Home General Training Discussions
Options

Hobbled by Low Back Pain

Hey guys,

I spent much of last week skiing with my husband and father-in-law – great weather, good times. Logged a solid bike test on Monday, and a great delayed run test on Thursday, dropped 2 minutes from my first OS run test, so that was a result.

It kind of all came crashing down on Saturday morning, when I got out of bed and was hobbled by some pretty serious pain in my lower back. As I moved around it seemed to improve slightly, and I managed my Saturday ride – thankfully I didn’t have a t-run scheduled post-ride. By Saturday evening there was a lot of discomfort, especially when sitting and getting up from sitting. Sunday morning I opted not to do my 45 minute run, and tried to rest as much as possible. I did a little bit of stretching and roller work on my hamstrings/legs, with the thinking that tightness in my legs could be a contributing factor. By Sunday evening I was walking with my hip hitched out to the right, and struggling to stand (basically, "move slowly or else") from a sitting position. I stayed away from the office yesterday, knowing what the discomfort would be like.

I have an appointment with my physio tomorrow morning (earliest I could get), but I’m wondering whether anyone else has experienced this? I have a bike scheduled for tonight, I'm willing to try to get through it, but wonder if it will hinder a recovery.

I’m not sure whether it can be attributed to having added a considerable amount of alpine skiing into the mix (most seasons I ski at least once a week, this year, I hadn’t hit the slopes until last Monday). I fear that much of the problem is my core strength; I know for sure it isn’t what it should be. I also have problems maintaining my hip alignment (due in part to my weaker core), which I think is a contributing factor as well.

Comments

• Options
    @ND, yikes!!! Sounds like maybe a slipped disk or something? My wife does this 1x a year, and it's debilitating. If you can get in to see a chiro or ART professional, that might help too. Keep us posted!
  • Options

Thanks Coach P!

Turns out it is a bulging L5, which means sitting down is the worst thing for it at the moment. I've got some exercises and traction movements to do from now and through the weekend, seeing my physio again on Monday. I opted to come home and stand around for the day and head back to the office tomorrow. Any flexion is out, so no core work for me in the immediate future. The disc is squishing out mainly on the right side, which is why my right hip tends to stick out a bit as the day wears on.

The compression from the skiing, and the fact that I did alot of skiing in a 5 day period had alot to do with it.

So, I've got to focus on what I can do, biking is ok, but for no more than 45 mins to an hour, and swimming is ok. I'm off the run for a little while, I suppose until at least Monday. I'll go over to the micro thread to ask about any adjustments to my plan for the rest of the week, and probably into next week. Walking apparently is quite a good thing too, so I'll incorporate some of that as well.

Edited: should have been micro thread in the original message.

• Options
    Nicole. Be careful with biking because you are sitting oftentimes with lumbar spine in a flexed position. Pay attention not just to symptoms while in bike but symptoms after.
  • Options
    Good point John, I will definitely be paying attention to what things feel like when I'm actually riding as well.
  • Options

Good luck and feel better. I have a bulging L5/S1 disc and occasionally have issues but it seems to improve more when I'm active. Most PT's and Docs recommend avoiding bed rest and being active as tolerated.

• Options
    It's funny Jeff, because my PT told me that walking around was actually one of the best things for me. She knows that I'm not just going to give up everything, I can't just be still, I'd go crazy! I spent the day "not sitting"yesterday, basically, standing most of the time, and when not standing lying on my stomach, which is also apparently very effective. By the end of the day, I was still walking upright, which was an improvement from Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

I haven't tried to do anything super active since Saturday, but I'm planning on swimming or attempting a ride tonight.
  • Options
    Nicole- hope you are feeling better.
    After many years as an ICU nurse, back pain was normal for me. When I stopped that heavy work, my pain was better, but not gone.
    Then I began core work and the pain was occasional. Now I am in a program to really strengthen the glutes and keep a neutral pelvis position. No pain for many months after many years of problems.

You hit the nail on the head. Core strength- not abs.
    When you are healed up, I recommend you look for something similar. As stoing as we are (endurance athletes) we are very limited and one dimensional. I do the exercises 3-4x/week. Sometimes it is a struggle to find time, but it's better than being unable to do my training.
  • Options
    Exactly right Michele, my PT has basically made the switch from a complete folcus on treating the problem, to adding some strengthening of the core and glutes. I got clearance this morning to run from 5-10km, which is great, although for now it will be steady, nothing much beyond Z3. I go back in 2 weeks to get checked again. I should know how running feels in the next two days.

I rode last night, very solid ride, and attempted a few intervals at my prescribed zones, and it went very well. No pain while riding, and no resultant pain once I got off the bike, which was encouraging. Not in aero at this point, I'll be taking my time to do that while I rebuild my strength and flexibility.

Super happy that I dealt with the problem immediately instead of living with it for too long, it seems to have helped me move toward a good outcome.