Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workout posts week of May 28th

Week 17 of HIM plan starts today for me and feeling strong and confident.  On the agenda for today is a swim and run.

I got the swim done early today.  I've been doing my own thing in the pool the last 2 months just to get more comfortable in the water.  I really haven't ever swam too much before this past December so it's been a real confidence booster.  Unfortunately I haven't seen much progress in the way of speed the last couple of weeks so I'm going to follow the prescribed EN workouts from here on in to see if I can eke out anything more.  I did 3000 yards as 400 WU followed by 16 X 100 as 50 fast/ 50 easy, 16 X 50 as 25 fast/ 25 easy, then 200 CD.  All I can say is WOW, after about 6 - 100's my arms were feeling it.  Got it done though and would say it was a quality swim!

Did the run workout this afternoon.  On the plan was 3 X 1 mile at Z4 - Z5.  It was in the mid to high 80's and had to break the intervals up into smaller chunks to get the work done at the prescribed paces.  Garmin says I ran 5.1 but if I include the distance traveled while my watch was stopped it was probably around 7 miles.  I drank a lot during the workout and still lost over 4 pounds.  Water never tasted so good!  Here are the details:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183198339

Comments

• Options

Oh yeah, wanted to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day. Hope you got to spend some quality time with your families.  Thank you to those of you who are serving or have served in the military.

• Options
    Slept 9 1/2 hrs then hit the pool for 4,100 yds. Did 20 miles on the trainer as active recovery and focusing on cycling drills. Had a 1 hr massage. Will do 15 min core workout if I can get motivated.
  • Options

@ Paul, 9.5 hours sleep...SWEET. I've been seriously sleep-deprived lately (today is a perfect example...read on...) and hope to do some catching up soon.

Week #19 this week and I did some shuffling to my plan. Today called for swim/run but I'm traveling again this week so instead took the opportunity to get on the bike this morning -- which required a 4:50am wakeup after an evening visiting with an old friend who was in town for the holiday. I had the whole 2:15 ride ride done and uploaded by 7:20 in the morning. Yikes.

Overall it was a good ride. The route I used is from my house in the city so yields a lot lower quality workout than many others, but I got in some very solid z3 intervals and it was an effective workout for sure. Overall I'm pretty happy with the effort given it was the 3rd day in a row of 2+ hour biking.

Overall ride 2:14:06, NP 197 (IF 0.777), TSS 134.4. Distance 45.48 miles, avg 20.4mph.

Warmup in the city

24.5' – NP: 146 (IF 0.574), VI 1.04, HR 112/125, cad 81, 18.6mph

6' – NP: 149 (IF 0.588), VI 1.01, HR 111/115, cad 81, 20.5mph

ABP intervals

30' – NP: 219 (IF 0.860), VI 1.01, HR 138/144, cad 86, 22.4mph

30' – NP: 219 (IF 0.862), VI 1.00, HR 147/144, cad 87, 22.3mph

Remainder time back in the city

12.5' – NP: 209 (IF 0.824), VI 1.00, HR 134/143, cad 86, 20.3mph

17' – NP: 198 (IF 0.778), VI 1.02, HR 130/140, cad 81, 19.5mph

I then had a massive brunch and went to a Cubs game and baked in the sun all day...but then had to fit in the run portion since I had no time for the brick this morning. The catch? Well by this evening it was over 90 degrees and humid. So the run was tough.

Overall 4.48 miles in 30:01, 6:43 pace. But included 3 water stops.

Warmup 9'@ 6:33

2x5'(1') – 6:33, 6:28

(2x1' recoveries 7:23, 8:04, then a 3' recovery 7:40)

Remainder time 6' @ 6:35

Now off to DC on business for most of this week, where I will swim and run. Then next week is taper-time!!

• Options
    I woke up around 3:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep so I hit the pool early this morning. 3400 yards as 400 WU then 6 X 500. Couldn't hit the RR - 2-3'' pace as the plan called for but I worked hard anyways. This is probably a result of not having 24 hours rest or more since my last swim.

Done for today. Back at it tomorrow evening with an FTP test! Train hard everyone!
  • Options

Hi Folks!

I'm in my 2nd transition week, just finished January OS 20 weeks. Whew!! Boy, I'm really enjoying the 2 week break. Much needed.

So next week I start into the Intermediate HIM plan with a HIM in Mid-August. I was looking for a new group to join and this one is perfect!!

Enrique

• Options
    @ Enrique...welcome...good to see you again!!

Well I was able to knock out my 20x100(20) pool workout before dinner…now headed for some steak with clients (hence I'm skipping the post-workout Myoplex bar). As usual when working out in DC I was in the 23.75 yard pool with the Garmin set to 24 yards. So this makes my paces look 1-2 sec/100 faster than in reality.

Overall 2400 yd in 44:53 (includes all rest intervals). Avg efficiency score 35.

Paces:

Warmup 300 – 1:36

Main set: 20x100(20) with 50 easy after each 5x100:
    5x100(20): 1:29, 1:30, 1:29, 1:30, 1:30
    5x100(20): 1:28, 1:29, 1:28, 1:29, 1:29
    5x100(20): 1:28, 1:28, 1:27, 1:29, 1:29
    5x100(20): 1:28, 1:28, 1:27, 1:28, 1:28

Active recovery 50yd between each 5x100: 1:32, 1:31, 1:32, 1:33

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183552137

• Options
    @ Matt - I slept another 9 hours last night. I was just dead. Does your body even know what time zone it's supposed to be in? image

Today - woke up early to run ... went back to bed instead. Got up with just enough time to get in 15 mins core work. PM - ran 9 miles. When I started, I was so tired, I wanted to turn around and go to bed. But I got going, caught my breath and ended up getting in a pretty good run. But my Garmin died somewhere around 3 miles and I had to guess the distance.
  • Options
    Man, you don't want to know how little sleep I'm getting these days. It's terrible. Today is a great example...I woke up at 5am to get a flight to DC, spent the day there including a client dinner that ended at 9pm. Then I realized the 10pm flight to Chicago was delayed and I'd be able to get home tonight. So I went for it. Then it was delayed until almost 1am. So now I'm typing this in a car from O'hare to my house at 2am CT. Lovely. I'm planning on seriously recharging during the taper next week and getting a LOT of sleep. Actually I'll be in DC for most of the week in a really nice hotel and am blocking my calendar from any morning meeitngs that might try to disturb me!.
  • Options

@ Matt - once we see you rested - you're going to be a monster bro!

I have been too busy to post this week but hitting most everything:

Monday Memorial day:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183101414  Did my 7.3 mile 3 X 1s in 90+ degree heat with hills today.  NGPs were:  7:28, 7:03, & 7:08 on a target of 7:30 for 90+ degrees.

I walked the 4’ rest breaks to try an get my HR down and took in 10 ounces of water after each interval.

Missed the swim due to family holiday activities

Tues a.m.  Swam 2,800 M early before work.

Tues p.m. We had our annual company event in the Frisco Dr. Pepper Ball Park stadium yesterday afternoon.  I was on one of 4 softball teams.  We started at 2:30 and won the first game carrying us immediately into the second (championship game)  I was center field.  Spent 3 hours in 94- 95 degree heat sweating like a pig then ate several hamburgers after the event (mistake)

Wed a.m.

Woke this morning feeling uneasy.  Hopped on the bike early (5:48 a.m.) only to know about 18 minutes into the WU that an FTP test was not going to happen:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183789462

Wednesday Round II: 

Re-grouped, showered, ate, coffee, ran two stressful global meetings from my home, took two large dumps (TMI) and hopped back on the bike for a round II attempt just before lunch:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183789455

Somehow made it through hell and back with a 306 FTP (see lower right of below screen print) on the trainer vs. 303 last test…………..  302 First 20’ and 316 2nd 20’…….   I was thinking I would come in with something lower than the last test due to the increased volume but it worked.  I think 308 is my all time high, but that is coming right out of the OS, so considering all things………I am pleased with these results………   moving forward………..I also left a little on the table as I was pulling north of 400 watts during the last 45 secs…….

FTP:

Duration: 42:00
    Work: 757 kJ
    TSS: 70.5 (intensity factor 1.003)
    Norm Power: 306
    Distance: 19.798 mi
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 479 301 watts
    Heart Rate: 115 166 156 bpm
    Cadence: 39 106 86 rpm
    Speed: 11.4 37.2 28.2 mph
  • Options

Well I had a schedule change in my week that put me on a flight back to ORD after a client dinner in DC last night. Of course the only reason I made the flight was a horrible delay that got extended multiple times…bottom line is I arrived home at 2am. Then had to wake up for a conference call early…but then went to sleep for another 2 hours and woke up again after 9am.

AND it is a beautiful day here in Chicago today so I decided to shift around my workouts a bit and do an extended ride plus a brick run. So at 12:40pm it was 3 Shot Bloks and out the door…

Now the plan is starting to shorten the intervals considerably in an early taper phase, but looking back to my races last year I actually amped up the bike a bit in the week before my best race (Steelhead). Then the taper was a sort of "crash" with almost no biking the week of the race. So I'm trying to mimic that a bit and as a result hammered the bike pretty hard today.

Overall ride 1:51:47, NP 220 (IF 0.865), TSS 138.8. Distance 37.66 miles, avg 20.2mph. You can tell by the speed where the wind was blowing from…

Warmup

10' – NP: 156 (IF 0.614), VI 1.04, HR 110/123, cad 77, 15.9mph

Then 3x1'(1') @ 265, 288, 293

INTERVALS – structure dictated by path and turnarounds

16.5'(3') @z4 – NP: 258 (IF 1.016), VI 1, HR 151/157, cad 91, 25.4mph

19'(1') @z4 – NP: 241 (IF 0.950), VI 1, HR 149/153, cad 87, 24.8mph

23.5'(2') @z3 – NP: 221 (IF 0.870), VI 1, HR 140/145, cad 86, 19.7mph

12'(4') @z3 – NP: 204 (IF 0.802), VI 1, HR 134/141, cad 85, 18.2mph

In addition to the recoveries I did 5' @ 187 (IF 0.737) and 199 (IF 0.783) between two of the longer intervals (this was around a higher-traffic area). And the ride home from the bike path was 6' @ 192 (IF 0.756).

The brick run was excellent. I had taken a gel on the bike about 25-30 mins before the run started. So the gel was in full effect for the run. The brick workouts near the race call for z4 out and z2 back, which is a reversal of the usual pacing. So I tried to keep the pace really high out of the gate. One complicating factor was a conference call I had scheduled upon my return, so I did have to cut the run 7' short at 23' instead of 30'. But I made up for it in intensity I hope (incidentally I got home to find out that the call had been cancelled at the last minute…lovely...).

Overall 3.53 miles in 22:41, 6:26 pace. Elapsed time 24:57 due to stops for traffic at the usual intersections. Very low HR and high cadence, it was a great run.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

6:43.3

6:30

4:46.3

6:19

4:50.2

6:29

6:21.5

6:23

Now tomorrow is the "long run" (now down to only 1 hour) plus the swim I missed today.
  • Options
    @ Enrique, welcome to the group!
    @ Shaughn, 28.2 mph? Too bad you can't race on the trainer, ha ha. Mine is actually the opposite, it's slower, but not to that degree.
    @ Paul & Matt, way to get the work done.

Ok, I'm a little excited here...Earlier this week I knew I had an FTP test coming up and I was actually looking forward to it for two reasons. 1) My last test was at the end of February on the trainer. I was looking forward to testing outside. 2) Although I've been hurting during most of my rides the last few weeks I have been beginning to tell that my FTP was no longer accurate. This was especially apparent after Sunday's 2 hour ride when I hit an IF of .86 for the entire ride and still had some juice in the legs.

So, all day yesterday at work I was figuring out ways to attack today's FTP test. My current FTP was 254 and my goal was to aim for 265. I broke down each 20' segment into 5 or 10 minute blocks and then inserted various numbers for the 2' rest to come out with an FTP of 265. (I wasn't as productive as I could've been yesterday!)

It's about 7.5 miles to the starting line so I was really careful not to use up any energy. I did the standard EN warmup maneuvers during the ride out and by the time I got there I was ready to destroy something, I was amped up. When I started out my goal was to keep it at 270ish. I figured if I kept it there and then did the 2' rest and hit the last 20' between 270-280 I would get that 265 FTP. Well, the 270ish only lasted for about 30 seconds. I wasn't hurting enough. So I pumped it up into the 280's. About 10 minutes in I was wondering what I had done. I started playing those numbers, get to 5' left, get to the 2' rest, etc. Well, I ran out of runway and had to turn around at 19'. Wow, that 2' rest felt good. But now I had to do a 21' interval, great! 5' into that 2nd interval I was hurting again and started playing that numbers game. 10' in I said to myself, there's no turning back. 16' in it got easier, not because I felt good, but because if I quit at that point it was only because I don't know how to suffer. I nailed the last 5' and if there was anyone standing on the side of the road they would've thought I was crazy. I was yelling stuff (i don't even remember what I was saying) and spitting and blowing my nose, I was a madman. But, I got it done. At one point during the last 20' I was wondering if anyone ever wanted a flat tire, my legs were on fire. After I got the test done though, I knew I had scored, and at that point I was praying that my computer didn't malfunction somehow. So...here are the numbers:

FTP Test Outdoors:
    Duration: 42:01
    Work: 727 kJ
    TSS: 91.9 (intensity factor 1.149)
    Norm Power: 292
    VI: 1.01
    Pw:HR: n/a
    Pa:HR: n/a
    Distance: 15.818 mi
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 370 288 watts
    Cadence: 45 124 85 rpm
    Speed: 6.5 40.8 22.6 mph
    Pace 1:28 9:12 2:39 min/mi
    Hub Torque: 0 27 9 lb-in
    Crank Torque: 0 467 287 lb-in

1st 19' interval was at 286 watts. 2nd 21' interval was at 301 watts.

FTP of 292 puts me at 3.79 w/Kg as of this morning's weigh in.
  • Options

Ok...back in the saddle.

AM ... 4000 yards in the pool and 4 miles running. Humidity would gag a maggot.

PM ... 67 mins on the drainer w TSS = 80. Missed the HIM webinar but needed to go hard tonight. Want to take a couple easy days before My Olympic triathlon on Saturday ... my 5th triathlon already this year.

BTW ... I have this vision of Shaughn as so damn powerful on the bike that he goes airborne each time he crests a hill.  WOW.

• Options
    Hi Gang,

I haven't worked out this week. The pool at our gym has been closed for maintenance. I need to follow up and see when it will be fixed.

I'll do the 5K test tomorrow then the bike test on Saturday. Planning on an easy swim on Friday - maybe.

Listening to the HIM webinar. Good stuff!
  • Options
    @Doug: Way to rock it! You've inspired me for my first outdoor FTP test ever on Saturday. YEA!

Ugh. Did 5K test this morning. Was hot and humid. Had problems pacing myself. Got side stitch. Didn't sleep well. Sigh. Enough excuses.

Still, got it done. Interesting to see how my vDot has changed since the last time I was training. But, I know I'll see improvement.

Speaking of sleep: I've been wearing a BodyMedia+Fit which monitors sleep and activity. It is amazing to plug it in and see how many times I'm waking up during the night. It also keeps me honest about how much sleep I'm getting.
  • Options

@ Penny - way to fight through and get that Run TT done!  Those are painful!  Nice job!  Good luck Saturday!

@ Paul -   .....if only I could learn to swim, I might actually be able to compete in my age group some day.........

@Doug - I always have my trainer set on a 3% grade to factor in a bit a wind resistance.  I am about a 330W NP outside and a 4.1 w/kg ratio.......  Doug, you did amazingly well on your bike TT and really showed a mental six pack with the way you managed yourself through those 42'.  3.8 w/kg is seriuous business!.........and you can also swim and run!!  WTG!

This morning was long run morning. Cooler temps out. My legs were very tired from the Bike TT so I just decided to get out there, dodge the rain drops and lightning bolts and even settle for Z1 if I had to.   Interval 1 was 20’ @ Z2 with a target of 7:30 under the cooler temp zones, I got a 7:41 NGP, Interval 2 was 30’ at Z3 (what kind of evil coach would ask you to hold Z3 that long after a bike TT and 50’ of running???) Goal was 7:15 and NGP was 7:20 so, did what I could on hammered legs……

14+ miles on 1:55 of running time in cooler temps – had to make a 10’ bathroom stop at McDonald’s in there also……lighten the load….
  • Options
    Taper Day!

AM - 5K run @ 130 HR avg
    Lunch - 2400 yards in the pool including 3 x500 yrds main set
    Tonight - 15 mins core; pack and prep Dragonfire for battle on Saturday
  • Options
    @ Penny, glad I can help out, nail your test on Saturday! I've thought about our teammates posts in here many times when I've been on a ride or run. Way to get the VDOT test done today.

@ Shaughn, 4.1 w/kg is nuts, you should be racing Coach P! Way to get the run done today. I had a very similar experience. Legs were feeling yesterday's work and I had to make the dreaded pit stop about 5 miles in, ha ha.

@ Paul, good luck Saturday, "smoke" the competition with Dragonfire! I need a name for my bike, right now I only refer to it as "my baby" once in a while.

Long run today and my sentiments were exactly the same as Shaughn's posted above. One of the things that kept me going out there was the thought that other people who are training are not working as hard as we are! That thought got me fired up. 14.1 miles in 1:45 today. Details here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184186103

• Options

@ Doug -- AWESOME!!! Great report too. That first outdoor FTP test is always an eye-opener. Way to suffer and get it done. And what a huge negative split. I'd be interested to see the NP in 5-minute increments for each for the two intervals. In any case enjoy the new zones, in particular when you get a crap weather day and put the bike back on the trainer!!!

@ Paul, that's a huge workout day with S/R/B. Yikes! And assuming you did the run as an "aqua-brick" after the 4k yards, well hats off to you on that one...no wonder you're placing in your AG...and don't worry, it isn't humid in Vegas!!

• Options
    Decent workouts today although I was feeling a little flat and the run truthfully was a bit of a bust.

THe swim was mid-morning and I was feeling a bit off but "woke up" and settled into a good groove and ended up glad I went. Ended up with a nice negative split on a long endurance set. Actually the workout was 2800 yd but 100 yd went unrecorded b/c I pressed the stop button instead of the lap button at the beginning of the 3rd set. So the 3rd set was actually 100 yd + 10 sec rest (all unrecorded) then 600 (recorded).

The recorded part: overall 2700 yd in 46:51 (avg pace 1:44/100yd, incl rest intervals). Avg efficiency 38. Avg. 10.4 strokes per length in 25yd pool.

Paces:

W/U 200 – 1:35, then rested for 1:00

4x600(30) – 1:39, 1:37, 1:36, 1:36

C/D 100 – 1:37

The run was really not great. I had to pull it back to 45' due to pouring rain. It was really miserable…dark since I got a late start, and cold and rainy. And I felt really flat after the hard swim this morning and big brick yesterday…the first z3 interval felt like z4. But I did push it all the way to the 23' turnaround to make sure I'd get in a minimum of 45', and I forced myself to maintain a strong pace for the whole run.

Overall 6.55 miles in 44:55, 6:51 pace. Current z2: 7:09, z3: 6:53, z4: 6:45

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

7:27.7

7:23

15:25.0

6:47

15:10.7

6:45

6:51.9

6:46

• Options
    @ Doug - names are a must! My TT bikes are Diablo and DragonFire, and my road bike is Blaze. Hmm, do I detect a theme? image

Final Taper this morning: 1700 yards in the pool, 2 mile jog, 24 mins high spin on the drainer.
  • Options
    Week 17. Swapped yesterday and today. So yesterday was my swim RR. 2000M in the pool in 41:52. Pr by 50sec vs May 15. 500M splits were steady. This was a good swim for my current ability level.
    Today was 120mn run. Decided to hit the hills. The workout was 30min Z1, 2x12(6) @ 8:05, 20min z1, 15min @ 8:30, 25min Z1 and cd. Hit the intervals but was a little sluggish on the recovery paces.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184312640
  • Options
    @ Paul, do you wear a firesuit when you ride your bikes ha ha? I'll try and come up with a name for my baby and let you guys know.

@ Jimmy, those long runs are tough, way to get it done. Nice work on the swim RR as well!

@ Matt, flat? You ran a "warmup" mile at 7:23 and then 5.5 more miles in the 6:40 range? Even though you didn't get all the time in you wanted that's a great run. Tough to do that at this point in the plan.

Matt, I broke down my FTP test into 5' increments like you mentioned. Here it is:

5' - 276 AP (NP didn't calculate for some reason)
    5' - 282 NP
    5' - 290 NP
    4' - 300 AP (first 20' was cut short due to running out of navigable road)
    2' rest - 166 AP
    5' - 298 NP
    5' - 299 NP
    5' - 300 NP
    6' - 307 NP (1' extra to make up for shortage in the first interval)

Like I said the 2nd interval is a gradual elevation gain so it was "easier" to keep the power on. I noticed on the 1st interval during some of the descents that I really had to concentrate on keeping my power up.
  • Options
    I did my swim RR tonight. After watching the weekly podcast embedded in the training plan I approached the RR a little differently per Coach R's suggestion. I went out hard the first 200 yards to simulate a race and then pulled it back. I was supposed to slow down to race pace at that point but I obviously slowed down too much because my 1st 500 was the slowest one. The idea of approaching the RR this way, was to learn how to avoid doing that very thing so I'll check that off as a Fail.

Anyways, last swim RR was 5/13 and I did it in 36:17. I'm getting slower because today I did it in 36:21. Paces for each 500 were actually very similar to my last RR. The first 500 was the slowest and then got stronger as the swim went on. I tried to speed up for the last 200 yards because I'm thinking that's what I'll want to do in the race. Hopefully, come race day I'll be a little quicker with the wetsuit on and the adrenaline flowing.

Have fun with your rides this weekend everyone. Good luck at the race tomorrow Paul.
  • Options
    As is now common, a Friday limo ride from ORD to the pool for the Friday swim. The plan called for a race simulation swim of 2200yd nonstop. Mentally difficult to say the least, especially the first 15 laps where you feel like you haven't made a dent in the set. But overall I got into a good groove and finished it up with what turned out to be a super steady pace…

Overall 2500 yd in 41:37 (avg pace 1:40/100yd, incl rest intervals). Avg efficiency 37. Avg. 9.8 strokes per length in 25yd pool.

Paces:
    W/U 200 – 1:34, then rested for 1:00
    1x2200, took splits each 250 – 1:35, 1:37, 1:36, 1:36, 1:35, 1:36, 1:35, 1:36, 1:35
    C/D 100 – 1:35

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184455671
  • Options

Swam 2,800M  today with a 1,900M RR in a slow 45 mins........

Great work all!

• Options

I had to get out early this morning due to Sat activities and had a solid but tough ride. Was cool and dry which made a huge difference. Waking up I felt mentally and physically tired ( with this week’s testing and long run load) doubting how the ride would go so just took it one interval at a time staying laser focused and managed to hit all the intervals (2X20’ Z4 and 2 X35’ Z3 then 75-80% remainder).   I can tell you that combination is not small order and those 2 X 35s Z3 much harder to execute than they look on paper……. I used a 315 NP baseline…….. 206 TSS….running this evening…..

Felt a bit heavy carrying the 7lbs. of 100 ounce Camel back along…..

Interval 1: Z4

Duration:               20:02

Work:                     366 kJ

TSS:                       31.3 (intensity factor 0.968)

Norm Power:          305

Power:                    42       421     305     watts

Cadence:               51       131     83       rpm

Speed:                    10.9    32.4    21.5    mph

Interval 3: Z4

Duration:               20:00

Work:                     360 kJ

TSS:                       30.3 (intensity factor 0.954)

Norm Power:          300

Power:                    0         456     301     watts

Cadence:               51       112     81       rpm

Speed:                    8.8      35.4    21.3    mph

Interval 5: Z3

Duration:               35:02

Work:                     556 kJ

TSS:                       44.2 (intensity factor 0.87)

Norm Power:          265

Power:                    0         408     265     watts

Cadence:               45       125     79       rpm

Speed:                    7.9      36.8    21.3    mph

Interval 7: Z3

Duration:               35:00

Work:                     556 kJ

TSS:                       41.3 (intensity factor 0.842)

Norm Power:          265

Power:                    0         361     265     watts

Cadence:               56       153     79       rpm

Speed:                    10.9    32.4    22.1    mph

Interval 9: Z2

Duration:               20:02

Work:                    284 kJ

TSS:                       19.4 (intensity factor 0.762)

Norm Power:          240

Power:                    0         408     237     watts

Cadence:               48       134     79       rpm

Speed:                    13.4    31.5    21.9    mph

Entire workout (245 watts):

Duration:               3:02:24

Work:                     2675 kJ

TSS:                       206.1 (intensity factor 0.825)

Norm Power:          260

VI:                           1.06

Distance:              62.193 mi

Elevation Gain:     2017 ft

Elevation Loss:      2067 ft

Min     Max    Avg

Power:                    0         502     245     watts

Cadence:               30       162     79       rpm

Speed:                    0         36.8    20.4    mph

Temperature:         64.4    80.6    69.7    Fahrenheit
  • Options
    @ Shaughn, great work. Those 35' z3 intervals wear you down...great job gettin' it done.

Personally I also hit the road early this morning. Technically I'm in week #19 and tapering for next weekend in Kansas, but the reality is that I have Racine on the calendar on July 15 so I'm shortening the taper considerably and continuing to rack up WORK on the bike. Due to family schedule I had to keep the ride local today, but overall it was a good effort. My legs got a nice workout (which will be continued tomorrow), and I think that's perfectly fine and can be managed next week in advance of Kansas.

Overall ride 3:20:41, NP 209 (IF 0.823), TSS 223.0. Distance 67.22 miles, avg 20.1mph.

Warmup in the city
    38'' – NP: 146 (IF 0.576), VI 1.11, HR 105/127, cad 74, 17.1mph

Work intervals
    16'(1') @z3/4 – NP: 227 (IF 0.895), VI 1.00, HR 137/148, cad 87, 21.6mph
    13'(12') @z4 – NP: 246 (IF 0.968), VI 1.00, HR 147/153, cad 90, 22.6mph
    18'(13') @z4 – NP: 249 (IF 0.982), VI 1.01, HR 148/155, cad 89, 22.1mph
    13.5'(11.5') @z4 – NP: 243 (IF 0.957), VI 1.05, HR 145/153, cad 86, 23.5mph
    29.5'(5') @z3 – NP: 217 (IF 0.855), VI 1.00, HR 139/148, cad 87, 22.5mph

Long recovery intervals
    12' – NP: 176 (IF 0.694), VI 1.14, HR 118, cad 69, 17.2mph
    13' – NP: 189 (IF 0.744), VI 1.06, HR 128, cad 79, 19.6mph
    11.5' – NP: 178 (IF 0.699), VI 1.10, HR 122, cad 78, 18.6mph
    5' – NP: 163 (IF 0.640), VI 1.17, HR 117, cad 53, 17.7mph

Remainder time back in the city
    7.5' @z3 – NP: 210 (IF 0.826), VI 1.03, HR 135/142, cad 79, 20.5mph
    21' @z2 – NP: 192 (IF 0.756), VI 1.06, HR 127/141, cad 67, 19.0mph

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184663944

• Options
    Motivation Man Olympic Triathlon at West Palm Beach. Long swim with current, bike measured at 24.6 miles and run at 6.55. I paid the price for not being fully rested and finished in 2:27. I think the swim and long run added about 5 mins to this course. At about 2:17 my body was thinking it was over and I just blew up ... had to walk 5 times in those last 10 mins. Man I was hot! Finished 2nd age and 21st in the race. Anyway, it was great for a workout, but I'm going to make sure I'm fresh for Muncie. So far this year, I've finished 2, 1, 5, 1, and 2 in my division. I'm probably going to take 4 days off after Muncie instead of the normal 2 days for a mid season break.
  • Options
    Week 17 of beginner HIM program. 25min z1 run, 3hr interval bike with 2x20z4 and 2x25z3.
    I did the 120min run yesterday and I was feeling it today. Had trouble getting my hr up to z4 but I did what I could.
  • Options
    Wow, you guys are awesome! Never having trained like this before I am truly impressed every week reading all the work that gets done.

@ Jimmy, I did the long run on Thursday and I was still feeling it today. I don't know how you rode the bike for 3 hours, wow.

@ Shaughn and Matt, it's not just the Z3 work. It's like the previous level of intervals make the subsequent ones more challenging than they typically would be. So to start Z4 is hard, then you think you get a break with Z3 but you start doing it and it feels just as hard, and then by the time you get to the remainder at Z2 (or whatever it is) that feels like Z4 because of all the work you've already done!

@ Paul, other athletes must see you setting up in transition and say "oh crap, he's here again"! Nice work on the race even if you did "blow up". 2nd AG and 21st overall is awesome.

I did the 30' run this morning. Nothing special except the legs were still feeling Wednesday and Thursday's work. Just a Z1 run with 1 mile at sub-Z4. Details here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184599461

I got the 3 hour bike done today! I wasn't sure how it was going to go due to the way my legs were feeling, a result of the FTP test on Wednesday and then the long run on Thursday. Legs were a little stiff for the morning run but by the time I got on the bike they "felt" a lot better. I'm sure there was still some residual fatigue there. My biggest concern for the ride was the new zones I was going to be working at. Basically, Z4 is now Z3, Z3 is now Z2, you get the idea. Well, I got the work done. 41' at Z4, 50' at Z3 and the remainder at 70 - 75%. The ride wasn't easy but the last 20' were especially tough. Anyways, here are the details:

Entire workout (224 watts):
    Duration: 3:06:41 (3:17:25)
    Work: 2496 kJ
    TSS: 207.2 (intensity factor 0.83)
    Norm Power: 242
    VI: 1.08
    Pw:HR: n/a
    Pa:HR: n/a
    Distance: 61.952 mi
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 448 224 watts
    Cadence: 29 193 80 rpm