Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

HIM Advanced Week 18... MORE problems!!!

Hey Coach P,

I think maybe someone is trying to tell me something... after the little PF flareup, then the broken toe, NOW I have another double whammy... a sinus infection and some pretty bad bronchitis.  I just can't seem to catch a break.  I haven't been able to have what I felt like was a solid week of training in over a month.  My race is Eagleman, on June 9th.

This week, I ended up taking Monday off b/c I was feeling the sickness coming on... Tuesday, I thought it was a little better, so got my swim in and also did about 45 minutes of water running.  Wed, I felt like crap so took off... got set up with meds to help kick this thing, and today rest.  I have a bunch of questions for you to help figure this out...

1.  So, I was planning on doing an outdoor FTP test this week (I did manage to find a relatively flattish course not too far from me), but didn't get to do that due to illness.  I was hoping to have that number so that I could do my race rehearsal ride (which I was planning to do on the actual E-man course) using that FTP to pace, etc.  So now, I am left wondering if I should even do the race rehearsal on Sat, given how congested I am in the chest.  My ability to breathe is easier today, but yesterday it was borderline scary.

2.  I'd appreciate your honest opinion - should I even race?  E-man is hot and grueling.  I haven't run on solid ground for at least 3 weeks.  Now this setback and I am feeling utterly defeated. If this all had happened 6 weeks out, or even 4 weeks out, I would feel a little more optimistic, but I am 2.5 weeks out.  I was on track to go sub 5:30 if everything came together, and now I'm just not even sure what to expect.

So anyway, I'd appreciate your honest opinion on #2, or any thoughts you might have on that based on your experience and then how to restructure to get back on track in the next short 2.5 weeks?

Thanks so much.  I appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    @Kortney...I think you are well on your way for a stress-free 2014. But for now...ouch. I feel your pain. I think that IF YOU ARE HEALTHY you have nothing to lose from going out to ride the course on Saturday. That will give you way more info than me here in RI; with that info we can decide. We already had dialed back on your performance expectations, but it's clear that you are concerned about results...I think a race that you do to get back on track is just as important.

There's a lot that you love about the sport, that has you so committed that you have survived all of these trials...on some level connecting with the sport could help (not to race and suffer)...that's a very personal decision, so I stand by what you choose. Eagleman was going to be the validation of all your hard work; a race for results. It could be a place to reconnect with your roots, the Team, and to kick off the rest of your year.

Let me know...and get healthy PLEASE!
  • Options
    ok, thanks Coach. I'll play it by ear... take another rest day tomorrow and see how I feel tomorrow night before making the call to do the RR. Probably best not to make any decisions race-wise while I'm feeling so crappy, so that will likely be a game-time decision too. image

Thanks again for helping me through all of this!