Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

IMWI BIKE COURSE RECONNAISSANCE RIDE

I rode the IMWI bike course on June 26, 2013.  I used both my Garmin 910 and ran MapMyRide on my Iphone (in the leg pocket of my Desoto 400 mile shorts) since the course is hard to navigate without race day road markers.  I averaged 14 MPH, but that included a least a dozen stops to check my bearings, take photos, and a couple of short wrong turns and backtracking.  It was a very scenic and enjoyable ride, probably because I kept my power down.  I am now 100% convinced that if I blow my target power range on race day and spike the watts, I will wreck the last part of my bike and my run!

I drove the IMWI course in my car (took notes) and then road the course on my bike, only doing one “loop.”   My impression when driving the course is that it is very hilly, very curvy, and would be difficult for me to ride.   However, during my actual ride, the hills were much more manageable, understanding that I used all of the gears and going 8 MPH up a hill was not unusual.  I enjoyed the ride and the scenery.  I have a compact crank and a 11-28 cassette – and needed it.

Turns.  The IMWI website lists 70 turns for the directions, but since there are two loops, you have to add about another 30 turns, for a total of about 100 turns.   Those 100 turns don’t include 90 degree “bends” in the road, so there are actually even more “turns,” you just don’t change roads.    I always hear that IMWI bike course is “technical.”    Now that I have ridden it, I think “technical” means that there are a lot of turns and a lot of gear changes, but it doesn’t mean “hard” unless you bonk yourself by going out faster than you can sustain.

Hills.  These aren’t mountains, they are hills.  When I drove the course, the hills seemed steeper than when I was on the bike.  However, it is a rolling course and the hills just keep coming.  I used every gear, and 8 MPH going up a few of the hills was not unusual for me.  Old Sauk Pass and Timber Lane are both good climbs, and I was in my lowest gear.   MapMyRide show that I completed 3 sub-routes that are rated as hill climbs (each listed in MapMyRide as a “Category 5” climb):  (1) a 1.04 mile climb with 108 feet of gain with a 2% grade; (2) a .43 mile climb with 82 feet of gain with a 3.6% grade; and (3) a 1.80 mile climb with 180 feet of gain with a 1.9% grade.    MapMyRide shows that about 40 people have completed the same sub-routes and my time for each was slightly faster than middle of the pack.  It is interesting to compare the times of other riders on the same sub-routes, and the times posted by the riders for each sub-route for the most part vary by only a few seconds (i.e, on the long hill, the “fast” people average around 13 miles per hour and the “MOP” people average 12 miles per hour).   I tried to follow the EN method of climbing hills at IMWI by closely watching my powermeter and trying to keep the power under control, and then pedaling downhill until I hit 32 MPH (and then coasting).  The EN course talk on IMWI is excellent and I thought it was spot on.

Course Condition.  I found the course roads to be in good condition, suitable for an IM race, other than 2 miles of road that was badly deteriorated and in need of repair. 

The Stick.  The first 15 or so miles of the course is the “stick” which leads out to a 40 mile loop that is repeated twice during the race.  Miles 1-5 of the stick are in town and relatively flat.  Miles 5-10 feature some easy rollers, single lane roads, and no or very small shoulders.  Miles 10-15 has rollers with one major hill.  Nothing about the stick seemed very difficult. 

The Loop.  I was expecting more roads with shoulders, but you don’t really see many of those other than about a 5 mile stretch of Highway 92 leading into Mt. Horeb.  Most of the roads are what I would call “small country lanes” with no shoulders, but also not much car traffic.  Mile 15-20 has some very nice roads to ride and then some “major” hills.   Some of the descents on the Loop are very fast.    There is a ½ mile climb approaching mile 30.  Miles 30-35 (and 70-75 during the IM) are full of up and down rollers.   Witte Road and Garfoot Road are roller coasters.   Garfoot Road after mile 35 has a very fast decent and I had to brake (and I would brake on race day).   In fact, since I was unsure of the course and whether there would be loose gravel, I braked on a couple of the descents.  I hit 40 MPH on a couple of descents, and would have been going faster without braking.   I am definitely not a skilled enough or brave enough rider to ride this course without braking on 2-3 of the descents.

Racing this Bike Course.   Knowledge of this course is important if you want to go fast, especially the length of the hills and the speed of the descents.    If I wanted to race this bike course faster, I would practice the course some more and/or attend the EN IMWI bike camp.   Some more practice on this course would give me the confidence on a couple of the descents to “let her fly” a bit more.   Make sure your shifting is smooth and your gears are tuned – practice shifting from the big ring to the little ring -- a lot.

Comments

• Options
    Thx for taking the time to do this, Robert.

Were there many descents that you had to basically stop, or lose all momentum, before a turn at the bottom of the hill? Keeping mo is huge on these types of courses.

Thx again!
  • Options
    There are two segments on Garfoot separated by a very short bit. It's the second one that's dangerous in two spots. First, there's a sharpish right on the descent where you can run into not making the turn and going into some guy's driveway (crossing the traffic road). It doesn't look that bad, but we mediocre bike handlers need to be careful. The second spot is at the bottom of that hill where there is a sharp left. Neither looks (or really is) too awful, but they do require care.

I've seen ambulances at both of these spots on the same day during practice rides - one of them again on a second day.

Remember that the fastest route from point a to point b on a bike is rubber side down. :-)
  • Options
    @Chris. The comments by Williams Jenks match my observations, especially that sharp left at the bottom of the hill. However, it was pretty easy to see that sharp turn coming if you are looking down the road and planning ahead. When I got close to 35 MPH on the hill William Jenks references and I was still gaining speed rapidly, my brain said "brake now you fool or you won't make that turn." I only had to brake 2-3 times going downhill on the entire course. Many of the rollers are the type that are in a straight line and you can see them coming, so pedaling downhill and carrying that momentum up the next hill as far as possible was my goal. Most of the hills around my house have 30 MPH descents at the max, so 35-40 took me some getting used to.
  • Options
    There's one other spot - I'll check the road name next time I'm out there - it's in between the three big hills - the word SLOW is painted at the top of the hill. It's deceptive but it's a sharp tight left at the bottom of the hill. There's usually some gravel, and the owner of the property has actually put hay bales out by his driveway in the past (for those that have not heeded the SLOW recommendation). Me, I'm just slow so it's all good.
  • Options

Great report and notes. Now you know why we consider IMWI to be the most challenging IM bike course in the US, as it's constantly forcing you to make decisions. 

At least three sketchy, gotta be careful turns on the course:

• 2nd half of Garfoot, right turn -- this is the one that Dr WJ described. Doode puts haybales in his front yard and I had to used his driveway as an escape ramp in '02 when I came up to preview to the course, riding it in pouring rain
    • A bit farther down the same road, another right turn -- can be gravel in the apex of the turn. After this turn, you'd done with the technical bit
    • Hard left, bottom of Timberlane -- Timberlane is a straight road, with one short hill of about .2mi @ 9%. After a bit you start bombing down the road and will probably get north of 40mph. Road then makes a sharp left. You can see the left coming for a long while so you can't miss it. Trees on the left side of the corner so you can't see around it for oncoming traffic and I believe there is no yellow divider line so the tendency is to drift far to the left side of the road. However, if you take this corner at speed you can pop the watts a bit to pop over the next rise and keep that speed rolling...or just take the corner safely. 

TONS and TONS of little tricks out there where you can find seconds that add up to minutes if you know the course very well. It's a blast to ride, especially on a training ride on a road bike 

• Options
    Great writeup Robert! You did yourself a big favor by previewing the course since, as you saw, it has many places where you can economize effort **if** you know what is coming next. Like you, I rode my brakes hard the first couple times I rode the course and realized how much momentum I lost that could have carried me into and over that next roller. In short, I hope everyone reading makes plans to attend the Madison Rally and/or gets to the course because you will definitely see a ROI in even just one preview ride by knowing what is coming next. I think the ROI gained is even higher for MOP and BOP people like me.

Here is a useful old link showing the whole IMWI Bike Course, driven by car (at accelerated speed) and narrated. You get the whole bike course on here. It is a good complement to the EN Coaches' IMWI course preview video

http://simplystu.com/simply_stu_44_ironman_wisconsin_bike_preview_video

The three hills Coach Rich mentions are at these times on this video:
    (a) First Right on Garfoot downhill is at 17:59
    (b) Second hard right on Garfoot downhill is at 18:15
    (c) That 90 degree left at bottom of Timberlane is at 24:34 (note how if you can conserve some speed here it would carry you right over the next rollers.. I typically brake too hard here then waste effort on the roller.. This is a perfect example of how knowing the course well can get you "free speed" and save effort

Congrats on your recon Robert and thanks for writing it up!! I'll be out there cheering for you in September!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the recon, Robert!

Thanks for the video link, Bill!

I know it is hard to get a feel for the course based on a sped-up car video, but that didn't looks too horrible. I keep having flash backs to the climbs at IM-CdA (the old course) and that nasty-nasty climb at IM-StG that showed up after a few hours of a 2-percent grade on rough chip-seal. This seems like a lot more fun.

I'm sure the EN-Rally in a few weeks will serve as a wake-up call, but as of now: I'm feeling better.

What am I missing?!

- dhj

• Options
    @Dan. My take on the course is that no one section is all that difficult, but when you string together a bunch of hills and turns, the difficulty becomes cumulative. If you just had to do 25 miles of the course, you would hammer it. The next 25 miles takes a bit more out of you and so on. I think that is why Rich's mantra is stay within your plan, don't spike the watts, and execute. I did a comparison of 8 guys who did the Liberty HIM last year in Minnesota in June and then did IMWI in September. I did Liberty this year and it is a fairly hilly 56 mile course. 6 of the 8 guys had HIM times under 6 hours (3 under 5:30). For these 8 guys -- Liberty Bike Avg. = 19.7 MPH. IMWI Bike Avg. = 17.16 MPH. The total time multiplier for these 8 guys was 2.37 -- meaning a 6 hour HIM equated to 14.22 hours at IMWI. Several went from excellent HIM runs to obviously walking IMWI. I don't know why so many of them "blew up" on IMWI, but these numbers convinced me that the IMWI bike course can ruin your day if you don't respect it.
  • Options

Posted By Robert Hensley on 29 Jun 2013 11:59 PM

Several went from excellent HIM runs to obviously walking IMWI. I don't know why so many of them "blew up" on IMWI, but these numbers convinced me that the IMWI bike course can ruin your day if you don't respect it.
    Very, very true.  In fact, I resemble that remark.  I raced IMWI during my "Pre-EN" days and rode the course too hard;  resulting in a walk/jog the last 12 miles of the run.

• Options

Posted By Robert Hensley on 29 Jun 2013 11:59 PM

... the IMWI bike course can ruin your day if you don't respect it.
    No doubt! The ride is all about 'flattening' out those hills so there can success on the run. I just kept having this visions in my head of some vicious climbs. The ones in the video --and in Robert's description-- seem more reasonable.... seem...
  • Options
    Update on Course Condition-

I road the loop twice today in absolutely perfect weather. Here are notes on the road conditions from what I can remember.
    -Sugar River road is super sketchy right now. There is gravel/sand/rocks all over the place. Some small potholes on the right side of the road in the shadows which makes it harder to see. It looked like there were markings on the road for segments that might be repaved....one can only hope
    -At the end of Marsh View rd (just before cty G) there was sand/gravel crossing the entire road. easily passable probably no more than 3-4 feet in length, it is on a downhill so mind your speed so as not to spin out.
    -Stage coach rd is as bad as I remember it from several years ago. guaranteed to loosen any bolts on your bike that are not tightened properly
    -Old sauk pass was recently pea-gravelled. The signs are still up indicating loose gravel. Going uphill didn't seem to have much impact, some small areas where i could feel the gravel hadn't quite stuck, mostly it was fine now, and will be even better later in summer.
    -left turn at start of midtown climb had stones/gravel across intersection.
    -no haybales on the sketchy turns on garfoot that rich mentioned above...check your speed, it is really easy to get going fast

most everything else seemed just fine. 92 is amazingly smooth.

ride safely.
  • Options
    Super stoked for the EN camp the first week of august to get on the course for the first time! From everything I'm reading I'm so glad I signed up.
  • Options
    Jason - I did the EN camp last year and it was really, really helpful.  Got to meet many ENers in person & learned both the bike & run courses inside out.  Lots of good. tips from Rich.  I'm going back again this year.  See you there.
  • Options
    Sweet, thanks Bruce! Is there anything you wish you would of known going into it, maybe something to bring, like a notepad, tape recorder, something special? I'm probably just so excited, but I wanna make sure I get the most out of it and thought maybe someone that had been in the past could throw in their 2 cents.
  • Options
    Printout several copies of the course map from the IMWI website.  Review the map prior to coming to the camp, learn the names of the roads, mark on the map where the hills are, where the nasty (curvy) descents are.  Rich will talk about the different roads and it helps to know which ones he is referring too. suggest making all your notes on the map. 
  • Options

Thank you for your recon notes!

I too just reconned the race course this weekend as part of the WiBA (Wisconsin Brick Adventure) to see if I *really* want to sign up for 2014 as well as to support my friend who is attempting IMWI for a 2nd time after DNFing in 2011 due to being pulled from the bike.

In reality the hills alone, singularly, are really not terribly daunting. It is the hill after hill after turn after roller after hill after turn after knat attack after turn after cow pie after turn after roller that I see could [absolutely will] wear away at me.

I only did 1 loop of the course , and found the course to be pretty well marked (orange arrows from another training group that trains there regularly) and that combined with the cue sheets that I had with hills marked, made for a really good training day at touring speed.

Even with all of this I still found myself always wondering what was over the next stretch of ondulating road. So glad that I got a preview! If you are on the fence about the EN Camp... SIGN UP! And if you cannot make it work, try to get out there if possible and preview a loop of the course for yourself so you know what that course will mean for you.

I see right away in my own experience, as well as confirmed in the above comments that I need to work on 2 things:

1) confidence in down hill speeds -at one point was going 25+ MPH with rear brake darn near fully engaged, 40+ MPH was not out of the ordinary on other decents... with the cost of 6-8MPH up hills of course!

2) SHIFTING NON STOP [without dropping the chain or jamming my gears].

My goodness, I swear that I was never in 1 gear longer than a few meters in some areas. Huge contrast to my 2012 IM in FL. I am not used to working chain-rings so much (never have used the small ring on this bike before) and on the first not-even-hill dropped my chain. I see personal growth here already as prior to EN I would have just powered my way through the hills (Me strong! Me have quads! Me go KABOOM!) This weekend I just spun up them the best that I could.

I am so excited to be cheering you all on in September!

• Options

Posted By Jenniferlyn Kryvicky on 15 Jul 2013 11:03 AM

In reality the hills alone, singularly, are really not terribly daunting. It is the hill after hill after turn after roller after hill after turn after knat attack after turn after cow pie after turn after roller that I see could [absolutely will] wear away at me. <<< THIS!!!</span>

Even with all of this I still found myself always wondering what was over the next stretch of ondulating road. So glad that I got a preview! If you are on the fence about the EN Camp... SIGN UP! And if you cannot make it work, try to get out there if possible and preview a loop of the course for yourself so you know what that course will mean for you. <<<THIS!! There is sooooo much free speed to be had on the course just by knowing the flow of the course.</span>

I see right away in my own experience, as well as confirmed in the above comments that I need to work on 2 things:

1) confidence in down hill speeds -at one point was going 25+ MPH with rear brake darn near fully engaged, 40+ MPH was not out of the ordinary on other decents... with the cost of 6-8MPH up hills of course!

2) SHIFTING NON STOP [without dropping the chain or jamming my gears]. K-Edge chain catcher. Get it!

My goodness, I swear that I was never in 1 gear longer than a few meters in some areas. Huge contrast to my 2012 IM in FL. I am not used to working chain-rings so much (never have used the small ring on this bike before) and on the first not-even-hill dropped my chain. I see personal growth here already as prior to EN I would have just powered my way through the hills (Me strong! Me have quads! Me go KABOOM!) This weekend I just spun up them the best that I could.

I am so excited to be cheering you all on in September!

• Options
    I also just attend the Wisconsin Brick Adventure weekend just as a training opportunity-lord knows Ive done the IMWI bike course enough times I could do it in my sleep-and for any EN'ers that are still on the fence about attending your camp-EN does such an amazing job not only reviewing the course but teaching you how to ride it properly-it's well worth the money. Other camps show you the course, but Rich actually tells you the smart moves to make out on that course. Cant wait for August image