Home Outseaon November 2011 Group Discussion-Outseason November 2011
Options

Week 12 NOS Run Sessions

Ain't it just the usual fun, walked outside to run and it started to rain, so I came back in, changed and mounted the dreadmill.  After I got my intervals in (which I absolutely hate doing on the treadmill), I looked outside and it was bright and sunny.  Fun times, fun times.  Anywho (at least with the treadmill, you know your pacing is constant):

4 x 200 & 2 x 1000 m @ 6:00 pace

Get after it everyone!

Comments

• Options

Snowing, sleeting, and windy at the track today. At this point I'd be happy to get some regular old warm winter drizzle that we used to get here in Oregon.

4 x 200: :46's and :45's (last week was 46's through 50's)

2 x 1000: 4:47, 4:43 - paced at 7:41, 7:35. Target 8:18

• Options
    I too am having a hacked week.

Target pace 6:09. (46 sec for 200, 3:50 for 1000)

4 x 200s were all really fast: 40-42 seconds...

But I paid for it on the 1000s:
    3:48, 3:50, 3:53. Pretty obvious from the traces that I was losing pace throughout.

Finished up an hour of running for a total 7.3 mi including warmup and recovery.
  • Options
    Hack, hack, hack! Ran 7.03 miles in the dark tonight... very easy warm-up then back to the circle I live on for repeats. 2 x ~ 1000 yards, 2 x 757 yards (the length of the street circle), 2 x ~440 yards, and 4 x 220 yards. I wanted to keep the whole thing on a down ladder where you recruit progressively more fast twitch muscle fibers as the workout goes on ... e.g., the more tired you get, the faster you should be running.
  • Options

A 20' run for me, nothing fancy just on the treadmill.  I also got in a few weights for my knee issues that seems better then worse but currently getting better again after a relaps.  At least I can run I could be on the shelf doing rehab only.

Gordon

• Options

Happy to be posting here again! I've decided to backtrack to week 9 for the run (the first week that I missed) and see how my body and ribcage holds up, adding the run alongside with the week 12 bike. So, yesterday (Tues) I did 25 mins very eay with some strides (2.7 miles), and this morning I did some 200s and 400s at Z5 pace and then rounded out my hour with easy running. 6.7 miles total. All of this on the treadmill. It is holding steady at -35c here and supposed to hit -40 tomorrow! (in celsius and farenheit, the scales converge....)

Thankfully, body held up so far. Ribs are tender but the workout was doable!  My plan will be to try and hit all of week 9 and then see where to go from there. My body typically handles running very well, so I will keep my fingers crossed that this won't be uglier than it needs to be.  

@Gordon, thanks for the encouragement getting going. Hope to see you progress along also!

• Options

Welcome back Jenn!

Slept well last night and felt better today, about 90% so went out to do the Wed run hack (2X200, 4X 1000) 1:20 total…….   128.5 TSS

No track, so had to do it on rolling hills….

Target pace for the 1000s is 6:27 and NGPs for intervals were 6:20, 6:15, 6:12, 6:16

NGP for entire run was 7:09

• Options
    Jenn - glad to have you back!

No run or bike today. I'm resting up for a 5K race on Saturday and bike race on Sunday...part of my transition week! So today, I did the following:

AM - Swam 3700 yards followed by 8 mins water running
    PM - Core exercises for45 mins
  • Options
    Running those 1000s two days in a row is not fun. Work with me on this. Wanted to quit after the first. (Didn't help that I had swum a few hours before, probably. But that's another story.) Got them done

2 x 200m: 6:00 pace and 5:35 pace
    4 x 1000m: 6:00, 6:09, 6:09, 6:19 pace. Ouch.

6:09 goal.
  • Options
    welcome back jenn

got home yesterday and no electricity = no TM image then realized my garmin wasn't charged - so head outside for my 4x200 + 2x1000 - felt naked w/no time/distance feedback - but got it done anyway - then off to wrestle w/generator other misc trying to save a freezer full of food - oh the joys of life
  • Options

2nd run this week just another 20' on the treadmill and a few weights.  Now for some ice and rest tomorrow. 

@Jenn - Happy to help out with the encouragement but I was also the one who suggested running outside as well. 

@ William nice job with the intervals just remember where you were at the start of the OS on the injured reserve list.

Gordon

• Options
    -Not doing so well with the z3 run work. Posting a question in the forums. But anywho, did today's wko before the bike, but still didn't hit assigned pace:

Total 1:01, ~ 8 miles, 7:39 ave pace
    15 minute warmup

MS (z3 target pace 6:32)
    1 mile - 6:49
    1 mile - 6:43
    1 mile - 6:32
    0.5 mile - 6:46

Popped and ran the rest of the way back @ ~ 8:00 - 8:30 pace
    Got to do some adjusting to this particular run/pace assignment.
  • Options

@ Roy, I forget if this is your first OS, but don't discount the effect of the cumulative fatigue on your ability to hold those Z3 paces. That is the sweet zone for the 2.5 hour IM training runs later and you will find that the mental side of holding those paces when tired simulates how you will feel late in the IM very well.

• Options
    @ Roy - wish I had those "bad" times! Still resting from Thursday morning's bike. Did the following:

Thu PM - 5 miles very slow
    Fri AM - 2300 yards swimming -- mostly pull to save the legs
    Fri Noon - 3 miles easy w 4x15 secs pick-up.

Time to finish packing. Heading to St Augustine this afternoon. Wife gets B&B for SAUs and I get to race 5K in the morning.

• Options

Friday checkin team.  Nice work Paul and Roy!  I need break every time I read each of your post and how much work you guys are doing!!

For me, Fri AM = 3100M swim

Fri PM = 7.5 Mile V02 run

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143255433

Exceeded all targets but was literally a brown shorts run.  Was 75 degrees and after the 1st  1000M interval I had to go find a bathroom…..ugly and painful but did hit the marks! 

160 TSS day for me…….
  • Options

Crazy week here weather-wise (high winds, tree branches falling everywhere, flooding). Today I ended up taking my dog up to a trail and running there, skipped the track workout but lots and lots of hills and best of all it wasn't underwater.

• Options
    Same here, Robin. I wanted to make up the Wed. run workout that I missed due to power outage / a foot of snow, but again, it didn't happen today. Roads are still with full of ice. I am hoping for not dry, but non-icy road to run this weekend!
  • Options
    Busted... 20:27. I was on pace thru 2 miles (6:17, 12:47), but my quads were just so heavy and I could not maintain. ITU pro Jarrod Shoemacher ran 14:36 for 3rd overall. Course was USATF certified. Touristing right now, then heading to Clermont for tomorrow's bike.
  • Options

50 minutes on the treadmill = 10k total. I was aiming for a Z2 building to Z3 run. Times were a hair slower than target paces, was maybe 10 seconds/mile off my z3 pace, but given that this is my first week back running after 3 weeks off, I will happily take it! I'm so glad I peeled myself off the couch to do this! 

• Options

glorious morning here - sunny 16F no wind - on the roads for - 2x200 + 3x1000 + 2 mi Z1 - breakfast - now head out for 60' Z1 x-c ski w/dog
  • Options

Here is my week, i had for work to travel to Denver until next week thu, so my pain cave is the Gym at the hotel.

Mon = rest

Tue = flight from Frankfurt to Denver

Wed am = Sat Run 2nd (outside)

Wed pm = Tue Bike VO2 (on Lifecylce Bike, no watts only HR and RPE, did VO2 as 2'ON 2'OFF)

Thu am = Wed Run VO2 (on TM, 2x1km felt very hard, left everything on this TM but i felt great after Breakfast)

Fri am = Thu Bike VO2 (on LB, did VO2 as 90''ON/90''OFF)

Sat am = Sat Bike VO2_long ( FTP felt hard, VO2 Intervals 75''ON/75''off, hang my dear life on them, but nothing left for a 2nd run)

Sun am = Sun Run VO2 (ouch, had to switch the 1km Intervalls into 2x800m, 2x400m, 2x200m).

The Workouts this week were first muscular hard, but it shifted to areobic hard. In general I am happy that I was able to come back to the VO2 block after missing Week 9 and 10. Also I had each day some core work done prior the workout. And after all I did manage jet lag and altidute change better than I expected, but Tomorrow is resting day (well i might test the pool to do some swim technik drills, but nothing areobic for sure .)

Lessons learned, I need a rest day after the 3 days workouts .

• Options

I am trying to get better about holding my paces closer to the zones in the data tool. So for the HMP-paced Z3 brick yesterday I got a lot closer to the target pace by keeping an eye on my 1/4 mile splits.

Target: 9:03

Actual: 8:57, 8:56, 8:53, 8:48, 8:46, 8:45

• Options

Hey Robin,

good work. I have the same difficulty to dail into Z3 correctly, to me Z4 and Z1/2 paces are much more easier to hit. If I am there I cut them as I need them with run-walk sections or call a day. But I go this year only for Oly and HIM so I worry about volume only in April.

Kai

• Options

3rd run completed this week.  Again just getting some time in 25' total on the treadmill and some weights to help out the knees.

Gordon

• Options
    Although it wasn't as bad as some of our northern peep's, today was my first 28 degree run. Had to break the tights out of storage, but it was a good run. I didn't get my time/space exactly right, so I ended up with about 10 extra minutes on the back end, but the run mix was kicking so I rolled in pretty good.

MS 2 x 200 & 3 x 1000 (target 6:00) @ between 5:41 - 5:48

Looking forward to some easy core/stretching tomorrow.
  • Options
    Moved things around a little due to vacation, so did the Sunday run on Saturday, and the Saturday run on Sunday. Saturday was MUCH better then Sunday.

MS 2x200 & 4x1000 (target 7:02) - All were between 6:54 - 6:58

I was a little concerned with pavement conditions as we just had some snow, but they weren't all that bad. Our city rocks for clearing the paths.

The Z3 run today just didn't happen. I was able to be just at Z4. I partly blame all the slush on the trails (warmed up a little today which created a bit of a mess), but I also just didn't have it in me. I was able to negative split, so I call it a win image
  • Options

good work all, I feel fortunate that I am in Charleston, SC and not having to deal with cold.

got the 2x200 and 3 x 1000 done yesterday and man were my legs trashed.

Saturday's run was right after the bike and I think I was overly dehydrated so Sat did not go well, but hit paces on Sunday and right now really enjoying today off