Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workout Posts - Week of April 16

I was right - today's run was no casual jog.  Am still tired from the weekend's riding, but sucked it up and attempted the run this morning.  Only managed 1.5 miles of the scheduled 3 miles at TP (intermediate plan).  Legs like lead and just could not do it.  Looking at the numbers after the run, my HR did not get up to where it should have been, despite the high RPE.  So I need to rest up.  Only swimming until Wednesday AM, so I will take advantage of that.  I'm sure I'll adapt in another week or two.  A rough transition though, jumping into the HIM plan at week 12 after the November OS.

Comments

• Options

Damn Jim, way to get out there early and run on tired legs after the weekend!  I try to swim early on Monday and run in the evening if possible to give my legs a little bit more space/time........

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168733135

Had a 3,200M swim early........ 

• Options
    Maybe I'll give that a shot next week!
  • Options

Very, very bizarre swim today.

After missing all my workouts due to meetings and traveling to DC yesterday, I rolled off the plane in Prague and hit lunch then some meetings. Then off to the pool before cocktails and dinner. But where to swim? Well, a Google search for "Prague swimming pools" gives me a few options.

Option #1. Podoli pool complex. 10 minute tram ride. There are 3 pools: an outdoor 50m, and indoor 50m and an outdoor 33m. Pretty cool since I never swim in a 50m (Olympic size) pool. http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=805

Option #2. Axa pool. 4 minute walk from my hotel. 25m pool. Look at the picture of the beauty, how could I resist: http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=611

Well, internet pics don't tell the whole story. In fact, in this case they don't tell any part of the story. The Axa pool is in the basement of a hotel that is currently closed for renovations. But the pool was still open. Actually it is closed from 4-5pm and I showed up at 4pm, so I went back to the hotel then returned at 5pm. I have no idea how the pic is so well-lit…picture a Soviet-esque, grim, dimly-lit basement. That's where I was. Also, when I showed up, the lane-ropes in the pic were nowhere to be found. But whatever. A swim is a swim, and I was the first one in the pool after the 5pm re-opening.

So I jumped in and started the 400 warmup. But by halfway through the first set of 500 I started running into people. And by the end of that first set the pool was just JAMMED with people. There were a few dudes doing laps like me but most people were just breaststroking, backstroking, talking to one another, whatever. And despite my scoping out one of the side "lanes" people were swimming around like no one was doing laps. There was even a kid taking a lesson with a pool noodle who drifted into my "lane". So it was sort of like an open water swim, only I had to dodge everyone once I sighted them. Just crazy. I probably pissed a bunch of people off but wtf, I was there first! One more serious issue is that I had a lot of trouble settling into a set of strokes with good form because I couldn't keep my head down. So that was a bummer.

In any case I completed the scheduled 3,200m workout (btw, that's 3,500 yards!!). When I got out of course there was no towel service so I dried myself off with my undershirt and put on my sweater and walked 4 minutes back to the hotel. Oh, and of course I paid for the pool time, which was 1czk per minute. They rounded up and charged me for 80min (probably because I couldn't understand them), but that is equivalent to $4.40 so not too bad at all.

Overall 3200m in 1:08:18 (includes all rest intervals plus 1:00 rest between each MS). NOTE: I converted the paces below to /100yd, although Garmin Connect is reporting them in /100m since the watch was set to a pool in meters. Obviously the paces reflect a sub-optimal workout given the conditions.

Paces:

Warmup 400 – 1:41

MS1:

- 2x500(20) – 1:43, 1:47

- 2x400(15) – 1:48, 1:47

- 2x300(10) – 1:50, 1:48

MS2:

- 6x50(20), as 25 hard / 25 easy – 1:37, 1:39, 1:39, 1:41, 1:44, 1:41

I seriously slammed someone on the 5th interval and lost a couple of seconds

Cooldown 100 – 1:54

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169159637

I'm going to see how my leg holds up on a run tomorrow, and then on Thursday may try the OTHER pool complex to see if that fares any better. If nothing else I'm getting some cultural experiences!

• Options
    Another good map for the Garmin collection. Running in Prague by the river. That said, I'm not sure why, but I just felt really weak out there today. I couldn't get the pace up at all. Oh well, they can't all be super workouts, right?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169281859
  • Options
    @Matt, I feel sorry for you, but yes swimming in public indoor & outdoor pools is difficult on most central european contries mainly because they used for "bathing" not swimming during the main hours, that is because they are normally supported by the city hence they focus on the broad public.
    So Swim there either off-hours or in larger pools... FWIW was in the Podoli 3years ago, can really recommend it they had 2 lanes always for swimming, but you need to check the schedules, so that you not kicked out. I took a cab going there, to the tram back, always easier to get back to the center.
  • Options
    Swam 3,200M yesterday morning.  Moved my Sat Big Day up to today to allow for weekend trip to Houston with the family:

2,500M swim at 6:30, uneventful, 54 degrees.

Bike protocol was 30' Z1, 2.5 hours 70-75%. My 2.5 hour interval came in at .743 and overall was 57 Miles, 19.5 mph ........warmed up on the bike and I drank 100 ounces with 600 calories and one salt tab......uneventful.

Run: my goal was sub 8 first 3 miles and negative split that last 3 miles. Last 3 miles it got really hot and I was losing sweat by the buckets but all the nutrition held up. Came in at 7:50 first 3 and 7:21 last 3 holding the line with mental toughness on that one. Avg was 7:36 for the 6 miles.

290 TSS today………probably need a nap, -40 TSB………   All, thanks for the great support!

Entire workout (212 watts):

Duration:                3:02:28

Work:                     2319 kJ

TSS:                       164.5 (intensity factor 0.738)

Norm Power:          218

VI:                           1.03

Distance:               59.264 mi

Elevation Gain:      1860 ft

Elevation Loss:      1904 ft

Grade:                    -0.0 %  (-40 ft)

Min      Max     Avg

Power:                    0          503      212      watts

Heart Rate:            86        239      138      bpm

Cadence:               30        191      80        rpm

Speed:                    0          36.8     19.4     mph

• Options
    Tuesday - AM - 70 mins hard bike on the trainer (TSS = 80) + 5 mile brick run at slow pace. PM - 2500 yards in the pool relearning how to swim with correct kick timing. 15 mins core also.

Wednesday - AM - 1500 yards in the pool + 48 mins technique focus on the trainer. Tonight: Coached swim/run brick. It's 4 x (1/4 mile OWS + 1 mile run). Not fun, but it's a great workout.

@ Shaughn - Sunday morning I biked 57 miles out of San Antonio, FL for 3,169 feet of elevation gain (including ice cream hill, the triple bitch, and a bunch of other unnamed bastards). My Garmin said it was 73 at the beginning of the ride and 89.6 when I finished. St Croix has 3,648 ft of gain.
  • Options
    Great long run this morning - what a difference a week makes. Hit all the paces without too much difficulty, and finished feeling pretty good. Started around 5:20 AM. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169582899 A little sleepy here at work... @Shaughn - great race rehearsal! I have one Saturday. Looking at little wet at the moment, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Day 3 in Prague and I decided to try the "other" pool complex (the one that Kai mentioned above...Podoli): http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=805

No one spoke any English so it was a bit complicated to get in. Once I figured it out I made it onto the deck of the indoor 50m pool. About half of the lanes had ropes separating them, and the other half of the pool was "open". After some difficulty it was clear that the lanes with ropes were for the local team training. So I had to swim in the "open" area. But luckily it was not too busy and I was soon in the pool hammering out my workout.

Having never done a workout in a 50m pool all I'll say is that it's AWESOME. First, you just swim forever! You can really get into a groove and focus on your strokes and form. Second, psychologically it is just great to swim half the number of laps. Really, 500m is just 5 laps! Amazing!

Partway through my workout, however, the problems of the public pool got to me. At the end of my second 500 I noticed that the "open" part of the pool in which I was swimming became roped off with a lane rope. Undaunted, I did the first of my two 400s, but during my 15" rest interval the coach indicated that I needed to move into the "open" part of the pool (which was now one lane narrower, and starting to get busy). I did the next 400 although in the last few lengths I started to have to dodge people. Then in the first lap of the set of 300s I ran straight into someone. We hit hard enough that I later found out my Garmin triggered a new lap! At that point I decided it was time to call it a day…I had already done 2600m so it was a decent workout.

Paces (converted to /100 yards):
    Warmup
    50(20) – 1:29
    450 – 1:43
    MS1:
    - 2x500(20) – 1:43, 1:45
    - 2x50 – 1:48, 1:39 (started as a 400 but first lap water in goggles)
    - 1x100 – 1:49 (again, water in goggles!)
    - 2x400(15) – 1:47, 1:49 (traffic building…)
    Then a lap of 100 where I hit someone so the times are not relevant

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169621215
  • Options

@ Matt - WTG on the swim adventures with all the pool chaos!

@ Jim - Strong work on that long run bro!  Tues was a Big Day vs. a RR meaning less intensity on the bike leg than a normal RR and yes, fortunately all went very well.

@ Paul - always strong consistent work from you.  I guess that's how you get to #1 AG placings - great example!  Keep leading.

@Kai - strong work - stay consistent and you will see the returns!

Thurs:

Completed my hell brick with 53’ of Z4 then 4 mile run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169632767

Interval 1:

Duration:                14:01

TSS:                       22.6 (intensity factor 0.984)

Norm Power:          290

Interval 3:

Duration:                10:01

TSS:                       16 (intensity factor 0.978)

Norm Power:          288

Interval 5:

Duration:                10:02

TSS:                       16 (intensity factor 0.978)

Norm Power:          289

Interval 7:

Duration:                8:00

TSS:                       12.5 (intensity factor 0.97)

Norm Power:          286

Interval 9:

Duration:                8:01

TSS:                       12.7 (intensity factor 0.973)

Norm Power:          287

Entire workout (236 watts):

Duration:                1:26:43

TSS:                       111.4 (intensity factor 0.88)

Norm Power:          259

Min      Max     Avg

Power:                    0          354      236      watts

Heart Rate:            85        157      142      bpm

Cadence:               32        162      84        rpm

Speed:                    0          29.3     22.5     mph

Pace                       2:03     0:00     2:40     min/mi

Temperature:         73.4     78.8     76.5     Fahrenheit

Friday:

This morning, I arrived early to swim but coach kept us out of the pool today due to the surround thunderstorms, so hopped on the treadmill and did my Monday 2 X 1.5s, no footpod.   The only thing worse than Bike Z4s this early in the morning are Run Z4 intervals…..was like a bad dream but dialed in 8.7 mph on the treadmill and 1.0% grade then just let her rip and hung on……………

Funny to watch all the other sleep heads at this hour walking by with the stares………   

I have a swim to try and fit in this afternoon….

• Options
    Ran 8 miles last night, swam 3500 yards this morning. May do a short run tonight and pop off some 220s. Race rehearsal scheduled for tomorrow, but Shaughn's thunderstorms are heading this way. I may have to flip Sat/Sun depending on the weather.

@ Matt - not optimal, but it sounds a lot better than the pool pinball you were playing in the first venue!
  • Options

Back to doing my workouts right after rolling off a 9+ hour flight. This time it was a swim/run "aqua-brick"...took a taxi from O'Hare straight to the pool...

That said, a surprising performance given the massive travel. But then again, I have logged some pretty epic workouts right after rolling off long international flights. I also think that hitting a gel at the beginning of my pool workout, and half a Myoplex after the swim portion, contributed as well.

The swim was just great…I could feel that my stroke and form held up deep into the workout, whereas usually it falls apart. My strokes per length, which in the 25 yd pool usually start at 9-10 then end up mostly at 11, ended up rock solid at 10 for the most part. I was really focusing on extending forward then generating power throughout the whole stroke and finishing, as well as rolling my body properly. I think the increased swim fitness is driving my ability to hold the form for longer into the workout. In any case these lap times are at least 4-5 sec/100 better than last year in peak condition. Obviously I'm not where I should be by any means, but it is good improvement nonetheless.

Overall 2850 yd in 51:01 (includes all rest intervals). I didn't adhere to the workout protocol exactly due to my goggles leaking at the beginning of some sets and requiring me to stop then re-start the set. Also I omitted a 50 from one of the 300's.

Paces:

Warmup 300 – 1:35

MS:

- 3x400(20) – 1:37, 1:36, 1:38

- 3x100(15) – 1:38, 1:39, 1:39, 1:39

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170048709

The run was pretty surprising considering all the trouble I've had on the run lately and the nagging injuries. For some (amazing) reason nothing was hurting, so despite the MONSTER wind from the north I ended up with pretty nice paces.

Overall 6.37 miles in 42:58 (6:45 pace). Lap 1 was clearly a GPS error. Lap 3 was into that brutal wind and lap 4 was with the wind at my back. Lots of traffic stops in the city going to/from the lakefront path.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

2:30.6

5:53

6:34.2

6:45

13:27.3

7:18

11:50.3

6:32

8:35.3

6:33

• Options

@ Matt - compared to you, I am a total slacker.

St Croix 70.3 Race Rehearsal today. Weather cooperated and I got it all in before the thunderstorms rolled in. To get the hills I have to drive an hour towards cental Fl, but I have a 57 mile route starting in San Antonio, FL that has a lot of hills...worth the drive when you have a hilly race coming up. I did the same ride 6 days ago in 3:02 and my Garmin said 3169 elevation gain. But after I synced it to known benchmarks, that fell to only 2992 elevation gain. But I rode it in 2:51 today, coming through 56 at 2:48:15, just 15 seconds off 20 mph pace. I was chasing 222 watts (85%) on the hills swinging way over and under depending on the terrain. Interesting result was that my avg power last weekend was 196 and today it dropped to 192 yet ended up 11 mins faster on the same course. I guess the execution was much better...I tried to dial back on the climbs and chased the power on the descents. I only averaged 8:48 per mile for the 6 mile run after, but I felt good and attribute the slower pace to the 7 x 220yd sprints I did last night -- probably not optimal prep for a RR! I've been experimenting with Pickle Juice Sport to try and avoid cramps in the heat and humidity down there. I can tolerate the taste, but man, you've got to want it bad to subject yourself to this stuff. Anyway, 15 days out from my second HIM this year and I'm feeling stronger; although this race will be more competitive than San Juan.

• Options

@ Matt and Paul,  mental six pack stuff going in your workouts,  WTG!

My swim last night: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170340189 - 3,000M

Long run tomorrow..............

• Options

@ Paul - ok, so I hear you on these small elevation differences, but it can't matter...where was "THE BEAST"???!!!!!

As for me, a big workout day in the books...decent ride despite ridiculous cold at the beginning and a brutal wind from the north…almost 3.5 hours of ride time so really ramping the volume on the bike at this point in the plan.

Overall ride 3:25:34, NP 214  (IF 0.875), TSS 260.0, elevation gain 2388. Distance 65.34 miles, avg 19.1mph. HR data is completely screwed up for any north and eastbound parts due to the wind I think.

Warmup

27' – NP: 138 (IF 0.564), VI 1.07, cadence: 69, 16.5mph

FTP (z4) intervals

8' – NP: 245 (IF 1.005), VI 1, cadence: 82, 23.3mph

10' – NP: 250 (IF 1.025), VI 1, cadence: 81, 22.4mph

10.5' – NP: 253 (IF 1.039), VI 1.02, cadence: 84, 22.2mph

12' – NP: 263 (IF 1.076), VI 1, cadence: 80, 19.5mph

12' – NP: 251 (IF 1.030), VI 1, cadence: 84, 23.8mph

Abnormally low cadence…interesting

z3 intervals

47' – NP: 214 (IF 0.877), VI 1, cadence: 80, 20.2mph

40' – NP: 217 (IF 0.890), VI 1, cadence: 82, 20.2mph

Recoveries (one after z4 intervals, one between the z3 intervals)

11' – NP: 141 (IF 0.579), VI 1.1, cadence: 68, 15.6mph

11' – NP: 143 (IF 0.588), VI 1.15, cadence: 67, 16.2mph

The brick had to be postponed due to needing to get home, but I managed to squeeze in the run before dinner. My legs were really feeling the effects of the bike before I started running but once I got going, well, I got going…

Overall 4.15 miles in 26:43 (6:26 pace). Actually that route usually measures 6.2-6.24 so I might have even been faster.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

3:14.2

6:52

3:19.2

6:22

3:03.9

6:27

1:46.3

6:56

4:17.3

6:13

1:48.6

7:03

2:59.2

6:10

3:17.5

6:22

2:56.3

6:05

Next up…tomorrow…killer indoor ABP ride…
  • Options

@ Matt - solid 3 hour ride / run bro!  WTG!

My schedule was moved around this week and I was left with the long run this morning.

Had a brown shorts, long run morning.  Legs a bit hammered going into this from the week’s volume but was a beautiful morning for a run.

Went to the bathroom before I left as always but, needed to go again after the 30’ WU.   No bathroom close so did the Z4 interval and passed a bathroom in order to avoid stopping in the middle of the interval (mistake.)  Finished the interval in front of the YMCA but it was closed.  Started into my recovery period and had to find a bush, no waiting………………..was ugly.

Did a 2 X 1 mile Z4 and a 3 X 2 mile Z2:

….just did the best I could with this considering all things………..
  • Options
    @ Shaughn, nice move!!

My ride today was nuts. Plain and simple. I have never been so close to being physically unable to complete a workout. Another long indoor ABP ride -- these are epic and incredibly high quality workouts. I am considering doing all ABPs indoors this summer (although if the basement gets hot in the summer it will be simply impossible to complete). This time I managed z3 of 2x45' then 15'. Next time maybe I'll try to kick off the z3 with a 60' set…

Overall 2:08:10 @ NP 198 watts (1 watt less than last weekend's indoor ABP ride), IF 0.813. Warmup 15' then:

- 45'(4') @z3 – NP 210 (IF 0.860), HR 151/160, cad 90
    - 45'(4') @z3 – NP 207 (IF 0.847), HR 157/163, cad 90
    - 15' @z3 – NP 195 (IF 0.805), HR 154/159, cad 88 (just brutal)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170870465

So another big weekend on the bike. And a huge volume week lies ahead…

Oh, and I managed to get the pool for a quick 300 yd (yes, really, 300) while my girls were having lessons today. In addition to the 300 I decided to practice flip turns! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170875450

• Options

Haven't downloaded my garmin files yet, catched some cold beginning and kept training => made things worse,

Sun 15th -> several sets of 50 and 75m sprints with 25m slow recovery -> Getting back on FORM

Mon 16th -> Bike Sufferfest: Hell hath no fury on Ergobike at the gym ... kind of fun ... definitly killing though workouts ... skipped the some minuets to make it before they close

Tue 17th -> Lunch: Swimming 2x(3x (4x50m desending to max sprint) descending wall time) + 5x100m descending

17th -> Run: 2x1.6km Z4, 2x800m Z4

Wed 18th -> felt crappy ... canceled wko ... added some office time (till 11pm)

Thu -19th > like thu

Fri and Sat 20/21 -> still no better

Sun 22nd -> am 45min Z1/Z2 jog to get some mojo back ..

This week, will do some Z1/Z2 stuff next days hope to get back on schedule by thursda, have actually a bike race on the 1-May, so i hope to get some longer Z1/Z2 stuff as the week grows and take some rest the day before..

Hope your week will be better for you ...

• Options
    @ Matt - after St Croix, I'm adding a de-humidifier to my Pain Cave...hoping that will get me through the summer and earn some SAUs from the frau in the form of reduced laundry. Got you beat on flip turns, I mastered that at age 52 but it took me over 6 months to nail it...that's the only thing I can do as well as the former collegiate swimmers!

@ Shaughn - sounds like a shitty training day! image

Sunday - 13 mile run, 2500 yards swimming + 15 mins core routine
  • Options

You guys are pulling me!  Some strong men in this group!

Swam 3,200 yds yesterday.  Testing week for me (week 4)

303 NP 42:00.00 trainer test    – very close to my peak OS wattage of 308 tested last time in week 14 (12 weeks ago.)  4.1 w/kg.  Happy to maintain that wattage with the added swim/bike/run volumes of HIM training and actually surprised frankly…… 

Bike:

Run:

Moving forward...........
  • Options
    Great job Shaughn. I haven't tested since the OS. After I recover from St Croix, I'm going to switch to a mix of short course/long course training and retest in June before I go to Muncie. Speaking of St Croix, Lance announced yesterday that he is coming. I'm glad the pro's go first because it would be demoralizing to be climbing the beast in my granny gear and have him blow by me in some impossible gear ratio. It's bad enough that Andy Potts will probably swim in less than 1/2 of what it takes me.

Monday AM - 4100 yards swimming + 57 mins trainer w TSS = 70.3
    Tuesday AM - 61 mins trainer w TSS = 52.7 Will be running tonight. Time to start the taper so I can line up with Lance!