Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

run before swim problem

Coach, I'm about to start week 19 of HIM plan. Last Friday I had two workouts. Normally I swim first, and run later in the day, but the run was on a treadmill at 2% incline, so I decided to do them back to back. Since you always put the run first on my list, I decided maybe this was for a reason. Run went well and then I got into the pool. 900 yards in I had the worse calf and foot cramp of my life. Got to the end of the lane and as I was pulling myself out of the pool, the other leg completely locked up. I sat there legs extended and watched my toes bend in directions that were anything but normal and completely painful. After literally 5 minutes I managed to get to my feet and walk off.  The next day was a RR on bike (56 miles) and then 6 mile run. Did well on the bike and great on the run. After, one of my calves is very sore to the touch and has heat in it. The other is fine. I opted to sit out today and skip my ABP bike. Hope that was the right choice. Tomorrow I am to swim and run again. What should I do? Im thinking swim am, recover, run pm. Agree?    Jodi

Comments

• Options
    @Jodi, I know you were in pain so I don't want to laugh but your description made me think of The Exorcism. image Ok, swim first, then run yes...running and swimming OUCH.
  • Options
    Thanks, Patrick. My husband laughed too... I did swim first today with no problems. I do have a very sore calf still, but I can work through it. I realized I made a mistake on the bike portion of my RR Saturday. I am new to power and was supposed to go zone 3, but the number I had in my head was zone 4. I thought I did good hitting the number, but my AVERAGE watts ended up in the correct zone 3. What should I do on race day in 2 weeks (HIM?)
  • Options
    @Jodi, we want you to target Zone 3 watts...we are looking for the normalized power for that ride, not the average. Normalized is a reflection of what your body experienced during your ride! Maybe check out our Training with Power eBook? https://www.box.net/shared/l57mxcp2pa