Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Quassy Course Preview Ride and SC RR Question

Hi Coach! Rev3 Quassy in 3 weeks. Hoping to get out and ride the course tomorrow since today's weather didn't play nice. Question: What is the best way to get the most out of riding the actual course? Go as hard as I can for training effect or try to ride like I would on race day (flattening the hills, etc)?

Also, next Sunday I'm doing a duathlon (5k run, 17mi bike, 5k run) which I will use as my SC race rehersal.  What's the best way to adjust my week?  Should I move the MS from Sun. run to Fri, then take Sat. off totally?  My legs have been SUPER heavy lately (since 10k bike test/TT like 10 days ago...  But got a 14pt FTP bump!)

Comments

• Options
    Edit: I'll be doing the Quassy course Memorial weekend but the question still applies.
  • Options
    @Kim, you ride to flatten it for 45 miles, then push the last 11! I say you drop the Sunday run altogether (so Fri and Sat off) and make sure you really push the duathlon!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P! I'm doing the Oly so should I assume flatten for 20 miles and push last 5?

Also, I really want to view my power file from Quassy last year but I got a new computer and can't figure out how to get the old files to load into Power Agent. (Saris has not been helpful!) Any suggestions on free software? I had a pretty good race and run last year so I'd like to duplicate it but I have no idea what IF I rode at! (Its more like a HIM for me as it takes almost 4 hours)

Any suggestion on how to pace the first 5k of the Du?
  • Options
    Kim, yes 20/5 for the Oly.

Not sure what type of file it is...if you list the extension in the Power/Pace forum the Team can help you identify what to use...

The first 5k is more Zone 3 work, not Zone 4, we want to be careful that you can build across the whole day. So warm up well, then dial in the target pace and sit a zone below threshold...then it's game on for the bike and and final run!
  • Options
    So I was looking at my plan for the net couple of weeks and it does not look like a 25mi ride on te Quassy course fits in. (It is about a 2hr ride for me) and I would not be able to do it until 5-6 days before the race. I certainly don't NEED to ride the course (I've done the race the ast 3 years, plus riden it a couple of additional times, just not this year) So I can either ride it next weekend (which is significantly more training than the plan calls for) or skip it and stick to the volume for weeks 19-20. I've only had 3 longer (20+mi) outdoor rides this year due to crap-ass weather here so I might be feeling a little less prepared in that regard than usual.

Thanks Coach! Totally psyched for race weekend! I'll be there on Sunday cheering on the team!
  • Options
    Kim, I'd find a hilly local ride instead....that should be fine (and do it for the duration specified)!