Home General Training Discussions
Options

Question: Need Sundays off- Changing plan

I need some of you EN Veterans to help me out.  I had this same question posted on the 3.0 version but I can't access it  for some reason.  Question:  I need to take Sundays off.  So, I've been moving the general weekly plan up by one day.  So instead of Mondays and Fridays being my rest days, I take Sunday and Thursday. 

Also, due to not having time to ride on Friday, work day;  I do the typical prescribed biking for Saturday on Saturday (so no change there) but I've moved Sundays typical run to Friday.  Meaing, I run moderately hard Friday, then Brick on Saturday as listed.  Am I missing something by not running a day after the long bike as listed on the plans? Or, am I compromising something else I haven't considered by the changes listed above?

Thanks! 

Comments

• Options

Steve,

No, you're not compromising anything. Just ask yourself "is what I'm doing today (Workout A) going to possibly compromise what I'm supposed to do tomorrow (Workout B)?"

If A is more important that B, and A compromises B, don't worry about it.

If B is more important than A, but A compromises B, might want to fix that.

Bottomline is that the schedule, as written, does a good job making sure that Monday works with Tues works with Wed, etc. As you start to move stuff around on the calendar, you might find that stuff doesn't work together so well. However, everyone is different, has different schedules, time constraints, ability to recover, etc so hard to make a blanket statement. Just use your head and ask us for help if you get stuck.

Rich

• Options

Thanks Rich, that's the feedback I was hoping for.  I like general principles like what you suggested and leaving it up to us to personalize it to our unique needs, etc.  I'm going to have to experiement with what I'm doing currently to know for sure.  Right now, the bike is my limiter and so it would be considered priority A workout.  I'll see if running hard the day before compromises the weekly long bike with the brick run workout. 

• Options
    Yep. In general, always ask "how is what I'm doing today going to affect tomorrow or the next day?"