Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

BTD reports, notes, tips, feedback, questions, etc

Don't worry Brenda, we're gonna sign in!

We're just too busy training and busting A$$ that we don't have time to do much narrating!

I'm going straight to the wko stuff....

Dropped off a special needs cooler with all refills last night.

BTD today! 

I was pretty rested for this, took some time off last weekend with the family, and been back at it since Wednesday. Wasn't worried about BTD cuz the paces were humane.

Oatmeal/PB/Syrup/Banana, Coffee, Perform Bottle, 1 Gel for early breakfast.  Not the prerace meal, just training convenience.

Really ez swim.  I don't really put much into this swim, just do this one to punch the clock.  20 x 100's ez (didn't watch the clock cuz it was dark and this pool is different length than the one I use to measure progress, yds vs m),  Great sunrise over head, very serene.

dried off, met the buds, warned them that today was a very controlled effort and off we go.  Despite the controlled (ie, backed off) pace, everyone bolted after the first lap.  So, I lost the social, but I gained the control.  Second lap went much smoother, much smaller spikes and steadier watt control overall.  Slight Neg Split for the 2 ~28 mile laps.

then, 6 miles of running....thought the bigger bike hills were going to toast me but I always struggle with the first ~20' of running to get any rhythm.  After 2 miles, there was some kick in the legs (it's relative, ya know!).  Able to run around z2ish and consistent splits.  Drank Perform every mile but didn't walk at the mile marks.

all in all, considering warmup and cooldown, ~69mi, 3:37, 2900 ft climbing, ~2300 cals out (guessing the run part), 1300 cals in, 3 lb weight loss (169->166).  on the bike: 1 Perform (2 scoops) + 1/2 bottle of H2O + 1 Gel + 2 SaltTabs per hour.  on the run: 1 Perform, fuel belt stuff.

Using Truscott's 15' IF strategy today for the first time.  As I continue to learn how to chill going up some of these small climbs, I expect that using IF in 15' intervals could work for me.  But, I've got to CHILL...more.  Still too hot on these hills.

Run felt surprisingly good but I don't know if I had a marathon in me.  

How 'bout you guys?  Did all of y'all feel like you could've run ALL day after that?  Or was it me?  I was happy that I had legs for a 10k but have to be real...I'm willing to bet that a marathon would have exposed my stupid mistakes made on the hills in this bike session

How'd it go?

Brenda, now I'm tired of typing so I'll sign in later today

Comments

• Options

Hi Chris and Brenda,

Joe Motz here. Thanks for your big day details Chris, helpful as I try to learn strategy. I  too had my big dry run day yesterday swim bike run on the intermediate plan. 

I was a bit concerned about fatigue coming into Sat. Had a bike test Tues. night-my first with PM seemed to go well with a whole new world of data vs my old HR only. Ended up with a 265Vo2 max and a 210 FTP. Although I don't have too much to compare this to I felt pretty good about it as being a good test. 

My run test on Thurs. on the other hand really sucked, hot day, maybe still tired from bike, etc. but I added like a minute to my 5K time and felt my HR was maxed out. Thinking I just stick to my previous run test on my profile and view this one as a fluke. 

Sat: big Tri day 1hr swim with test, 3.5bike and 1hr run. Did a scrambled egg and bagel prior along with a Gu and glass of milk

Swim my weak link; went fair with slight reduction on my T pace down to 155/100 yd from my previous 2:00 (really a slug in the water and always feel beat after a workout). had an Accelerade and Gu after workout. showered off and prepped for bike

Bike: rode pretty steady with benefit of new PM. felt pretty good about ride. Maybe a bit high on Power at 176 avg. but felt good 66m. Drank a bottle of Accelerade and 32 oz Gatorade on ride, 2 Gu, 1 cliff protein bar. Hot when I got back at noon though and prepped for run. 

Run, drank 16 oz water getting ready, 1 Gu. Set of feeling pretty good at my steady to easy pace- although didn't feel easy. Felt I didn't get enough fluid on run- just stopped where I could for water- 2 stops on course but was really thirsty ea. time- not a good sign. Pace definitely dropped down second 30min. Ended up at 9:47pace, 7m and couldn't have gone much further. 

Recovered pretty well after, did an Endurox 4 recovery drink right after- wolfed it down- need something bad. 

Recap: probably was a bit tired overall going in. Maybe a bit too strong on bike, definitely not enough fluid on run. Been hearing salt tablets mentioned (Chris here again) could use some advice here?? maybe earlier like on bike. Also thinking I might want to switch over to this Preform as I hear this is the drink on the course. Bottom line I could have eeked out a half yesterday but no way in hell a full without more fitness and a bunch more smarts.

Thanks for helpful stuff all, now I just need to start better adhering it seems.

Joe

• Options
    Joe, check out the wiki (I'll look for the link when I get a few extra minutes) on Race Day Nutrition re: Salt Intake...you will be SHOCKED at how much we need and can handle. I used to supplement with about 300-400 mg then bumped up to over 1000 and saw improvements immediately.

other thoughts...don't worry about 'nothing to compare it to' with your new PM. You reap immediate rewards with it because you know where your limits are at THIS POINT. So, training/racing with that info (percentages) gives you an instant weapon that many other racers won't have.

also...milk pre-workout? you guys that can do that are brave souls! I'd be changing shorts in no time image
  • Options
    Chris, Thansk for the advice on salt tabs. Do you jsut use these on race day training or also in longer workout blocks? If so, what lenght workout consitutes using salt in your opinion? Thanks Joe
  • Options
    Joe,

I've started using more salt even on workout days. Usually, just the longer workouts....the long runs and the Sat/Sun stuff.

I'm not quite as anal about it during training as I am for Race Rehearsals and Race Day. Usually add 2-3 salt tabs per hour cuz I have found that my performance benefits from it. Better workouts -> better macro training -> better racing. I try to get 750-1000 mg per hour on bigger days/efforts. Just add up your sports drink/gel/salt tab or endurolyte. Tho, SaltTabs give much more sodium (and other electrolytes) per pop than Endurolytes.

Long hot/humid days in summer around here and if I want to stay sharp for 2-5 hour days then I should use what I've learned in the past. And that is....more sodium.

Shorter workouts...not that big o' deal.