Home Outseaon November 2011 Group Discussion-Outseason November 2011
Options

Week 15 NOS Bike Sessions

Back on schedule and what fun we had this morning.  1st FTP work with the new zones and I had to go old school and pull out some old Tours to watch.  Dede was standing next to me in my basement waving his pitch fork at me. Done, but oh, boy its going to be a fun few weeks!

8 @ 0.98 / 10 @ 0.99 / 12 @ 0.98 / 10 @ 0.97

Get after it everyone!

Comments

• Options

Whew…..that sucked about as much as I expected!   I ran hard yesterday to make up for Sunday.  Ran too hard, V02 inside of 8+ miles and my legs were super tight/sore this morning getting up for that.  This morning was an exercise in mental focus/toughness……..

Interval 1:

Duration:                8:00

TSS:                       12.5 (intensity factor 0.969)

Norm Power:          293

Interval 3:

Duration:                10:01

TSS:                       15.2 (intensity factor 0.956)

Norm Power:          289

Interval 5:

Duration:                12:01

TSS:                       18.5 (intensity factor 0.961)

Norm Power:          290

Interval 7:

Duration:                10:07

TSS:                       15.8 (intensity factor 0.967)

Norm Power:          292

Entire workout (240 watts):

Duration:                1:10:14 (1:10:54)

Work:                     1009 kJ

TSS:                       87.9 (intensity factor 0.873)

Norm Power:          264

Distance:               25.374 mi

Min     Max    Avg

Power:                    0         337     240     watts

Heart Rate:            91       200     147     bpm

Cadence:               30       173     82       rpm

Speed:                    0         26.9    21.6    mph

• Options

Did my FTP work last night with a Sufferfest video. Bring on the pain!

• Options

did my wko early this morning

did 8, 10, 12, 10 at 1.01, 1.01, 1.01, and .98 respectively of FTP

I am finding it hard to get back to FTP intervals.

• Options

Did mine at dark-thirty this morning also, 8/10/12/10 at .99/.99/1.01/1.01. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who found this difficult! I thought intervals of no longer than 12' would be easy. I thought wrong! 

Run still to come this evening....

• Options

S2, Roy, Jenn, i am with you ....  those FTP intervals i found more mental than physical hard,

I even cut the rest minutes down so i am sooner over it,  last 10'  were crazy though  ...

" ... and than I pray they listen"

• Options
    Wednesday ride done early in the a.m. Definitely feeling the runs, had a ensure I had a deeeeep warmup.

8 / 10 / 12 @ 0.99 / 0.98 / 0.97

Looking forward to the rest (stretch and core work) day tomorrow! Nice work everyone.
  • Options
    last few days i've been out of the loop - got it done last nite - 8,10,12,10 @ Z4 - no run - i agree back to the long ftp stuff = not fun
  • Options
    I thought it was me - why was that such a hard workout I was wondering? Nice to see I'm not alone. Ended up shifting today's (Wednesday's run) to tomorrow due to work issues. But I think the rest day will do me good. Until I get to the weekend with no Friday off...
  • Options

Just checking in.  My Sunday run has brought back my cold and I have been off work for two day.  Still hacking and coughing so holding off on any workouts.  It's looking like Saturday might be the first of the week.

Gordon

• Options

knocked out the ride first thing

felt good during first interval so ended up doing

14 -- @ .99 IF

10 -- @ .98 IF

6 -- @ .98 IF

looking forward to tomorrow (I am starting my swim drills work tomorrow ... ... shhhh, don't tell anyone) starting to get antsy inside of 20 weeks from IMCDA!

• Options

Thurs 3 X 10’ Bike:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148274311

Interval 1:

TSS:                       16.3 (intensity factor 0.989)

Norm Power:          299

Interval 3:

Duration:                10:00

TSS:                       16.4 (intensity factor 0.993)

Norm Power:          300

Interval 5:

TSS:                       16.7 (intensity factor 1)

Norm Power:          302

Entire workout (241 watts):

Duration:                1:00:26 (1:01:07)

TSS:                       77.3 (intensity factor 0.881)

Norm Power:          266
  • Options
    8' @ NP 243 (IF 1.071)
    10' @ NP 245 (IF 1.079)
    12' @ NP 245 (IF 1.081)

Ran out of time and had to go be a Dad. I was actually looking forward to that last 10', too!
  • Options
    Got mine done this morning. Tuesday was a bit of a bust. Got 2x10 done, but that was it. Think my legs were still cooked from ski race on Sunday. Still can't run due to ribs...not sure when they'll get better...seems like it's taking longer than it should, but no idea what else to do other than wait and suffer. Anyway....I've decided my new FT is 235, up from 220 at last test (week 8?), so today it was:

WU - 20'
    3 x 10' @ 236, 238, 237

Hope everyone else is having a good week. I'm thinking Richard's FT isn't 227 anymore!
  • Options
    8',10',12' @ Z4 last nite - not so bad - today = core stuff

@ Bill i agree mr ling needs an FTP bump
  • Options
    Did my bike yesterday evening, same ergo bike in the gym, has wattage but "Bike fit" sucks, peddaling squares and no fans. 

Here the workout links (HR only sorry) 

Looking forward to tomorrow, liked the WO last week, like the mixture of the FTP/VO2 stuff.

• Options
    @Jeff and Bill. I was really pleased with how I did. Considering that I just tested last week and was at 234, I'm thinking that I approached my test with the wrong mentality. Even though it was an increase from before, and I felt whipped, I'm guessing that my FTP is higher (and closer to where I was before I got hurt). I think that most of it is the VO2 intervals that have helped increase my top end back to where it was previously.

While I do watch my watts, I also have a pretty good idea of the gearing I need to be in to get to certain levels. So, VO2 intervals have been done at 53-14, FTP has been done at 53-16. But, yesterday I did my FTP at 53-15, and was able to hold it; this is what I meant by the wrong mentality. I shifted into the 53-15 by accident (didn't realize it); the wattage went up, and my effort seemed higher, but was doable, and when I looked down to check what gear I was in... Surprise! That's what I mean by the wrong mentality. So, for future FTP intervals and testing, I'm going to try to hold the 53-15.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Options
    First out-door ride since I started the OS and 1st outdoor ride with power ever. As I haven't been on these roads in a long time, I bagged the VO2 assignment and just rode to see how the power fluctuates outdoors. With the slightly rolling course I chose today, I was amazed at the variation in power in relation to HR and PE. Really dialed it back on the hills to see what "race execution pacing" should feel like. Makes me truly understand how powerful a tool a power meter is. Proper power management and smoothing over terrain is going to be a learned skill for me. Any who:

1:35 total time. 27 miles, ave 17 mph, 194 ave watts, 122 ave HR.

Lesson learned #2: I need toe covers. My toes were frozen when I finished the ride. Keep after it everyone!
  • Options

Roy, I envy you ... i need to wait till April, until I can invest in a PM, anyway we have currently -15°C, no way i am riding outside

• Options

I had each of my 3 boys in there with me to do a 20’ session on their trainer one after another for most of my session.

Mine was brutal but successful with a 280 NP for 75 minutes………………….

I did a 8 X 2’ and 2 X 1’ V02, then a 1 X 6’ Z4, ending with 1 X 10’ Z3……. A tall order on the heels of this week’s Mon, Wed, and Fri run sessions………

Entire workout (245 watts):

Duration:               1:15:16 (1:16:37)

Work:                     1106 kJ

TSS:                       106.6 (intensity factor 0.928)

Norm Power:          280
  • Options
    Mixed it up by getting a little Sufferfest Revolver in today for some VO2 work. Plan was 15 x 1 minutes, but those that have done it know the real deal. Good ride @ a bit over an hour, with all intevals between 1.2 and 1.32 IF. The video was actually really good and made the intervals go by pretty quick. Next week will be my last in the OS as I'm coming out to get the boys snipped. The recommended 2 weeks rest will be my "transition period" and then I'm loading up a IM plan. I'm sure fun will ensue.
  • Options
    Good luck Roy. Sounds like you are putting the Transition Period to good use!
  • Options

so I am behind on posting

Saturday ride called for 12 minutes "on" time and I decided to hook up with a road cycling group since they are always sprinting and I figured it would be good for a change.

Ended up doing 40 miles in 1:47:50 with an IF of .92. The only thing I dislike about this ride is they have two sections to re-group where they literally stop and wait for all 40-50 folks. Kinda does make for a little bit of admin time, but I bought a new Kestrel road bike over X-mas so wanted to do a road ride and see if I could hang.

Two blocks before the first re-group, the front 7 just punched it and I jumped trying to go with them. Right before I blew up I looked at the Joule and was at 845 watts. (Checked out WKO results when I got home and I had a 10 sec ave of 844 for that section.) Later in the ride I had a 650 1 minute ave and a 545 2 min ave.

All and all it was a blast and I proved that I can hang with all but the pure sprinters.

Of course my FTP intervals yesterday morning sucked (first because of Saturday and second bcs the cold front had the temp at 27 degrees)