Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Week 18- so close!

Week 18... translation- one more ridiculously long ride (one more time my neighbor will drop her jaw when she asks "oh, where did you ride to today?"). I had a great swim and easy run yesterday after my decision to take Sunday off due to screaming legs. Then last night my right shin decided to let me know it is ready to taper. Ice ice ice! Playing it by ear as to whether I'll run today.

How's everyone's week going so far? Anyone planning on doing RR2 on the course this weekend? 

"Commitment is doing the things you said you'd do, long after the mood you said it in has left you."

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rachel!

I'm beginning to get a bit of the training blues...It has been a long 8 months since the January OS kicked off! Just get me to the taper in one piece!

Kevin
  • Options
    I feel ya Kevin! But what I have to remind myself of is anyone can pay the ridiculous registration fee and start training... a lot of people can even show up race day without training and struggle through and make it by 17 hrs. But what makes us special and makes this achievement something to be so proud of is that we do the work day in and day out- the 5am (or earlier) wake up calls, the runs/bikes in all weather, the lack of social life, etc. It is the sacrifice for months of training that make us an Ironman!
  • Options
    Yes - RR on the course.  Probably starting from the Terrace around 7:00 - Saturday looks warm so an early start is in order!  Really going to try to dial in the nutrition.  I had forgotten that the 2.4 mile swim (did Madison OWS last saturday) takes enough out of me so that by the time I was ready to head back on the stick I was somewhat "bonky." 
  • Options
    After 10 months of training, I just want to make it through the finish line in 13:59 and then have a cold beer.
  • Options
    Still suffering from Wobbly Leg Syndrome.

Feels like a bonk 20-30' into every run. Seriously. Backing off on the durations of the work intervals and the durations of the whole workout so that I can get a little work in and still be backing off to get some legs back for the first week of September.

Anyone else?
  • Options

I'm with you guys on fatigue and feeling Im just hanging on through this big week. A key to getting me through the muscle soreness is a 6" roller. Use it religiously every morning and night to address all the knots. Graduated up to a knobby style surface which digs in better.

Also doing weekly massages from here out.