Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Long runs

Due to the hot weather my longest run so far has been just over 13 miles.  Is that enough?  It seems so little.  However according to my training plan my volume is supposed to go down this week, not up.  I'm a bit worried.  Should I ignore my plan and do a 15 mile run or something?  Or just stick with the time frames as I have been doing.   (The last time I did a marathon I did a 19 mile run beforehand!)

Comments

• Options
    Stick with the plan. Go by the prescribed "time" and let the mileage fall where it may. An extra 15 or 30 mins isn't going to be the deciding factor on whether or not you are prepared to finish an Ironman anyways. Your mind and your will is what willl get you there in the last 13 miles on race day, especially when you layer that on top of the fitness you have built and the Execution Sills you have learned.
  • Options

Leslie,

I second sticking to the perscribed time.  We have the second RR this Saturday and a ton of cumulative fatigue built up.  As JW mentioned an extra 15-30 minutes will not make a huge differece on race day.

For the record my longest run is around 13 miles as well.  I only plan on doing 105 minutes this Thursday to ensure that I don't compromise the second RR.  I know that the legs will start to hurt at mile 14-16 but that's IM. 

Execue good bike pacing and the run will fall in to place.  It won't be easy but you will get it done.  Just be prepared to have many conversations with youself to keep going and have that one thing to push through if needed.

For extra peace of mind.  Prior to EN, in 2004 my longest run was 6-7 miles due to injury and I finished.  I did have to walk a bunch but got it done. 

Gordon

• Options
    Thank you both.  You've given me peace of mind.  My gut said "follow the plan"  in Coach R's voice of course!  But...it's hard not to begin to worry.  Having run one marathon before I know about the little voice that enters the head late in the run and says "why are you doing this...just walk, or better yet, flag down a vehicle and forget the whole stupid thing!"  But, fighting that voice is the game, right?  Thanks again.  See you both soon!
  • Options
    Leslie, Both Josie and I had a similar conversation last week during out long run. "How are we going to complete a marathon after two or three 13 to 14 mile runs?" Well, my thought is (since i have never done one) that an IM Marathon is not the same as a stand alone marathon. Time/pace for an IM is about not slowing down. Staying consistent is key. Run at a pace that you can keep for ever... for me that is a 10:30 to 11:00 pace. Just keep feeding me, then i can keep running.

BTW, i have the same concerns but i understand the reasoning, justification, and the numbers around the logic.
  • Options
    Stick to the Plan.
    Maybe, the best thing is how do you feel? If you have run a little less than the time on the plan, but you feel good, and can keep yourself injury free than everything is going to fall into place.
    My 2 cents, is not to worry about the volume (# of miles), and stick to the plan.
  • Options
    Yup stick to the plan. My longest run prior to IMFL was 13 mi and I lived to finish it. image plus u had no intention of running all 26.2 so 13 was good enough to prep for the percentage of the race I actually ran. I'm sure you'll be fine. Can't wait to hear about it!!