Home General Training Discussions
Options

Who Rules? Daniels or RnP?

As a newbie to endurance sports this year (or any sports for that matter!), I've understand that we are to apply the 10% rule to our running volume.

Coming from a non-running background, I began running earlier this year loosely following a "Couch-to-5K" program, increasing my running time rather than distance.

I logged 4.7 miles and 6.2 miles during this weeks' Beg. OS plan, far outside the 10% rule.   I've never run 6.2 miles before!  

I have been recovering well from the workouts minus the little 'creaks-n-pains' that go with the territory.

So tell me: should I keep to the 10% rule (Daniels) or the OS (RnP)?

Comments

• Options

Howard- I'd certainly suggest getting R&P's input on how to modify/adjust the OS plan so you can safely ramp up to what the plans sorta expect you to have as a baseline coming in.   Prior to the OS, what was your max total mileage (or time) running on a single run and on a single week?

• Options
    Howard -

Main set only....keep the workouts as crazy short as possible so you can build up on a more manageable level!

P
  • Options

Thanks Coach.  Will do to keep the workouts from becoming 'burnouts.'

@Nemo: Prior to the OS my run times were approaching the main set times listed in the OS, without the intensity!  

Back to Nemo's comment: what is the S/B/R 'baseline' that's expected of us when coming on the team?

• Options
    I don't think there is a baseline, just that you have a season (or two) of tri under your belt. With injuries and burnout, there are many folks in many different places with their fitness at any given time...

P