Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Need some helpful advice from all the parents out there please

My wife went back to work this week so I watch my 4 month old until I come into work.  Problem is that she doesn't really like to take a bottle.  She needs to eat but it has been a struggle.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Any tips?  My older daughter would eat anything so wasn't a problem so I am totally bewildered by this. 

Can anyone help this kid out?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe I'm just a cruel stay at home Dad, but most kids don't need to eat. They will eat when the are hungry. Don't force it.

In the unlikely chance they are hungry but not eating, try killing the distractions like TV's, radios, other kids screaming etc. Also, is the food the right temperature (not too hot, not too cold,...just right image)

Try holding them securely rather than at the table if they are young enough (She looks manageable!)

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable mom's out there with better advice, but my three kids appear to be making it through childhood with my parenting skills, as bad as they are.

Good luck!

tom
  • Options
    Wow, Tucker, she is beautiful. With both of our kids, we had panic attacks as my wife got ready to go back to work. Neither one would take a bottle, which meant no rest for Mommy if she had to keep getting up at night, and what would I do during the day??? My oldest just suddenly decided to, with one week to go. With our son, I took over the nighttime duties. It didn't take him long to sleep through the night, cuz I guess if he wasn't getting Mom's breast, Dad just wasn't worth getting up for image

And like Tom said, they're not going to starve themselves. My wife pumped like crazy at work, but my son didn't want it from a bottle. The first few days with her back to work were brutal. But, he finally figured out that if he wanted to eat, he'd have to get it from a bottle.
  • Options
    oh she is darling!! so cute. she doesn't look underfed!! this could be some stressful days for everybody!! yes, I nursed and yes when I was away, Dad had a bottle to feed and nope they didn't want and would wail and carry on or maybe he did, can't remember!! lol. when we got to solid food (and that age changed with each child) things got better as Dad could feed applesauce and the like. yes ditto, check the temp of the bottle, it it too warm, too cold or just right? are you sitting nice and comfy and snuggly when giving it to her, cooing and making eye contact with her? and also, try it before she is screaming.. so you know she should be getting hungry, so offer it when she isn't throwing a fit. once they are redfaced boogered, really hard to console. Check her diaper too, nobody wants to sit and be poopy as well, so a nice dry diaper, a love blanket too.... Also, changing up the nipple on the bottle might be better, it might be too small as in a newborn size or way too big, or even have Xs in it for cereal/milk combo and that would mean it would come out too fast... good luck. m
  • Options
    @Tom I hold her securely but she is a squirmer. But I guess you are correct, she won't starve herself.

@ Geoff Thanks, she is beautiful. She totally has me to thank for that. Wife had nothing at all to do with it. That is what I keep telling myself. I am hoping we have a similar experience as you had with your son. She will get it soon enough that the bottle is the way to go.

@ Marianne No she isn't underfed. I was more asking because my wife feels guilty as all hell about her not taking the bottle. Thanks for the good advice. Cereal milk combo sounds interesting. May have to try that one.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    Tucker... One thing I will say is keep at it. I've had many friends who started the bottle early and then were inconsitent in giving it to them, then their baby just said no to the bottle. I agree with everyone else... Keep trying. You can also try different bottles/nipples. We've had good luck with the evenflo (cheaper) and the avent. Also, make sure you are getting the right flow nipples. At 4 months (i've got a 5 month old son), you should be using the stage 2 nipples, probably. When I had trouble, you can also squirt a little milk in her mouth as you are giving her the bottle. Sooner or later she will swallow it and may realize that its milk in there. Also, if she starts, make sure the first few weeks you also give a bottle on the weekend or she will have a tough Monday.
    Also, check the temp.

As for the cereal, we started my son on rice cereal at 4 months to see if it would help him sleep through the night. Just mix it so it is a runny mixture and spoon it in. Its funny at first (messy, in hair). Some babies are interested some are not, but try it 4 or 5 times.... We just switched to baby oatmeal and he really likes it!

Good luck.
  • Options
    @Peter Different sized nipples!!!! Wow now that is an idea. My mother in law ended up spooning her some milk and cereal and she seemed to like it or so I heard. I think you are correct that we need to keep trying and not just use that as a crutch. Need to look into nipple size. Wow that sounds dirty.
  • Options

Tucker!  What a cutie!  Start looking into convents now! 

With respect to your current issue....underline "current",  we learned that a child does not always know how to do a lot of things like sucking a bottle nipple.  Children do not come with manuals and each child is a different model.  They have to learn for themselves (with your help.)  Our child was also a lazy eater.   We evently had to make additional holes in the nipple so that the milk would flow with little sucking.   

Best of luck with your bundle of joy!