Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Big Tri Day inside?

I'm in week 11 of the IM plan and it calls for a big tri day this saturday.  If the weather isn't great, would it be better to do the bike on the trainer inside, or push the big tri day to next week and hope for better weather?  Of course there is always option #3 to HTFU and getter done, but i don't like riding in the cold if i can help it!  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a huge fan of riding in the cold unless I really have to either..

Big Days should be more in the fun catagory IMO...If the weather next weekend looks better I would push it out a week. If the weather looks better for Sunday this week you could consider doing that. I've also been known to take a Friday off from work if the weather is best compared to Saturday to get a big day of training in.

If Forced to do it inside I would Drive to the swim site, drive back home, 3 hours on the trainer, run outside. done. Executing my nutrition plan along the way..
  • Options
    Nate makes a good.

I would do the ride outside. I think, if it is not raining/snowing, outside will give you a better physical/mental workout so when your IM is on you can reach into your mental tool box and know you got this because you have trained under these conditions.

So, its too cold....hummm , what will you say when it's too hot?
  • Options
    Not sure where in CO you are, but Saturday high in Denver is 63 with 5mph winds...about as good as you can expect...anything over 50 is totally rideable in my mind. If you HAVE TO be inside, and this is RR #1, then you can shorten to 4 hours and ride just slightly harder (.75 instead of .73, for example)...otherwise we need that time in!
  • Options

@Nate - Thanks - Yes, that would be my approach if forced inside

@David - Totally with you.  Outside is better all the way around.  point taken on the ability to deal with whatever weather you get on race day!

@Coach P. - I like your forecast better than mine.  I'm showing 52 on saturday.  One way or another i'll get in the hours over the weekend.  Hopefully that will be outside.

Thanks all!