Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Going shopping for a Macbook. What do I need to know?

So after a year or so of fighting with my current laptop (Microsoft O/S) I'm in the market for a new laptop and considering making the switch over to Mac.  Interested in folks' thoughts regarding what I need to know.  Been working on Microsoft O/S based computers so really not sure the implcations of my making a switch, particularly as it relates to some of the software we use (WKO, Computrainer, Garmin, etc).   Most concerned about being able to run WKO and my Computrainer software and how best to do this on a Mac.  Also interested in thoughts from those of you who have switched to Mac regarding the +/- of Mac vs. Microsoft system as I'm still grapping with the cost differential and convincing myself that extra coin is justified. 

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Aaron, I just went through a desk-top replacement. I have been a MAC laptop user for 2 years and will NEVER, NEVER go back to a PC. I purchased an iMAc for the pain cave last week and went through Small Dog Electronics out of Vermont.

I had them install VMWare Fusion 3 and Windows XP to run my CT, WKO, and Garmin. Still have not had time to install these, but I know several folks here are running those without problems.
  • Options

no idea on the computrainer but I run WKO on parallels on my macbook with no problems whatsoever. Love my laptop!! image

• Options

Aaron,

I feel confident in saying that a Macbook or Macbook Pro will satisfy 95% of your computing needs. I did Mac consulting and concierge services or many years so if you have a specific question I'd be happy to provide an answer. For the more general questions, googling something like "switch to mac from windows" will more than likely provide hours of "reading pleasure".

What you've listed so far is definitely do-able. You can run WKO+ with separate software (Parallels, VMware Fusion, VirtualBox, etc.) that emulates a real PC running alongside your mac. You'll need a licensed copy of Windows to run on that emulated PC. I try to minimize the time I spend in Windows land, so I do all my Garmin syncing stuff on the Mac OS side and move the files over to the Windows side via "drag and drop" or a shared folder. This PC running windows will always be there or any particular that you can't live without that isn't available in any form on Mac OS.

*** If you already have WKO+ 2.2 installed on a Windows machine, I do not believe you'll be able to move that installation to the emulated PC running on Mac OS (I could be wrong here). So that might be the perfect time to pony up an upgrade to WKO+ 3.0 (which does happen to allow the moving of licenses from machine to machine)

As far as cost goes, I look at it as a quality of life issue. For me the Mac OS interface and way of life is easier and more intuitive. If you switch there will be an adjustment period. But while not perfect the Mac OS way generally makes sense. Apple has the HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) that basically state how an App should look/feel so if you launch a new app, things generally work the same and all the stuff is in the same spot. Most Mac OS developers pride themselves by following this HIG and you end up with a consistent User Experience going from App to App.

Oh and if you get a Mac you'll have made a strong move from the Geek Column to the Chic column image

• Options

Aaron,

Cary said it all very nicely. I run WKO on my Mac, running Parallels. That and Quicken are about the only programs I need to run Windows for (the Quicken for Mac version stinks). And tests show that Windows actually runs faster on most Macs.

The only thing I would add concerning working on Macs is that "it just works". My brother refuses to buy a Mac because he says they're too expensive, and says he can pick up a super-fast Dell for like $500. Yet he's on his 3rd computer in about 5-6 years (not by choice), hates their customer service (but calls them all the time), and is generally always stressed-out about his computer. One of these days I'll get him to switch.

Also, if you have an Apple Store near you, I would recommend signing up for a year of their One-to-One service. You can schedule weekly sessions to sit down with an Apple employee, and cover a topic of your choice - from moving files to your new computer, basic stuff, or even advanced projects. My sister made the switch about a year and a half ago, buying an iMac. She's very computer literate and can pretty much resolve most computer problems. But, she said she liked the One-to-One her first year, sitting down with an Apple Store employee to learn the differences between operating systems and getting the most of the included Apple software, like iLife, etc. And she would keep a pad of paper next to her computer, and keep a running list of questions to ask at her next session.

Good luck!

• Options

when my old lap top died, I emailed the wko peeps and basically just said hey- longtime user who upgraded to 2.0 and my machine is dead. really don't want to have to buy it a 3rd time, can I get a code?? they emailed me back a code asap and instructions on how to get my old files off the hard drive. wound up DL'ing it onto the new one and then used the new code, transferred everything and voila. worked like a champ.

I basically had to create a backup of my old wko folder and then transfer that over to their "transfer tool". wasn't hard to do at all. image

• Options
    Thanks folks! Helpful info and perspectives. Just returned from a road trip to Providence (closest Apple store about an hour away) where I spent about an hour with an incredibly helpful consultant there who walked me through everything I needed to consider wrt making the purchase. Was told a lot of what you all shared. Was surprised how pain free an experience it was and how knowledgeable this guy was. No pressure and was even shown a Macbook first as he felt that for what I was looking for that would've been more than enough computer. From there it was just doing comparisons between Macbook and Macbook Pro and then the increases in screen size (13" vs. 15") to determine if I wanted "more". While the price was certainly intimidating I now sit here typing on my new Macbook Pro. Figured it would pay for itself over the next 3+ years taking into account all the frustration I've had with my Windows O/S laptop and number of times I've replaced computers over the last few years. Already loving it. Easy to set up out of box, intuitive to figure out so far with what little I've done. What I haven't been able to figure out my 10 year old has been explaining to me (she's been using a Macbook in school for the last 3 years). No question I'm going to be happy with this purchase at least until next months Visa bill comes. Biggest downside I've noted is that I'm playing on this new machine instead of heading down to the cave to get today's ride done.
  • Options

Only question I didn't see answered above was the CompuTrainer. I've been using my CT via the Mac (now on a MacBook Pro) for two years. It works just fine via Parallels, and even better via Boot Camp. Just need to make sure the USB cable from the CT to the computer is recognized by the Windows side before starting up CT software.

• Options
    Thanks Al.
  • Options

Congrats on your new MacBook Pro Aaron! 

I had a list of must install things for switchers but it got very out-of-date and I did not do any upkeep when I stopped consulting, however...

I'd recommend installing Perian and Flip4Mac. Together they allow Quicktime to playback a lot of movie files that you may encounter and probably already have on your windows box.