Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workouts - week of JULY 9

2»

Comments

• Options
    MY first ride with the the power tap. Ohhh, the data, all the lovely data. I had planed to ignore it and just ride but of course that was totally out the window.
    I don't have a test so I don't have a real IF but...
    2.5 hrs 45mi 1400ft of elevation. MS was 2x12(4). Avg Power for these intervals was 191 and 196. MS2 was 10 minutes of ON time.
    This time was broken up into 1min or so intervals. As soon as I saw the power drop into the low 200's I would shut down and rest then hit it again. Avg power in the 260 range.
    Over all NP was 174.
    Garmin gave me a score for IF and TSS but if I have never done a threshold test, where are they getting the data to do the calculation?
    For those of you who use Macs - What software do you use? I downloaded golden cheetah and my guess is that I understand about 2% of what it can do. I'd like to find something more idiot friendly.
  • Options
    Thanks, yes, the swim is coming back. Feels good!

Did my RR#1 today. Totally exceeded my expectations. Here are the stats:

RR Distance 56 miles:
    Duration: 2:51:47 (2:53:02)
    Work: 1736 kJ
    TSS: 176.3 (intensity factor 0.787)
    Norm Power: 174
    VI: 1.03
    Pw:HR: -4.59%
    Pa:HR: -4.75%
    Distance: 56 mi
    Elevation Gain: 991 ft
    Elevation Loss: 981 ft
    Grade: 0.0 % (7 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 367 169 watts
    Heart Rate: 83 214 146 bpm
    Cadence: 30 159 84 rpm
    Speed: 0 32.2 19.5 mph

• Options
    75min en run 2x1mi and 2x.5mi @ 7:53 pace. I was supposed to add on as much 8:25 pace time as i could. that was none. i hit the intervals but i was pretty beat up after and was between mp and lrp for the rest.
  • Options

@Jimmy - Weclome to Power training and getting faster on the bike!  Fine work on the run intervals today!

I had 2X1s and 2 X .5 mile Z4 intervals today.  Got up early and felt the heavy legs but also felt much better because it was so cool outside.  I decided to avoid the death by heat routine today to give myself a break. 

I should let all know I have been managing myself through an injury the last 5 months.  You might recall a while back I had several issues with a swollen ankle.  That never went away as I had hoped.  After each run the ankle on the right foot is easily the size of a baseball.   I carried it through Buffalo Springs but did not mention it because I did not want to draw negative attention and I had made up my mind that as long as it did not get worse, I was going to keep training and racing through it and so it has been which is one reason I now carry a slightly lower vDOT and a slower time than I would have liked on the run leg at Buffalo Springs.

I did my annual physical last week.  The Dr. confirmed a stress fracture on the lower end of the Fibula.  The Dr. said, because this is not weight bearing bone in the leg, I am able to run with it as such and, over time it would heal but added that I am probably, occasionally re-cracking it on some of the runs which is why it continues in the current state.  So, I will manage it along through Cozumel hopefully seeing improvement vs. degradation and focus on laying off of it after I pass that milestone.  It is primarily mind over matter at this point as long as I am careful not to worsen the issue, however, running injured does prevent me from giving a full 100%.

My Sunday morning run with NGPs at:  7:14, 7:14, 6:46, & 8:01……..missed the target of 7:30 on the last interval…..
  • Options
    @ Enrique ... Nothing like a good RR to build your confidence before race time.

@ Jimmy ... whoosh! Nice speed.

@ Shaughn ... Sorry to hear about your leg. I have a physical tomorrow morning, the first one in over 7 years. I'm going as a promise to my wife. If they don't find anything they won't see me again until I'm 60.

Sunday ... "death by heat" routine. Ran 5.5 miles slow starting at 9am. Crap it was hot. Went out for a 35 mile active recovery ride starting at 11am. Heat index hit 106. Ready to get out of South Georgia tonight.
  • Options
    @Jimmy- Way to get the work done! I often skip or reduce the "extra credit" stuff too. Its hard to resist all the PM data, huh?

@Shaughn- Bummer on the ankle. Take care of it as best you can....

@Enrique- Nice RR!

I had an unexpected 13 min. PR today in sprint race! First time doing this race, but here is the comparison for this year vs. last year: Total- 1:31:43 vs. 1:44:58 (Placed 24/43 vs. 22/59) Swim- 15:50 vs. 20:41 (Note: This was ocean swim vs. lake last race) Bike- 41:45 vs. 41:27 (Note: No transition splits for this year so this includes transition. Today's course a bit flatter) Run- 34:09 vs. 37:26 (Again, No transition splits for this year so this includes transition.) I actually "raced" this year instead of "just doing it". I had more confidence in my fitness and was able to push as hard as I could. (.984 IF on bike) Still plenty of work to do, esp. on the run (went from #260 overall on bike to 478 on the run. Ouch) Still very happy with the progress I have made and getting close to sub-1:30 for a sprint!
  • Options
    @Kim - Good job on your race!

@Paul - death by heat is right... holy smokes!

@Shaughn - Hope the ankle heals up for you quick!

@ Jimmy - Congrats on getting a PM. This is my 1st year with one and what a fantastic difference it's making. Have fun with your first FTP test!!
  • Options
    Awesome job Kim...think of that PR in percentage terms...what an improvement!

Did you guys see Matt's time at Racine? 4:39 for 10th in probably the toughest age group out there. When we are at Vegas I'm going to pretend to be his coach so I can say...hey look at how fast my guy is!
  • Options
    Way to go Matt!! Speed Demon!
  • Options
    woah matt. that is sick.
    I can feel myself getting faster just by posting in the same place as you.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks guys. Just now checking back into the group. Thanks for all the kind words. I may have 1000 posts or whatever the number is, but 90% of them are workouts, posted to this group, the OS group, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the importance of information sharing and learning from one another in the forums. But a real core thing for me is the team spirit and mutual encouragment and accountability from "working out" together virtually. You guys are great! Now back to work!!!!