Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Not hitting the Long run's very well

So, this happened the last time (only time) I did an IM.  I can hit all the workouts during the week and do fairly well on the weekends, but the long run I always struggle.  I'd say 2 of 3 of them I just and dead about 1/2 or 2/3 into them.  I'm taking nutrition etc but I just seem to hit a wall.  Its frustrating because running is usually my strength.

Anyone else having these issues?

This week, i'm going to try even more nutrition (cals) and see what happens.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I have been little hit and miss with long runs. Injuries, bike focus and a few other things seem to have conspired against me. My trick has been to focus on time and not miles, have parts of the course where I focus on work and others where I just noodling along. That seems to break it up and when I get in 105 minutes, or whatever the plan calls for (I am still doing 1/2 IM plan until a race on May 4), the volume seems right.

• Options

Yeah first reaction is to wonder about calories too. How much do you take in? I used to really drag in the last 3/4 of those long runs but bumped up my cal intake from basically nothing to about 300 cal/hour (20oz perform or gatorade + 2 gels, which I do as a good sip every mile and a gel every 30min), I've found its easy to stomach that as long as I dont try any solids or drink just water. It is a drag to carry all that around on a long run (for 2hr+ runs, I loop back to the house and pick up a new set of bottles and gels after the 1st hour) but the difference has been remarkable for me. 

• Options
    So, i adjusted my nutrition and drank more and it kinda helped. This week a freind agreed to join me and I was more on pace. Although it was hot 85-90 degree's when we finished. So, paces slowed, but i was satisfied with the paces. They were about right considering the heat.

Plus, its been REALLY REALLY windy here in Nor Cal the last 3 or 4 weeks and allergys have been going crazy, so that's probably also contributing to my slowness on the run.

Hopefully my friend can run with me a few more times ;-)