Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workout Posts - Week of June 25

Hello All,

I gutted out a 60 minute session of wonderful aquajogging !

5 min warmup; 8 x 5' Hard (1'); 5 min CD.

Happy Monday!

Comments

• Options
    Day after mt tremblant 70.3.
    Spent the day walking all the heck over Montreal with the mrs. Gonna lay low for a week before trying to put some strength back on.
  • Options
    Good plan Jimmy.

Sun... Ran 4.64 miles then 33 miles ABP ride before the rain moved into South Georgia. Drove back to Tampa through TS Debbie.

Mon ... Swam 3000 yards in the PM while under a tornado watch. I was only able to swim once last week so felt very lucky to get this swim in tonight!
  • Options
    I decided to do a short loosening-up in the pool today one day after the race. Actually I felt like I could go for a run, but didn't want to push it.

Overall 1500 yd in 27:19, avg 1:34/100 (excl rest intervals). Avg efficiency 37, 9.8 strokes per length. 25 yd pool.

Paces:
    Warmup 300 – 1:35
    6x200(20) – 1:34, 1:35, 1:34, 1:33, 1:33, 1:34

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192874644
  • Options

I did an EZ swim today after racing the Pleasant Prairie Oly yesterday.  Just did some technique drills my swim coach gave last week, then did 3 x 250.  total 1500 meters.  Overall, I felt pretty good today, better than expected.  The heel that was bothering me since Feb was fine.  A couple more light days, then a long run on Thursday, building towards Racine HIM in 3 weeks.

• Options

Into week 14 -- RR #1 week. I'm modifying the week severely, since I leave wed for 2 week trip and wont have access to swim or bike till July 3rd. So I've front loaded the RR for today and tomorrow and then plan for good hard running later in the week. 

Did my HIM swim RR tonight: 25yd pool. Couldn't con anyone to go out to the lake for OWS. Ugg. For me it was a ok result: 40:14 for 2200yd. ~ 1:49/100. I know i OW swim ~ 10s faster than in the 25yd pool so I can be reasured that the swimming is holding its own, not as fast as my last TT in Nov ~ 1:45/100, but I wasn't pushing either. 

Gearing up for the Bike/Run RR tomorrow @ 6am (avoid the wind and heat) . Planning on 150cals/20oz water from Heed + 1/2 powerbar or 1/2 waffle per hour on the bike ~ 225 cals/hr. Run ill take 20oz water and a gel.  4 endurolyte caps per hour on both. 

Luckily I can do both legs on the course I'm racing in Aug. so it should be a good benchmark. 

• Options

HIM Rehearsal #1 in the books. I followed the EN protocol and it went pretty well. Going in my legs were a bit shelled after two long hard rides Sat and Sun, I could feel it right off the bat. 

Bike: 2:44, 56.2 mi, NP 202, IF .825, VI 1.05, Cad avg 90, 20.58mph, Gain 3156'. 

VI is higher than id like: I had some moments of mental drift and found myself tooling along in the 70% range downhills, but I tried to stay focused. Some of the hills on the course are STEEP and was putting out 100-110% ftp for several minutes eventhough I was bottomed out on my lowest gearing. I dont have a compact yet, but will in the next week (new TRI bike!) , so the next RR should be smoother.

Nutrition went down well, froze 2 of the 3 bottles the night before so everything stayed cold, I used 2.5 bottles with 150 cals of heed in each, took in 1/2 powerbar, and 1/2 waffle. So lets call that 525cals for 2.75 hours ~190cal/hr. 

Run: Woah Nelly, glad I had a GPS pacing otherwise I would have blasted out sub 7 minute mile for the first one. I checked it and kept dialing back my cadence till I settled in. My goal pace for 1st 3 mi was 7:24+30 and 7:24 after, BUT there is a BIG out and back hill for miles 2,3,4: 4-6% grade for 1.2 miles ~ 500 ft gain that made things slow down a bit on the way up and speed up on the way down. I did do 30" walking each mile. Paces came out as: 7:30, 8:59, 8:12, 7:08, 7:39, 7:55.  47:23 for 6 mi. ~7:52 per mile. Meh. 

I was done by the end. My stomach started to get a little sloshy on the last mile, I'm thinking I was taking too much water each walking break - I brought 20oz of water in my fuel belt and had maybe 4oz left. Also I may have not had enough cals coming in from the bike. I'm going to up the cal intake on rides and keep the water down to small sipping on the run. No cramping in the legs, but 6 is usually just where it starts based on previous races. 

Critique is welcome and encouraged. 

• Options
    Looks like everyone is still working hard! Nice job, keep it up.

@Paul, you must really like the heat, Georgia doesn't sound like any fun! Which is worse FL or GA?

Hey everyone, thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement, it's been great training with you guys the last couple of months. I'm gonna be transitioning to the IM plan for Wisconsin, but I'll be keeping an eye out for what everyone is doing! Good luck with the rest of your training and racing this year!

I just posted my race report in the forums if anyone is interested. As a warning it's long even after I edited a lot of stuff out. I would appreciate any insight though that anyone has that would help me improve.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Training/TrainingForums/tabid/101/aft/9193/Default.aspx
  • Options
    @ Rian - Good job. Solid bike at >0.8 IF. I can't overstate the importance of starting out slow on the run. It really does make a difference.

@Doug - sorry to lose you from the great group we have here...congrats on the HIM and best of luch at IMWI!
  • Options

Good brick workout today. I'm back on the half-iron plan, reset to week #10, for this week until the vacation in Colorado messes things up. After an easy post-race recovery swim day yesterday I did the brick scheduled for Wednesday today for schedule reasons. It felt like being back in the Outseason with some hard FTP interval work. I extended the ride from 75' to 100' due to wanting to do all the interval work on a particular section of pathway, but otherwise rode as-prescribed for the most part.

Amazing that in the race on Sunday the best I could muster was 218 watts, and yet today I was knocking out 10' z4 intervals at 265-270 watts. Incredible. I really do wonder if on Sunday I had a powermeter calibration issue. After all, I rode 23.6mph on average. Really strange.

Overall ride 1:39:30, NP 235 (IF 0.925), TSS 141.1. Distance 34.06 miles, avg 20.5mph.

Warmup

- 10' @z1 – NP: 174 (IF 0.684), VI 1.07, HR 119/139, cad 81, 17.5mph

- 3x1'(1') @ AP 333, 314, 349

- 8.5'(2') @z2 – NP: 192 (IF 0.756), VI 1.02, HR 129/139, cad 81, 18.4mph

Work intervals

10'(2') @z4 – NP: 269 (IF 1.060), VI 1.00, HR 159/166, cad 92, 22.8mph

10'(2') @z4 – NP: 271 (IF 1.069), VI 1.00, HR 166/172, cad 93, 23.3mph

10'(2') @z4 – NP: 267 (IF 1.050), VI 1.00, HR 168/174, cad 92, 23.6mph

10'(2') @z4 – NP: 268 (IF 1.057), VI 1.00, HR 171/177, cad 93, 23.6mph

"Remainder time"

- 7.5'(2.5') @z2 – NP: 195 (IF 0.766), VI 1.03, HR 139/149, cad 83, 19.3mph

- 10'(0.5') @z3 – NP: 220 (IF 0.866), VI 1.00, HR 147/152, cad 89, 21.7mph

- 10'(0.5') @z2 – NP: 188 (IF 0.738), VI 1.05, HR 132/147, cad 86, 19.3mph…riding home on a busy street

The run was pretty good. I made sure to get in the full 30 mins this time…no early turnaround! And despite my desire to stop at all the intersections, I ended up with only 2 stops for traffic…and I was REALLY hoping for traffic approaching those intersections…my HR needed a break, considering it hit 191…

Overall 4.66 miles in 30:28, 6:32 pace. Current z4=6:45, z3=6:52, z2=7:09.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

7:01.1

6:47

4:58.4

6:32

3:31.8

6:39

3:36.0

6:42

4:50.6

6:24

6:30.1

6:16

Cheers!

• Options
    @ Enrique- How are you liking the aquajogging?

@ Jimmy- Enjoy Montreal, and recovery!

@ MAtt- Nice brick! How often do you calibrate PM? What kind of PM do you have?

@ Rian- Sounds liek you have some good learnings re: pacing & nutrition from your RR. That's what they're for!

@ Doug- Best of luck w/ IM training!

Bruce- Gladd heel is feeling better!

Crap run for me last night. Shifted some things around so did Thurs. run on Tues. Also, was suppossed to be run test, but I doubt it would be any improvement so I just wnated to do the 3 mi. Didn't do usual .5mi walking to warm up and that probably wasn't a good idea. Started out a bit too fast, then stomach cramps. Slowed down to almost Z1 pace for a bit and picked it up after cramps subsided. Managed a little over 2.5mi. Moving on now...
  • Options

Hi all!

I am beginning to feel better today after Sunday's HIM.  This is a transition recovery week for me.  Did a 45' recovery bike/core yesterday as well as 1,500M form swim/core this morning.

Beginning to be able to walk normal again today vs. shuffling around the last two days though my front quads continue to be very tender even after a Monday pm massage......

I will go into an 8 week Get Faster block followed by a BBW before dropping into the 12 IM plan for IMCZ.

Strong work all!!

SS

• Options
    I bagged Monday's swim and run workouts. I was feeling burned out and had no motivation. I started to do my 60 minute run, and I did manage 20 minutes, but I knew at that point I really had no heart in it, and it was probably best to shut it down.

Tuesday was a 60 minute OWS at the Boulder Reservoir. That felt great, and I'm glad I didn't bag that one. I also jumped on the trainer at lunch for an easy spin IF= ~0.78, again, just to shake out the legs and burn a few calories.

Today is a VO2max brick workout (Week 15 of Adv HIM). Not looking forward to that in 90+ degree weather, but I AM looking forward to getting outside... hoping the heat and the new Flagstaff Fire don't interfere too much.
  • Options
    I decided to move my Thursday run to today given the forecast of >100-degree temps and humidity moving in tomorrow. The plan called for 100' with 30' warmup at z1 then 2x7'(4')@z4 then z2 or "as able" to finish. I decided to pull the run back to 90' due to my lack of any major run volume since Kansas, although based on the my routing it ended up being 95'. More significantly, I decided to treat the run as a hard 60' FTP run with "extra time" added to the end. So I ran as a typical 10' W/U with 4x7'(4')@z4 then added 2x10'(5')@z2 then some remainder time to finish.

It wasn't brutally hot today but it was warm and over 80 in direct sunlight so my HR was actually pretty high with low 190's in the z4 intervals and even high 180's in the 10' z2 intervals.

Overall 13.49 miles in 1:35:01, 7:03 pace with stops for the lakefront tunnel and water fountains. Current z4=6:45, z3=6:52, z2=7:09.

Warmup 10'@ 7:01

4x 7'(4') – 6:20, 6:19, 6:16, 6:25
    (4' recoveries 7:37, 7:51, 7:30, 8:10)

2x10'(5')@z2 – 7:00, 7:02

"Remainder time" – 10'@7:42, 5'@7:18

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193337296
  • Options

Today's VO2max ride and subsequent brick were not that great given the air quality here in Boulder. I couldn't seem to catch my breath on the harder efforts, so, I decided to ride a loop of the Boulder Peak course (since the race is next week). Managed 3x1 min at VO2max effort, and then started the climb up Olde Stage. Rode that in about 6 minutes at FTP+ 10 watts then rested for 5 min. Cruised the remaining time at about 0.81 IF.

The run was miserable.  Felt okay on the "out" section.  1st 10 minutes were too fast at ~7:30/mi instead of 8:00/mi.  Hit the first few minuteso f my HMP interval very well, but simply couldn't get enough air with all the smoke and junk flying around Boulder.  Shut it down and cruised back at MP+30"

Overall, 21.8 mi in 1:03:03. NP=278, AP=261 (VI=1.07), 1200 ft of climbing,

Ride: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/2VBFWRQ2MDNZ4U7LGFWIFPS67M

Run: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/NHLOPBBJTDCAO5Q2C4EM6T55S4

• Options
    At Doug. Congrats on your half and good luck at IMMOO. South GA is far worse in the summer than Tampa. I lived in. Valdosta, Ga for 2 yrs and can tell you that their summers are far hotter and more humid than here. The on shore winds here tend to moderate temperatures. We rarely go over 95 here.

Tue ... 8 mile run in the evening. A breezy steamer w Tropical Storm Debbie pulling out.
    Wed AM ... Swam 2800 LCM
    Wed PM ... 15 mins core and 80 mins on the trainer
  • Options

Steve, way to post those metrics and hang in there for the run!

Paul, when is the next HIM?

I feel for you guys completing those long runs in the heat and humidity.  Hope you are all being smart, using heat adjusted paces where applicable and hyrdating well before, during and after these stressful events.  That kind of training requires huge mental strength and generates big payoffs on race day.

My HIM race metrics below:

Buffalo Springs Swim: http://app.strava.com/swims/11952469

Buffalo Springs Run: 

On a Graded Adjusted Pace basis, I began to struggle with heat and fatigue for miles 11 – 13…………  Keep in mind that these paces include walking through the aid stations……….

This morning’s painful transition run: http://app.strava.com/runs/11952467   Front quads still broken down pretty good and painfully sore…….

Core and general maintenance this evening.....

• Options
    @ Enrique- How are you liking the aquajogging?

@Kim, I can't say I love it, but it is not bad. I'm doing hard intervals so it is definitely work. We'll see how long I can keep it up before I go batty in the pool. My achilles is so much better. I only feel pain when I squeeze the tendon...but will wait till next week before I even think about going on a run again.

@ Bruce, what was your protocol for getting back to running? did you wait until you felt absolutely zero pain or did you do some easy runs before the pain went away entirely?

@Shaughn - Must be nice to be planning to go to Cozumel.. that's what IMCZ is, right?

Workout:

Yesterday I did a VO2 max bike workout consisting of 6' of ON time with my new FTP number.  Feels really neat to get up over 250 w for the ON time.  I then threw in 60' of Z2 time to do a sweat test for my upcoming Core Diet race nutrition advising call. Also, I've been busy trying to dial in my bike setup, learning about proper fit, proper gearing (mine are all wrong), and aerodynamic hydration setups. So many details to consider, it is sometimes mind numbing...

• Options
    @ Enrique- "I only feel pain when I squeeze the tendon..."

..Don't squeeze the tendon. image
  • Options
    Posted By Kim DuBord on 28 Jun 2012 11:35 AM

@ Enrique- "I only feel pain when I squeeze the tendon..."

..Don't squeeze the tendon.

Haha !  Like mr whipple and his Charmin anti-squeezing agenda.

• Options
    @ Shaughn - Muncie 70.3 on 7 July - 9 days out! Is there an 8 week get faster plan in the haus or are you adjusting the short course plan?

Thu AM - Swim 2000 LCM. Break and take ITIL v3 Foundations exam...gotta apply work to the gray matter also...whew! Then clear mind with a 9 mile run with no shade. Wanted 10 but I was getting hot and out of water. Back to the gym and they had a Heat Stress warning board posted. Yeah, I felt it.

• Options
    Bike test today. Whopping 1 watt increase vs. 5/13/12. Woohoo!

But, to cheer myself up, I looked at last year's test (pre-power) vs. this year, same course:

3/18/11- 10.7mi, 15.3mph avg., 167 avg bpm
    Today- 13.7mi, 19.28mph avg., 164 avg. bpm

I'll have to give some credit to new tires + aerobars vs. last year but my legs probably had a little something to do with it too... I hope!

Swim test tomorrow....
  • Options

@ Paul-- you work IT too?

@ Kim -- nice improvement over last year!

• Options
    Enrique... Nope, but I am the business manager for a professional services company and was designated the business manager for a large IT contract. Since my position was designated key personnel by the client I was contractually required to take the course. It was quite a firehose of IT service life cycle processes!

No workouts tonight. Instead I put on new race tires, race cassette, cleaned gears, and removed/cleaned my disc cover which I had tested over the weekend.
  • Options

I got in my swim/run…needed to hit the pool since I'm not sure if I'll be able to swim in Colorado and I'm only 2 weeks out from the Racine half-iron at this point. I did the workout as an "aqua-brick" with the swim workout as prescribed and the run as a "good effort" in 95-degree heat and crushing humidity. The run was a point-to-point run home from the pool (carrying my swim suit, cap and goggles while running!).

Overall 2300 yd in 42:24 (avg pace 1:32/100yd, excl. rest intervals). Avg efficiency 36. Avg. 9.8 strokes per length in 25 yd pool.

Paces:

W/U 400 – 1:35, then rested for 1:00

MS1: 200(10), 300(20), 400(30), 300(20), 200 – 1:32, 1:33, 1:33, 1:32, 1:32

MS2: 8x50(20) odds as sprint, evens as easy

Sprints – 1:22, 1:21, 1:23, 1:22

Easys – 1:30, 1:30, 1:29, 1:31

C/D 100 – 1:32

As I said above, the run was brutally hot. I triggered 3 splits…the first is from the pool to the lakefront path, then along the path, then from the path to home.

Overall 3.94 miles in 27:31, 6:59 pace. Current z4=6:45, z3=6:52, z2=7:09.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

10:00.1

7:06

8:00.3

6:41

9:30.4

7:07

Tomorrow morning off to Vail for vacation!!!
  • Options

@ Enrique - I completely stopped running for 8 weeks and started PT to strengthen & stretch all my lower leg muscles.  In the OS plan, whenever the plan had a run, I swam.  I did the bike workouts as written in the OS plan.  After 8 weeks, i began to run again, but very slow and very short (like 1/2 mile the first time) and iced the heel after each run.  I slowly added frequency ( up to 4 times per week but I never run 2 days in a row) and then added distance - 2 mile run, then 3 mile run, then 4 mile run, etc.  All of this was at Z1 pace which for me is 8:50/mile.  So once i started running again, my weekly mileage totals have been 1,3,9,9,2,6,11,10,9,12,14.5,16.5,18.5.  I hope to do 21 miles this week.  About 3 weeks ago I started to add in some Z2 strides (7:30 pace), and have been extended the distance of the intervals.  This past Sunday I did an Oly and my 10k run split was 47:00 or 7:36/mi so I'm finally get back to form.  Net - stop running until you are better or you will just prolong the recovery, and then go slow in your build up.  Achilles are slow to heal so you have give them time.  I know it sucks, but you just have to let time do its job.  Work on your swim form and your bike fitness.

• Options
    @ Matt - way to get it done in less than ideal conditions. Did you get any looks from people by running with swim gear?

Just did my swim TT today and pretty good improvement. I can't find my results from this year but spring 2011 it was 21:24 and I'm pretty sure my last test was in that ballpark. Today was 19:11. I focused on swimming WELL vs. FAST. I'm still pretty slow but I can almost live with it for now as long as I'm somewhat efficient and my perceived exertion isn't off the charts. (I get that from the run just trying to get 10 min miles!)

Then I swam an extra easy 500 for "fun". It is pretty hot n humid here today so I was just grateful it wasn't a run day!
  • Options
    @ Bruce... yes that news sucks... I love running. It's my strength! Well, I'm already 3 weeks into non-running mode so at least I'm already on my way. Emailed my Dr today to get me with a PT. We'll see where I'm at for the HIM at end of August. I have 8 weeks to go... maybe I'll be good enough to do it. We'll see. I appreciate the detail Bruce. I am printing that out for reference.
  • Options
    Yesterday I did a 65 minutes aqua-jog. I actually didn't mind it and would have gone longer if it wasn't for some calf and feet cramps that got to the point of making the workout less effective. But that's the longest session to date. I'd like to get up to 90 minutes soon. It's a good thing I like working out alone with just my thoughts... I solved a lot of problems during those 65 minutes. image

Have a nice weekend!
  • Options
    Enrique ... I can't stand aqua jogging for 10 mins let alone 65! When it comes to discipline you are the Man of Steel.

Fri AM ... Alarm goes off at 5am and I start to get up; it's a swim day. But the Iron Sherpa and Biometric Coach puts her hand across my chest before I'm up more than 6 inches and tells me that I'm not going anywhere...need to start resting. With my willpower smashed by a single soft hand, I crash for another 3 hours.

Fri PM ... 61 mins on the drainer at Z2 but at different cadences, then 5K brick run.
  • Options
    Bike today with a group.

Ride to the ride: 7.13 mi, 25:33, avg. speed 16.5, avg bpm 144, 75 degrees, .76IF
    Group Ride + ride home (Crap, I thought I separated these 2!): 36.6mi, 2:26:34, avg. speed 15mph (although speed with the group was closer to 17), .79IF (Group was about .84, ride home about .67- I was toast!), 86 degrees, 1,880ft. gain

Total about 44 mi in about 3.5hrs. including stops, etc. (about 3hrs. rolling)

Enjoy your Saturday and stay cool!