Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas
Options

IMTX April29th to May5th

OK its week 18.  Last week of  real training and then its taper time.

2700yds in the pool... 500 wu , 10 x 200 , 200 cd.... Rest and Recovery from the weekend for the remainder of the day!

Comments

• Options

Holy Schmoly....the back end of this week is MAY!....aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh can't wait ( I will admit to a few butterflies seen flittering around my stomach)

3500 in the pool this morning at steady (race?) pace - 1:05...

Maybe...maybe a light run later today...maybe.

• Options
    Can't wait. Final RR this weekend. Then it's taper time. Starting to get a little nervous.
  • Options
    Love it and can't wait. Early season races suck for obvious reason but the upside is we're racing in three weeks and we enter the summer crushing our friends on the bike LOL. I had a great race at the Nashville 1/2 Mary Saturday...it was WET but fun. Good 3k swim this morning and looking forward to the run at lunch. Going to spin class with the wife tonight.

Is there and EN meet-up in Texas? I'd love to meet you guys that I've been virtually training with while I'm there.
  • Options
    Today is my first open water swim of the year. Local lake is finally over 60 degrees so time to get my face wet!
  • Options
    @Dwight, look at the thread titled "TeamEN Event Information" in the Texas forum. Has all the deets. Congrats with the race this weekend!

@Tom, good luck with the OWS.

Rainy weather here put me on the tread mill. I almost canx'ed it because its a slightly different movement and I didn't want to mess with the mojo this close to game day, but in the end, I gave myself a can of shut up and work. 5.8 in 43 minutes with 15 @ Z3 and 5 @ Z2. Looking to swim tonight if the pool schedule and I can come to agreement.

Keep after it, but make good decisions with an eye to showing up 100% come start time.
  • Options

Well light drizzle...thought I felt good so I went out for run...definitely feeling some cumulative fatige in the legs...very easy warmup...picked it up to between z2-z3 for a couple miles then cruised another mile before callin it a day......no need to overdo anything today.

• Options
    3k yards in the pool. 10x100's on 1:29's and 6x200's on 1:40's. Definitely tired by the end.
  • Options
    Easy day today. 40 minute easy jog followed by focused stretching. Working on body asymmetries.
  • Options
    Woohoo my last trainer ride for IMTX is done.... 1.5hrs 2 x 20 @ .95 and 1 x 25 @ .75 , followed it up with a 3 mile brick......

Packing up and headed to the Woodlands tomorrow... Day off for travel!

Looks like they are getting cool spell for a few days... I want some HEAT!
  • Options
    @Tim. Have a safe trip. I'm hoping for cool and over cast
  • Options
    @Tim- Leaving a little early are you?!?! Pursuant to my training this off-season I'm hoping for RAIN...LOL all I've been training in is rain.

Put in a good 60 minute run this morning and hitting the pool for 3K at lunch. Having a hard time concentrating at work anymore...excited and nervous. Mostly about RR Saturday ... really want a good one.

And
  • Options
    Tim, just wondered how the bike is traveling?     bike bag on airplane?   what kind of bag?
  • Options
    @ Robin , I have a tri all 3 sports hard case, traveling on southwest , I think they are up to 75$ each way now but not sure , case is ok , has wheels but its a bit tippy!

@JK LOL well its gonna be hot .... its just a matter of how hot?

@Dwight.... yep early..... going for some acclimation training...... I'm actually on a waitlist for the local sprint tri this saturday too... not sure I wanna partake though we shall see.
  • Options
    @Tim, good luck with travels and get there safe. Keep us updated on conditions and things you learn while you are there!

@Dwight, good luck this weekend. Slow and steady!

Today's run done and dusted. 7.5 in 58 with 3x1 mile @ TP. Light drizzle felt nice but the track was soggy. Trade offs.
  • Options
    Today's run finished. Next up swim. Getting close everybody.
  • Options

Heat pace calculator is up in the wiki.  Might be of use in the Woodlands.

https://www.box.com/s/0sh530z6qjcf8k0oe4cc

• Options

Some days turn out better than expected...I was feeling kinda tired and sluggish all day...and having some speed on my run agenda...well...I wasn't really feelin' it....weather was nice and I was on one of my favoriet "TT" routes an out & back ..out along dirt towpath & back on the otherside on the road...I needed a couple of 7min/miles and figured I would warmup easy 3 out and try to hit the speed on the way back...first mile and I was feelin' sluggish but hit the mark at 7:50 okay...about halfway through the second warmup mile I get passed by some youngster with a friend pacing him on a bike...now...I don't get passed often (not cuz I'm fast...just is a fact..I'm fast enough that not many people out where I am are runnin' faster)..anyway....he gaps me quickly by 20yards...and well...I don't like getting passed...so I figure I need to pick it up a bit...which is stoopid cuz I'm still warming up...but hey...ego matters...I hit mile 2 7:25 and the turn around mile 3 6:59...I never closed the gap but the guy was there takin' his shirt off and breathing heavy...(for all I know he just finished up 20 miles..) anyway I thanked him for the pacing and made my turn ...feeling good now...I came back 6:58,6:49, then eased of 7:00 for 6 @7:10 avg...not bad for being tired and sluggish all day....ya just never know.

• Options
    @Joseph - Love it! Just glad you didn't injure yourself image
  • Options
    @Joseph, Nice job.
  • Options

Thanks all...was thinking this morning...Kinda amazing how the body's energy develops an ebb & flow through weekly training cycles...Monday being sooo dang tough after the big weekends...then slowly tuesday better...wednesday...better as you build the volume and effort again Thursday---Sunday...and then start all over again...cool.

3000yds this morning...felt so much better than Monday....20x100(25)/10x50(20) all at T-5/10' 

Can't believe we are so close...

• Options

Everyone disappeared!....LOL

Solid Hour of riding last evening @ 90+IF (20mi/21mph/203NP)..

Long Run tonite...then deciding on Day Off tommorrow before final RR and long swim on Sunday ...or Long Swim Tommorrow...will decide....tommorrow morning.

• Options
    @Joseph-- we're still all here!

Did my last ride on the &^&%* trainer this morning image LAST long run tonight and then RR Saturday. Stoked.
  • Options
    Put a fork in me, I'm done. That had to be the slowest most difficult long run to date. 12 miles in 90 minutes, which felt like an eternity. Scary part was at end of run, I was covered in salt. Today's temp was in mid to upper 60s. Texas is going to be hell
  • Options
    Sorry make that 11 miles in 1:30
  • Options
    @John-- You're just tired, fatigued, and over it like the rest of us. Chin up my man....taper is coming at the perfect time. You've worked your ass off and it will pay off in two weeks.

**NOTE: I type this BEFORE my long run tonight image
  • Options
    @Dwight. Thanks for pep talk. I'm not feeling down or worried just tired. Taper is coming at the perfect time. Running today legs felt like bricks. Have a good run tonite
  • Options
    us big men will just have to work the cooling tricks on the run.    ice to various locations.    wet hat.   cooling arm covers.     I may even do the surgical gloves with ice in them.
  • Options
    Weather has been great here the last two days. I've dialed the intensity back and enjoyed the change. Rode 1:30 yesterday and hit a small block (~8 minute strava segment) a little over FTP (1.08/333np). The rest of the ride I tooled around and enjoyed the day, ended with total ride of 0.73/220np. Felt great to just ride. Today's long run was 1:45 exactly with 8 road miles and 3.5 trail miles. Trail was very muddy so I ended up with a bit of slop, but that was fun for a change of pacel.

Taking tomorrow off work, the kids and I will sleep in before taking them to school, and I'm looking to swim race distance straight. Then a whole lot of nothing.

Keep on it everyone. Sounds like everyone's getting ready for taper madness!
  • Options

I can feel everyones fatique...

12 tonite @ 7:32's (1:30)...didn't warm up enough...then didn't drink enough...and legs tired...

Still trying to decide on day off tommorow pre-RR  & 4k swim Sunday or 4k swim tommorrow and Sunday off...currently leaning towards Sunday swim.............

Looking forward to the RR...and the Taper!

• Options
    Hey All , I'm still here!

Got to the Woodlands yesterday... car rental and room problems... got all settled and drove the course last night... It was hazy hot and humid with zero winds....checked out the course and then ran 4 miles to wrap up the day.

Today hit the local YMCA (very nice) got a free pass with 30 visits since YMCA member in NH... 2200yds this am.... Waited till this afternoon to go for a bike ride (had to put together bike etc and was waiting for the warmest part of the day) Shoulda went this am.... Ended up with a wind advisory in affect (winds out of the North opposite normal wind) , so I put my disc cover on and went for it LOL.... I freaking froze my ass off and I'm not even kidding... My hands were so cold I couldnt eat my gel or put my running shoes on for my brick (thumbs not working) ended up with 48.8 miles done on the northern loop of the course , rolling little hills and more rough pavement than I would care for but not bad , most of the southern portion of the course is very nice , quick 3 mile brick after.... Back to the pool in the am for an IM swim pre-weekend...