Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Week of August 27th

2»

Comments

• Options
    @ Matt - that's kind of my plan, only that my crash is going to be more like a fender bender in that I plan on doing more than that in the last 3 days. Can't stress enough how little I care about the outcome of this race. The fun for me is the process of getting there and just going and being part of it. Unless they change the venue again, it's likely I'll never do it again. Same with Kona if I ever make it. There are too many great places to race and see instead of going back to the same venue again and again ... even if it is the world champs.
  • Options
    Last post for summer HIM group. You guys have been great for accountability. After Vegas, I'm switching to the IMCOZ forum since I'm already 8 weeks into the 20 week plan. Today, in this order:

Run - 7 miles. Wow, was I flat the first few miles. Just ran at IM pace, but I felt much better after the first 3.
    Swim - 2100 SCY. Includes 2 x 500 pull w buoy to save legs and 10x50 drill work. Felt good in the water.
    Bike - Back in the saddle for 53 miles in the heat. That made 250 miles for the week ... definitely feeling the IM volume.

Matt, William - See you in Vegas!
    Jimmy - rock on!
  • Options
    Thx paul. Good luck at coz. I will be looking forward to your race report as that will be my first ironman ever when i head out there next year.
    Got to swim a bit at the race site today. good. walked damn near 6mi with wife while shopping. bad.
  • Options
    Oy, I'm behind here. Good luck Paul...I'm sure we will wee you around and be following how things go for you! I'm in a much better place than I was 6 weeks ago...I can actually imagine the season going on (like for a Nov marathon or something), but I'm not going to do it...this will be it for my season.

Friday's run was nondescript but good. Another intentional run in the heat and getting faster as I went. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/218188787

This weekend was a little nuts. On Saturday, we had the IronKids Nationals in DSM and my 12 year olds were competing...so that took most of the day. (Small brag...Timothy came in 20th AG and in top half of all 12-15 year olds; Olivia came in 4th AG, top 10% all girls 12-15, top 25% all 12-15 year olds ... The field is of course biased toward this part of the country, but it really was "national"... tons of kids from CO, TX, MN, IL, IN, AL,GA, FL, CA, MO, KS etc)

Anyway, we got back and I was pretty darn tired from standing around all morning in relative heat, but I decided to go ahead with my 2.5 hr ride (as Matt described). It went pretty well, all things considered. Felt very strong and like I had to hold back to keep it to my target watts for most of the ride. Eventually, the overall day and a silly decision to just head out with a bunch of water instead of taking a bunch of time to get some nutrition kind of got to me, but I was pleased. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/218188801

Took Sunday off, as that's in the plan and we were also finishing up celebrating the twins' birthdays. I will do a little more than in the plan between now and Wed, but nothing crazy. Because I have the day off today (Monday), I'm moving the brick from Tuesday to today.
  • Options

Matt, Paul and anyone else racing Vegas (sorry but I can't remember all who qualified) - Good luck and have lots of fun.  Be safe, be smart and be fast. 

• Options
    Ok Paul, see you in Vegas! I have one week left posting here...
  • Options

Another missed ride on Sunday due to the threat of rain that never actually happened. So I ended up with a very quick swim instead...a mere 1100yd

Overall 1100 SCY in 21:18, avg pace 1:30/100 excl rest intervals. Avg efficiency 35, 10 strokes/length.

W/U 300 – 1:36

8x100 on the 2:00 SI – 1:27, 1:27, 1:25, 1:26, 1:27, 1:28, 1:28, 1:26