Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT Week 6/10- 6/16 "Big Training Day"

So how is everyones training going?  Everyone have their plans in place for the big training day this weekend?  What do you have planned?  

I'm actually thinking about doing mine on Friday and taking that day off from work.  My folks will be in from out of town and my pool doesn't open up on the weekend until 9am on Sat and Noon on Sun.  So I am thinking about doing the big day on Friday so that I can get AIP (ass in pool) by  6am and get the whole thing done earlier.

Comments

• Options
    I am the opposite, I seem to be a day behind. I did RR #2 yesterday and used today as a rest day. I am not sure what I will do tomorrow, but plan to ride Weds and run Thurs. I may do a long open water swim Saturday and then ride and run Sunday.
  • Options
    I'm racing IMMT 70.3 on 6/23 , I'll call that my "Big Training Day."
  • Options
    That's a perfect "Big Training Day" Tim! Can't wait to hear all about it.
  • Options
    Tim - I am also racing IMMT 70.3. I look forward to meeting you.
  • Options
    Tim is a racing machine! And since he doesn't weigh anything, I am guessing he doesn't take the pounding the rest of us do, so he probably recovers quickly. I just completed a major IM block. Last 3 weeks totalled 24 hrs, 20 hrs, and 23.68 hrs. So I took off Monday and intend to dial the volume down this week while still getting in a few key workouts. By big day will be something like 80 mile bike plus 5 mile brick run. Rest, then swim. The pool doesn't open until 10am which is too late to do that first. For Father's Day, I am going to sleep in until I can no longer stand being in bed. Then it's time for another 3 week block from hell.
  • Options
    @William... cya at IMMT 70.3 , are you doing the lunch? sure hope the water warms us in a week LOL.

@Paul.....wholly volume batman??? I could not recover from that volume... For IMTX my peak weeks were 18:59 , 16:43 , 15:35 , 15:17, all other weeks were between 10-15hrs for the 18 weeks pre Texas...
  • Options
    @ Tim - my weekly volume includes 90mins to 2 hrs of core/wts. I stopped doing that for a couple of years and have been feeling the effects so I am back in the gym. I had a good start because of Memorial Day weekend and slamming 300 miles biking into a 5 day stretch. I wish I could do as well as you on lower volume, but I don't have that kind of talent. In fact, the only talent I do have is to take a beating and absorb the workload. But I am going to be careful with the recovery. When I did IMRG in 2011, I was over tired and did not have the race I wanted. That is the only one I have felt overtrained for. I am also trying to fill the 2 month running void from the ruptured plantar fascia I had early in the spring. So for Sweden, I am going (3 wks hard and 1 easy) x 3. With that base, I will take 3 weeks easy afterwards and then rebuild for Cozumel on (2 wks hard and 1 easy) x 4 to increase the recovery. I doubled in 2010 (IMCDA and IMAZ) and consider IMAZ to be my best performance even though it is my 2nd best time (within 3 mins of my IMFL best).
  • Options
    @Paul.... You looked pretty talented to me when you went by me on the run in Cozumel!!!.... I know you been at this a long time and tweaking things as you go to what works for you... Great to see you have a solid plan... I did one high volume BBW last year 28hrs and absorbed that ok but I had to pull way back on intensity ... I'm planning a high volume tri week 7/13-7/21 on the way to IMMT but it will be very low intensity... But for the most part on my training for IMMT I will be using what I did for IMTX , 3-4 swims , 5 runs, 3 bikes per week, ZERO days off (2 are swim only) and paying very close attention to how I am recovering.... Awesome to have you in the Tremblant Group and look forward to virtual training and following Sweden!
  • Options
    @Tim - yes, I will be at the lunch. I agree re the water. At least it will keep the core temperature down. LOL.
  • Options
    @William ... I'm a freeze baby... need some heat!!! Swam OWS 3 times last weekend in NH , 64-65 degree water, this rain isnt helping but we have some warmth headed our way... I imaging it will be high mid to high 60's at IMMT very soon. FWIW I think the water was warmer up there last year than in NH.. The lake is shallower... Not much activity on the 70.3 board but looks like a great group here!
  • Options

My big training day, conveniently, is the Patriot Half on Saturday. I couldn't have scheduled it better myself!

I'm pretty undertrained right now. I'm not expecting a tremendous result. The following week I go to London for a 9 day family vacation, so that won't do my training any good whatsoever. I plan to work in some runs that week, but it is definitely sub-optimal. 

On the happy side -- I lost 5lbs somehow in the last month and I don't know where they went! Seriously -- haven't weighed in a month. Have been doing plenty of naughty snacking (I really love dry Life Cereal). I may have done 50% of my workouts. And yet - blam! Steady measured 190lbs for the past 2 days. It wasn't a one-day error. Woohoo! THAT is the kinda motivation I need!!!!!! 170 here I come. 

Eventually. 

• Options
    @Tim - I am glad it is just the HIM as I am slow in the water. I have not had an OWS yet. Hopefully Saturday. I agree it seems like we have a great group here!
  • Options
    Well poo- the weather is really messing with my plans for the Big Tri Day. I think I'm going to have to move it to next week. Have a lot of fun with it this weekend everyone- especially those racing at IMMT- I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.
  • Options
    IMMT peeps... Were a little over 9 weeks out... Its time to get fired up , post your workouts in the weekly threads , hold yourself accountable for the next 9 weeks!

I just started to hit some volume and real intensity this week as I complete my recovery from IMTX.... Since I'm racing IMMT 70.3 next weekend I wont be doing too much this week but plan to build quickly afterwards for 6 weeks and then taper...

Swim only day today... 500yd swim , 30 x 50yd alternate fast/slow, 500 yds w/PB, 500 yd with fins.......Love that Garmin 910xt ...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/327583350

Its also a good time to do a Body Accountability check... see where your at , what is your goal... 9 weeks is time to lose that last couple pounds(but not too much) to increase your w/kg ratio... I'm back up to 122 since racing IMTX at 118.... I will race IMMT at 120lb or less... Put it out there and make it happen!

Trains smart, make the right choices, and get fired up!

Tomorrow 1/2 to 1 mile OWS , 2
  • Options
    Thanks for the pep talk Tim! I've managed to work things out so I can do the Big Tri Day tomorrow after all (whew!). The logistics are a little complicated, but it should be fun and I've managed to find friends to join me for bits an pieces of most of it.

6:00am 2 girlfriends meeting me at my house
    AOD (ass on deck) by 6:15am to swim (yes- I live on the water- but it's not always the best place to swim)
    AOB (ass on bike) by 7:30 with Peep #1 for first hour of riding (the other peep gets bfast and takes a break)
    8:30 drop off Peep #1
    9:30 pick up Peep #2 for the next 2 hours of riding
    11:30 Run/Walk (I'll explain the walk part in next weeks thread)
    12:30 done, rest, relax, EAT, and spend time with my parents who are visiting from out of town.
  • Options
    14 mile run in D.C. this morning. It was 65 with a light rain. I couldn't pass up that weather. Flew back to Tampa this afternoon. We won't see temperatures in the 60s until late October. Not the best workout the day before a big day, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
  • Options
    Paul- I get that. Around here, the weather changes so quickly that you just gotta go with the flow.

I had a great Big Tri day today. The swim was a little short- but it was really choppy out there and one of my gals gets seasick. But the bike felt good (even though that last hour into the wind was tough) and I was comfy on my walk/run. I learned a few things I need to work on:

- My handlebars are squeaking and while that squeak is mildly annoying for 1-3 hours, it's absolutely aggravating at 4 hours. That's gotta get fixed ASAP
    - I was trying out Bonk Breakers for the first hour of nutrition on the bike. Nope, don't like them and find them too hard to chew and choke down. Good news? Apparently they don't have Bonk Breakers at IMMT anyway (although that's what is at all the US based IMs). So I guess it's not a huge loss. Need to find something else solid to eat in that first hour or so of the bike that will go down easy
    - I need to think about carrying hydration on the run because the time between aid stations may be longer than I'm used to. And here's where I have to confess what is going on with me and the run.

Earlier this summer, I fell on a trail run and tore my right meniscus. I didn't know it was torn right away- that took a little over 9 weeks to figure out. The tear is in an area that doesn't get blood flow so the tear won't fix itself and requires surgery. Doc says I won't hurt it more by running on it (in the short term) and if I can manage the pain I can put of surgery until after IMMT. Soooo, I'm planning to Swim/Bike/Walk IMMT. I'm working on trying to make that a run/walk (1 minute running at a time) so the marathon isn't incredibly boring and frustrating. So far so good. Lots of Ice and Naproxin on a daily basis seems to keep the pain and swelling to a minimum and allows me to continue bike/swim workouts.
  • Options
    @Nemo.. bummer to hear about your pending surgery.. for now you sound ok and its manageable... I like eating Bonk Bars but not training or racing... I race with the Clif Bar Toffee Peanut Buzz (small amound of caffeine) cut into 60 calorie pieces that I wrap in rice paper and put in my feed box , after I go thru those its onto margarita shot blocks mixed with black cherry ones ( one to one) wrapped in the same rice paper..... 60 calories every 30 minutes thru out the bike and I never deal with a wrapper! Glad the RR went well ... Did everyone show up for there appropriate sections?

Did a mini big training day being only 8 days out from IMMT 70.3... Started with a .6 mile OWS , 56 mile bike @ .83 , 3 mile brick run...
  • Options
    At Nemo - I am very sorry about your knee. I hope you can find enjoyment in the challenge and then hope you have a successful repair.

Today - 82 miles biking in the primordial soup that was Tampa this morning. It was about 80 degrees and 93% humidity when I started. I rode easy for 30 mins with IF at .68. I figured the IM portion should be between .70 and .75. Please let me know what you guys target. By 67 mins I was already at .75 so figured I was going over IM pace to bring the average up so quickly. I tried to dial it back a little but hit 3 hours at .794. Then I eased up but it didn't feel easy because the heat and humidity were a real challenge. I finished the ride at .772 overall.

Got home and worked on rehydrating. Ate lunch and took a nap then hit the pool for the assigned 2700 yards. I added 100 to the warm up and 100 to the cool down since RnP can't add. image. Had a major hamstring cramp at 2000 yards but was able to finish. Only one thing to do if I was going to run any. Yes, Bad Dog, drink the pickle juice! Eight ounces to be exact. That stuff is nasty but shuts down cramping. By now the heat index was 102, so it was time to run. I jogged 3 miles then pulled the plug having convinced myself that I gave at the office with a 14 mile run yesterday.

Quick change, and off to the movies and dinner out with my wife and daughter to maintain my spouse approval units.
  • Options
    @Paul... Wow nice day after that 14mile run... For an IM RR I target .75 .... In training I have been doing a lot of the Race Pace Plus and really like that... Most of my IM rides usually come in around .73 though... Don't know how you went out to the movies and dinner after that ?
  • Options

@Tim- Rice Paper= Genius!  I need to check into that.  I like Cliff Shots (esp Margarita) and Cliff Bars- although the bars tend to feel like to much "work" chewing them when I'm on the bike.  Maybe if I cut them down to smaller sizes it would be better.  Thanks for the ideas.

@Paul- OUCH!  I guess if there is a heat wave in Canada you'll be the only one of us super ready to deal with it!  I'm having a hard time dialing back the IF right now as well but I think that's because my FTP might actually be a little higher than it is currently set.  We have a test week coming up so that should help to start dialing things back in.  WRT target IF for the IM, some of that depends on how long you are going to be on the bike. 

• Options
    @Nemo - I think you and @Paul can share the OUCH! Very sorry to hear about your injury.

Yesterday was my first OWS of the year. During the first one of the year, it always takes me a quarter mile to figure out how to breathe again and then the rest is steady and slow. This year was no different. I am glad I got it out of the way before HIMMT next week. Today I hope the weather holds off long enough for me to get in a last 2:30 ride and 30 min run before dialing it back and travelling to MT.
  • Options
    Well, my rest day did not go quite as planned. I swam 2200 yards, biked 22 miles with one of my sons (his idea), then ran 3.84 miles just to bring my week total to 35 miles. Not a heavy day, but not sitting on my butt either. Still, it was a fairly light week and I am ready to PUMP UP THE VOLUME for the next three weeks.
  • Options
    I did pretty good for the rest day. Except I didn't sleep in. I got up at 4:30am to set up an obstacle on the beach for the "Storm the Beach" team obstacle course. Setting up a maze out of crab traps at 5:00am without a map or coffee was interesting! But I think we did a decent job. Otherwise just chilled around the house with my parents and took a walk with my mom later in the day along the beach. Probably spent too much time on the uneven surface of the sand though- so I'm gonna skip that "optional" Monday run.
  • Options
    Swim today, still have to do it, 3x100 several times. What does "descends" mean in Terence to the 3x100 ?
  • Options
    Posted By Glenn Robertson on 17 Jun 2013 01:56 PM

Swim today, still have to do it, 3x100 several times. What does "descends" mean in Terence to the 3x100 ?

It means you get faster each 100.  You "descend" the time it takes to do the 100.  So the first 100 is easy, 2nd 100 is a little faster, third 100 is as fast as you can.

I personally take a little extra time between each of those sets.  Going from the 100 sprint strait into the next "easy" 100 blows me up if I'm getting less than 30" rest.