Home Summer HIM Training 2011 Group Discussion-Summer HIM Training 2011
Options

Week of August 22

Comments

• Options
    Shaughn- Nice short & sweet report. image

My report today: Watched friends play tennis (OK, so I hit a few) Sonic for lunch, then a massage and chillin at home in the afternoon. Phew!
  • Options

Kim - nice recovery report!

I had 48 minutes of Z4 on the bike this morning and made it through 43 minutes of Z4:

Entire workout (236 watts):

Duration:                1:01:37 (1:02:11)

Work:                     871 kJ

TSS:                       80.3 (intensity factor 0.891)

Norm Power:          263

VI:                           1.12

Pw:HR:                   4.14%

Pa:HR:                   1.38%

Distance:               23.819 mi

Elevation Gain:      0 ft

Elevation Loss:      0 ft

Grade:                    -0.0 %  (-10 ft)

Min     Max    Avg

Power:                    0         373     236     watts

Heart Rate:            86       160     144     bpm

Cadence:               34       134     84       rpm

Speed:                    0         29.3    23.1    mph

Pace                       2:03    0:00    2:36    min/mi

Hub Torque:           0         12       7         lb-in

Altitude:                  712     722     719     ft

Crank Torque:       0         492     232     lb-in

Temperature:         80.6    82.4    82.0    Fahrenheit

Slowly climbing out fo the fatigue hole I dug for myself over the last two weeks........maybe beginning to feel happy again.....
  • Options

This morning -- due to my local pool being closed for annual maintenance -- I did my first open water swim of the year that was not a race!!

I managed to barely beat the rainstorm that moved in.

GPS-derived data is pretty sketchy in the water (I had the bike GPS under my cap), so I'd guess I was closer to 1.15 miles than the 1.26 reported, and updated the Garmin link accordingly.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109198763

Cheers,

Matt

• Options
    Today I was in Washington DC and hit the pool near my office. Terrible pool but better than nothing. Pool only 23 yards so paces based on actual yardage but the sets based on the number of laps in a 25 yard pool.

Overall 2920 yards in 53:46

Paces:
    Warmup 200 – 1:39
    2x500(30) – 1:43, 1:42
    3x400(20) – 1:40, 1:42, 1:41
    4x200(15) – 1:40, 1:40, 1:37, 1:38
    C/D – skipped (someone waiting for the lane)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109197773

I was planning on a run afterwards but had to go to the airport unexpectedly. So I haven't run in a week now. Yikes!
  • Options
    Matt- What a weird length for a pool. Like they couldn't have made the extra 2 yds.? LOL Your legs will be well rested and ready to run at least!

Shaughn- Great effort in climbing out of the hole!

Swam 1/2 mile yesterday easy. The post HIM week plan says to get back to it for long bike/run on the weekend so that is what I will do. (Although I'll be doing the SC plan so "long" isn't too long. I am throwing in the marathon hack too but cutting the workouts in half to accommodate 1/2 marathon in Oct. Just enjoying my week of nothingness while on vaca from work and training! image
  • Options
    Wow, legs still don't wanna play. Planned on doing a modified bike WO with some Z4 but it wasn't happenin'. (On my mtn. bike on a nice flat trail too) I decided to just ride whatever, however I felt like. I really enjoy the flat, shady trail, and the shocks on the mtn. bike. Anyway,, ended up doing about 16 miles in 1:15, avg. bpm 132. (Forgetting my pre-workout caffeine probably didn't help either.)

Just looked at my Polar trainier website and my training load says no training anyway.... Guess that thing is right! image I'll try some treadmill running on Sunday and hopefully will be back to it next week. I know the self-coached training guide for post HIM week says to get back to training at least by the weekend but w/ less intensity but may not work for me. I'm not worried thought... its just a sprint in 2 weeks so I want to try to remember what speed is anyway!
  • Options
    3mi on treadmill. Mostly Z2, finished a bit faster and in Z3. 34:24, 150 avg bpm. Ideally would have done more but that's pretty much my treadmill max. Legs felt OK, right hammy a little sore/tight but that's not too out of the ordinary for me. Just glad the power didn't go out while I was running!

Just hanging with Irene today.... Not too bad where I live, just rain and heavy winds on and off.
  • Options
    Well, I'm WAY off the plan at this point. Did the Chicago Tri (olympic) yesterday. I haven't really don’t the analysis yet but my initial thoughts are that my race was "okay". Overall 2:25:04 compared with last year's 2:25:37. Placing was 11 AG and 61 OA, compared with last year's 11 AG / 76 OA. Bike was 1:03:49 but IF was only 0.894…I just couldn't generate power. Run was 42:59, a bit slower than I'd have liked but it was a slight negative split and I felt like I ran pretty hard and didn't leave too much out on the course. My swim was just terrible…combined, my bike and run were 4:49 better than last year, so I gave it all back on the swim...so I need to think about swim coaching and how I might be able to fit that into the program for the offseason…the "time overhead" to swimming is just huge and so tough for me to rationalize. But man, If I could swim at the same caliber of my run and bike…that'd be huge…
  • Options
    Matt- I hear ya on the swim.... I've been having those same thoughts. (Except your swim times look a lot better than mine) Not sure what it is like in your area, but swim coaches seem hard to come by.