Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Try a Du?

Hey, team--

So I get this flyer in the mail the other day for the National Duathlon Festival Championship in Richmond, VA in April (which I'm guessing a lot of you guys received).

I've never tried a duathlon before and am somewhat intrigued (especially since swimming isn't my strong suit).  For all you ENers who have done one, are they fun?  Nice change of pace?  Any downsides or injury risks?  The distance is 5k run, 38k bike, 5k run so kind of like an Oly tri without the swim. 

I live a couple of hours from Richmond and it seems like it might be kinda cool just to go do it for fun and treat it like a mega-brick workout (i.e. no special build or taper).  And a $75 registration fee ain't too bad.

Thoughts?

-Chris

Comments

• Options

I have done a bunch of them, the hard part is not boggering the first run, most people tend to go out to hard. Other that that you have it right I treat it like a hard brick.

Have at it.

• Options

I did DU Nationals in Richmond last year, here is the report:  www.endurancenation.us/en_forums/showthread.php

I've actually registered for it again this year- although I'm still waffling (plan to do the OBX Half Mary the week before).  That said, this DU would be a great little tune-up for Eagleman (which, dear God, I think I'm doing again this year).  It's a much harder effort speed wise- but you recover quickly because the distance just won't beat you up too much.  Like Steve said- the biggest issue is that first run and pacing it right.

EDIT:  Sorry the link above was my race PLAN, here is the link to the race REPORT: http://www.endurancenation.us/en_fo...php?t=7152

• Options
    i vote you do it! when I get sick of this trying to learn to swim stuff I will someday do a du as well.
  • Options

Good stuff!  I'm leaning toward giving it a try.  Will report back if I take the plunge!

-Chris

• Options
    Chris: I have totally focused my efforts on doing dus. I have yet to make the transitions to tris. The swimming part just don't interest me. Someday maybe. I can't say I have a ton of experience since I have only this will only be my 3rd year (1st full year and OS in the Haus). Like others have said the hard part so far has been not going out to hard on the initial run. I have primarily focused on the long course dus, which are very similar to a HM. This season I am attempting the Am Zofingen and Powerman Zofingen which are considered ultra dus and are close to a full IM in distance.

I have found the EN IM/HIM plans have worked will for me by simply dropping the swim workouts. It would actually be cool if RnP would adopt dus into EN and provide specific plans for them. I am sure there are others in the Haus who are not completely tri-geeks. I am sure that we could be doing something with the extra time we aren't swimming. Even though it is nice to now that I have 2 planned days off a week, if needed.

I agree with the other, for for it and have fun. I would do them myself but they are only 4 weeks before the AZ.

Pete
  • Options
    I've done a bunch of DUs and have several on my schedule for 2010. I did Nats in Richmond the first year and it was a total cluster. I hear they made improvements last year but I don't know if I'd ever do it again. It was a wet morning and the bike course was on some tight roads with a down hill into a 90deg turn. I've never seem so many people bloody and road rashed in my life. Plus, the shoulder of the big bridge was littered with broken glass...an unusually large number of flats that day. I just think the course was planned poorly and the city didn't do much to put on a good show. So...definitely race a DU, just can't recommend Richmond.
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  Great to see the diversity of athletes in the Haus.  Maybe I look for one closer to home insteady of trying my first one at Richmond.  Variety is definitely a good thing!

-Chris

• Options
    I did my first one this last Summer and really enjoyed it. Felt strange at start though. Instead of butterflys and nerves thinking about a swim, I was extremely relaxed, just thinking I was going on a run and a bike ride. Ended up in top 5 fastest bike splits due EN workouts. I plan on doing the event again.
  • Options
    I did my first one, a 2-15-2, last year in mid-Feb - and I just signed up again for it.

In agreement with the others, the first run cooked my legs for the bike, and therefore the 2nd run SUCKED! Pace/effort needs to be LOW for the first run if youexpect to keep up the pace/effort on the second run.
  • Options
    I'll add that Du Nationals certainly got their stuff together in the second year. It was actually a pretty cool weekend with the Off-Road Du and kids races on Sat and then the Men/Woman AG on-road races on Sunday. I liked the course in a weird sadistic sorta way- but it did get a bit crowded on those hills. They also have great swag and the competition is top notch because the only way to qualify for Worlds is to earn a spot at Nats. That said- Frankly I think Richmond might be the closest shot for a DU in your area. Next up would be races by Pirana Sports (which is gonna be mostly northern MD/Delaware/NJ): http://www.piranha-sports.com/ or VADU (which is gonna be more VA Beach area): http://www.virginiaduathlon.kalerunning.com/
  • Options

I love duathlons.  Steve is right about not "boogering" the first run though because the bottom will drop out on the second run.  The 5/5km runs are great but the long course 5/10km runs are challenging.

• Options

Ok, for the experienced Dus, using EN Philosophy pacing zones on the run. How do you approach the 1st run? what Kind of zone? Then on 2nd run, do you build, or give it what you have?

if my knee iis cooperating, I  may do Brandywine DU end of March just as a fun thing to do.  It is a 5k/40k/5k.

• Options

Trouble with pacing Du's is that there isn't really much consistency between race distances and there isn't much consistent advice out there on how to pace them.   There seems to be a lot more variation IMHO between what various racers can suffer through on a sprint DU (some folks may be able to hold close to their 5K pacing on a race you describe while others will need to back down to 10K or maybe even 10M pacing) .  You'll find a little advice & discussion in these old threads:

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_fo...php?t=6601

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_fo...php?t=5994