Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Switch from Beginner to Intermediate Plan IM

Currently in Week 12 of beginner IM plan...finally took a look at the self-coaching wiki, and think I might need to be in the intermediate plan instead.  HIM PR of 6:00:48 at Augusta 2011.  Did 6:39 at HITS Napa Valley a few weeks ago.  Goal for IMCDA is sub 13...12:59:59 okey dokey by me.  I'm an RPE/HR guy: 100yd swim TT avg right around 1:40.  Not a very good cyclist - no background at all (still trying to figure out what a Z1 effort feels like) - only avgd 15.1mpg at napa - llkely need to improve that by 1.5-2 mph to have a shot at sub 13.  Marathon PR 3:37 - reckon I am still around that or faster - today's 5K test at 21:38 (treadmill).  So, thoughts about switching, especially this far along?

On a not related topic, after reading history of EN, backgrounds of other stronger triathletes - and looking 1-2 years down the road - do you think there is any value in developing a large base of cycling after CDA?  It is clearly my weak element, and such a large part of triathlons.  Looking to get a power meter this fall/winter and looking forward to seeing what that means for me...but again, was curious as to any value in developing a deeper base of time in the seat...maybe I'm just impatient to see the power/speed come on the bike.

Sorry, got sidetracked...longer than I expected.  8 Weeks, 3 Days!!!

Comments

• Options

Posted By Mark Hickman on 25 Apr 2013 11:24 PM

Currently in Week 12 of beginner IM plan...finally took a look at the self-coaching wiki, and think I might need to be in the intermediate plan instead.  HIM PR of 6:00:48 at Augusta 2011.  Did 6:39 at HITS Napa Valley a few weeks ago.  Goal for IMCDA is sub 13...12:59:59 okey dokey by me.  I'm an RPE/HR guy: 100yd swim TT avg right around 1:40.  Not a very good cyclist - no background at all (still trying to figure out what a Z1 effort feels like) - only avgd 15.1mpg at napa - llkely need to improve that by 1.5-2 mph to have a shot at sub 13.  Marathon PR 3:37 - reckon I am still around that or faster - today's 5K test at 21:38 (treadmill).  So, thoughts about switching, especially this far along?

On a not related topic, after reading history of EN, backgrounds of other stronger triathletes - and looking 1-2 years down the road - do you think there is any value in developing a large base of cycling after CDA?  It is clearly my weak element, and such a large part of triathlons.  Looking to get a power meter this fall/winter and looking forward to seeing what that means for me...but again, was curious as to any value in developing a deeper base of time in the seat...maybe I'm just impatient to see the power/speed come on the bike.

Sorry, got sidetracked...longer than I expected.  8 Weeks, 3 Days!!!

Yes, recommend you move to the Intermediate plan. 

Re cycling base: it's not about base, it's about getting FAST. Fast, then Far. Our best tools for that are the OS and GF plans. Don't think volume, just think "work very hard and get faster on the bike." You can always build endurance on top of a much faster bike. But pure endurance work doesn't necessarily build speed.

Would be a good topic to post in the General Discussion forum for the team to weigh in on with their experiences.