during the recovery intervals. I weighed myself before and after and lost 4.5 lb during the run. And I drank from a whole bunch of water fountains along the way. That is insane.

HR was high, I assume due to the humidity. Decent cadence although you can see it declined over the course of the run.

Z2=7:19, z3=7:01, z4=6:53
    Warmup: 10' @ 7:20
    4x7'(4') @z4: 6:31, 6:30, 6:28, 6:32
    (4' recoveries: 7:16, 7:18, 7:24, 7:20)
    "Remainder time": 3' @~7:03 then 5'@6:44

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103625430

Now onto the swim workout tonight…

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Options
    @Matt - altitude maybe? I think it affected me far more on the swim if it was a factor. I could not get my breath at all. Plus we were in town for 4 days before the race, so some time to adjust. I think

But here's the thing that really excites me - I really held back on the bike. If I can get my IF to .85, I'll start to go sub 3 for the bike, then after the next OS - get my NP to 200 and there is no stopping me!
  • Options

Took a late lunch and got in 3,000M outside. Warm swim. Had to re-fill my water bottle at 1,500M . Car said 110 degrees returning to the office………..water was probably 86-90 degrees! Dallas is boiling! Moving forward!

• Options
    Posted By Jane Hargraft on 02 Aug 2011 11:58 AM

okay, I think the salt is the problem - it didn't feel hot on the bike, but the temp increased 30*F from the start to the end, so a concern.

So drink both my bottles, stick with number of GUs, try a salt tablet. And don't worry if I have to get off to pee twice on bike (i think it's just a fact for me in these things).

Shaughn - so hot!! yikes.

off to Seattle for the second round of interviews for that job at the Symphony. I am the leading candidate. Wish me luck guys!

It's a balance Jane, what you gain on the bike is many times more than offset on the run.  Best approach is to work hard to lift your FTP over time.   Always, always practice in training as much as possible......You rocked your first HIM, you are only going to get faster with time.   We (team) need to make sure you get there the smartest way possible!

• Options
    Bike Intervals tonight. Used this as an opp to get in some climbing:

Z4 18'- avg bpm- 155, 3mi, +450ft
    Z4 20'- avg bpm- 150 (More descent on the way back, not much pushing to do, just holding on at 30+mph) 4.5mi +306ft.

I honestly don't know if 450ft. in 3 mi. is significant but it felt challenging nonetheless. Felt pretty good on the hills, which is rare! Based on avg. bpm for first interval, could have pushed more although RPE felt much higher than avg. bpm indicates. On one of the flat sections, bpm was like 165, but RPE was like a 4.

Skipping swim tomorrow (i usually only do 2 or the 3 in the plan per week) to have dinner at the parents. (PAUs vs. SAUs? LOL) Have to show some love to my cheerleaders.
  • Options
    I was not feeling the swim today. It must have been the insanely humid run this morning that took a chunk out of me. Also I've been bike commuting to work the last couple of days so perhaps that has had something to do with it.

In any event I got all 3400 yards done in 1:00:04, which is 36 seconds faster than the last time I did that workout (June 6). That improvement is nowhere near the improvements I've been seeing in other swim workouts, so that tells you something about how tough it was in the pool tonight (as an aside, I'm loving the comparability now that I'm repeating parts of the plan that I did a month and a half ago!).

Paces:
    Warmup 300 – 1:44
    MS1: 6x400(30) – 1:46, 1:46, 1:46, 1:47, 1:48, 1:51
    MS2: 6x100(15), 50 sprint / 50 easy – 1:37, 1:40, 1:42, 1:43, 1:41, 1:43
    Cooldown 100 – 1:43

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103757806
  • Options

@ Matt, way to dig deep and get it done!  Would love to have your "not feeling well" swim times.

Completed a .88IF for 60' on the bike and exceeded paces on the run - weird........91 degrees at 7 am for the run portion ............will probably pay the price during tomorrow's long run...

SS

• Options
    Well I decided to extend the bike today in lieu of the brick run…schedule issues so I had to bang out the whole workout very quickly. I also decided to try doing the z5 intervals outdoors on the local lakefront path. That was somewhat difficult due to the traffic, but overall I'd call it reasonably successful. I did hit some big power numbers on a few of the intervals (including one where I got 400!!).

It was very windy from the north so I went south for the warmup, then did 2x6 z5 intervals going north into the wind, then turned around and did a blisteringly fast 15' FTP interval back southbound (avg 26.3 mph!!), then 2x6 z5 again northbound into the wind, then 8' FTP heading back to where I get off the path for home. Also I had some "bonus intervals" – the first time due to a miscount, and the second time because I had to cut one short and underperformed due to pedestrian traffic.

Overall 1:34:18, IF=0.951

W/U 20': 10' then 4x3'(1') @z4 then 2' easy.

z5 intervals, 120%=298
    6x30": 338, 342, 350, 338, 344, 369
    7x30": 383, 359, 366, 377, 359, 379, 397

Southbound FTP interval: 15'(4') @z4 – AP 257, NP: 258 (IF 1.041), VI 1, cadence: 88, HR: 157 (max 165), 26.3mph

6x30": 331, 357, 371, 306, 384, 363, 363
    6x30": 356, 400, 320, 377, 355, 373

Southbound FTP interval: 8' @z4 – AP 253, NP: 254 (IF 1.023), VI 1, cadence: 89, HR: 159 (max 165), 25.3mph

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103850838

• Options
    @matt - holy crap, look at those watts - amazing.

@shaughn, my cruddy run was completely due to dehydration and the heat. no question.

Just on my way back from a second round of interviews in Seattle - they definitely want to hire me! Let's hope the offer is worthwhile (I've already checked this with the headhunter, so should be okay).

Seattle is GORGEOUS. And best of all, I'll be close to EN legend Al Truscott, who lives in Gig Harbour.

Making me think of Cour d'Alene - has anyone here done it?

Back to training on Friday - I am on the red eye tonight!

Cheers
    Jane
  • Options

@ Jane, good luck with the job prospects!

@ Matt - .95+ IF for 1:38 = FTP bump on the next test bro!  When do you test again?

I had a 120 minute run on the schedule.  Problem was temps ..... 91 degrees at 5 a.m. in Dallas.  Managed through it………….

Good luck today all!

SS
  • Options
    I banged out a 90 minute run this morning. I actually felt really good and nailed the paces pretty well. Instead of doing 3x12' I changed it to 3x15'(5'), which was a key week #10 workout I did down in Rio at the end of June.

The numbers don't tell the whole story due to multiple stops for inactive recovery. It was extremely humid. I stopped at a 7-11 and downed a Gatorade midway through. By the beginning of the third 15' interval my stomach had major issues. I made it through the interval without stopping but then stopped at a restroom and had a rather lengthy session. It was so "lengthy" that my Garmin started it's countdown to power-save mode. Interestingly after the stop I felt like a new man and was shot out of a cannon – I threw in two more z4 intervals and ran them feeling better and at a lower HR than the main intervals beforehand. I felt like I could have kept running for quite a while longer, in fact.

Total: 13.11 miles in 1:30:01, elapsed time 1:47:47.

Z2=7:19, z3=7:01, z4=6:53
    Warmup: 10' @ 7:08
    3x15'(5') @z3/4: 6:33, 6:41, 6:43
    (5' recoveries: 7:23, 7:16, 7:20)
    9' @ 6:48, 2' recovery 7:49
    7' @ 6:46

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104023315

Now off to ORD for a quick business trip before the weekend workouts!

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Options
    Long-ish run done, sorta. (Work, traffic , limited daylight and trip to LBS to drop off bike for pre-race check and new race tires cut my run shorter than I would have liked.) What I lacked in time, I made up for in effort!

3 mi- 32:41, avg bpm 161, max bpm 167. (This is my Z4 based on HR and Z3 for pace) I don't really have a Z1 or 2 for running.... as soon as I start running, I'm in Z3 HR.
    3 mi- 31:03, avg bpm 160, max 168 (Negative split is easy on the trail since there is a slight incline for first half, then I have gravity on my side coming home) Still pretty pleased considering my fastest 3mi test time is 30:00!

• Options

Kim and Matt, both of you keep posting strong, consistent stats!!  Glad you guys are in the haus!

Did my swim this morning:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104209329

Slow and steady................

SS