Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Madison Open Water Swim Saturday 8/18

Madison Open Water Swim - 1.2 and 2.4 mile options (2 loop course) in Lake Monona:  https://www.clubassistant.com/club/...;smid=3728

Registration closes Monday morning at 8:00 am!

Anyone doing this?  It's not quite the timing for the race rehearsal but is definitely a great opportunity to swim and then ride the course.  I'm in.

Comments

• Options

I'm in, too.  Looking at it as a RR-lite/mini-RR/whatever.  Planning on stick-loop-stick after the swim and then hopefully an easy 5k on the first part of the run course.  Where is a good place to park that serves as a good transition point?  Looking forward to seeing the course(s) again!

• Options
    I'm in...planning on riding the loops afterwards. See you up there!
  • Options
    I'm for 2.4 miles, bike after (probably stick-loop-stick) and run after. Where should we all meet?
  • Options
    CORRECT LINK: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1259&smid=4675

CORRECT DATE is Saturday, 8/17 - registration closes Tuesday at 5:00 pm cdt

Yes to stick, loop, stick and run afterwards - meet by bleachers at 8:00? 7:45?

Park at Monona Terrace - you can use your car as T1 and T2 (you just won't be able to use the helix for access to the ramp on your bike or from the swim)
  • Options

I will plan to park on the Terrace and was planning to use my car as the transition.  Meeting between 7:45-8:00 (after the warm-up) is fine with me.  I'll be meeting with some local tri club friends and possibly my parents as well.  I'm hoping to be on the bike by 10:30-10:45 - plan is to practice race pace and riding steady.  I think that will be somewhere in the 16-18mph range on average.

Question about the stick - I've only been on the portion of it closer to Verona - leaving downtown Madison, do you stick to the actual route during a training ride and go through the parking lots at Alliant?  Another option I thought of was just riding the Capitol City Trail down to Rimrock.  Seems easier than navigating bike path bridges, parking lots, access roads, etc.? 

Looking forward to meeting some of you at the swim!

• Options

Hi Dave - hope to see you in the am before the swim.  As far as riding the stick, I wouldn't bother with Alliant - just take the bike path along John Nolen to the Sheraton/Rimrock road.  Go Rimrock over the overpass and take a right (whatever that first street is) - you're on the stick.

Sue

• Options
    Sue amd Mary - nice to catch up before the swim! Dave - sorry to have missed you, hope you had a great swim and ride. Some speedy EN'er passed me in a bike jersey on the course, maybe it was you?

Enjoy the last couple of weeks!
  • Options
    Sue & Mary - thanks for letting me tag along with you on the stick. If I wasn't on such a tight schedule I would have liked to have rode with you more. Hope you had a good ride & run. (Mary - chain catcher ordered!)

Lori - sorry to have missed you. I was wearing an EN jersey, but you describe the person who passed you as "speedy" which I certainly am not!

Looking forward to connecting with and meeting you ladies again in a few short (long?) weeks.
  • Options
    Dave and Lori - great to meet you and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.  @Lori - yes, that probably was Dave on the bike course!  A few good take-aways from Saturday - better nutrition, need to keep swimming (hopefully bicep tendonitis calms down)h, swimming inside the buoys is my plan!