Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 13 9/9-9/15

Come on Florida get fired up!

1.2 mile OWS, 75 min ride with 50 min FTP work , 4 mile easy brick all in the pouring rain except the swim!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Tim for keeping us rolling...

Monday AM swim went well -- too well -- several intervals at or under T-pace. I think there was a draft effect as my fastest interval (the 2nd 400) was at T-pace less 3" when I was 2nd in line.

Tuesday AM - Run was solid. HR was under control even in the heat/humidity. Had to hold back on the 800's to not run them faster than 5k pace.

Tuesday PM - Swim session was more work tonight. The long stroke/glide thought that worked the day before wasn't working tonight. Hit my paces (barely) but the RPE was up a notch for sure.
  • Options

I did PrairieMan half Iron last Saturday in Dallas.  temps were 100 by the time I ran so that was a sufferfest!!!  and I walked that half marathon... well I did attempt to run the first 3 miles but by mile 3 realized I was getting dehydrated!!  The race got off to a 20' late start which didn't help the heat factor either!!  However, it was great "training" and I went into it without a taper.. so my 7.5 hr finish was kinda like, okay.. "with walking the run, and no Taper, with ltd crowd support and #weeks left to go...hmm, I will finish IMFLA and hopefully be able to improve..".

hmmm,  don't know how to add in pics here... how have I done that before??!!! 

I have piriformis, sciatica on left side, sometimes IT band so my run training is not at Ironman standard training, but more like I run as long as I can with pain dictating that!  so I was excited to run 10' without paiin, walk 5', run 10' yesterday!  I do have experience in my favor and will walk in IMFLA> 

I haven't done a lot of races either this year so this was good Garmin tng, nutrition, transition timing too.. so all good!  bike worked well, I had good mental attitude and was completely relaxed pre race and the day before.  I knew what I was doing and felt confident in my abilities to race. 

I like to do Yoga, so thought this dismount photo was comical.  Note this is old school EN kit!  I don't have red kit.... anyways, as I was finishing run, a spectator said "hey, I used to be in EN for three years..."  I didn't get his name as I was hot and looking for the finish line!!

so I came home and honestly been recovering but about to go out and do a run and ride...haven't even checked into what we are "supposed" to be doing!!  but I will ride long on Fri or poss Saturday. 

• Options

to female hotel buddy!!  (shoot, I just forgot your name and info but it is 4 a.m!)).. I would love to room in with you in your condo!!!  Thanks so much.  should be way more fun anyways.  This is my 3rd time to do IMFLA and so familiar with the course and set up.  you can either email me at ironmarianne@gmail.com or call/text at 501 4540476 or even FB me so I know details. 

below pic:  road trip to Dallas half iron.  I have Road trip rules.. one of them is to buy cheesy convenience store item.. this time?  it was sunglasses!  ha!  Hey I will be driving down from Little Rock... so 111/4 hr road trip.. who knows what I will buy!  so I like to have good clean fun and go to bed early, don't eat weird, will go to race dinner and generally love the Ironman scene, this being my 10th, well 11th if we count the DNF at UTAH??!!!  lol.  the important thing about Panama City, I know where the IHOPS are and the Walmart.  

• Options
    Hey guys and gals, I took off Sunday and Monday to drown my sorrows after my Sat HIM fail, but got back in the pool and running yesterday. Had a good FTP ride this morning (.94, and .96 respectively on the intervals) so I am back in the game and getting ready for a big weekend.

@Marianne - you bring up Garmin timing, which for me was an epic fail in the race. I'll post a separate thread seeking advice on that subject soon!
  • Options
    Wrapping up a business trip in the delightful Newark airport. I managed to get 90 min of running in with the z4 intervals along the water in Hoboken.
    I missed a swim session and a bike session but feel good about the work I got done.
    I get home late tonight and don't plan to try and make up the bike. Instead I'll just reload and hit the long run tomorrow in legs that are a little more fresh.
  • Options
    2hr z1 z2 run completed with an emergency bathroom pitstop in the middle. Another good reason to run withmin 15min of my house at all times...

Hit the pool for an hour at lunch. between drills and whatnot I covered 2400m.
  • Options
    @Marianne wow 100degrees ... sounds like you did no harm though! still far enough away too!

@Greg and Jimmy nice job juggling life stuff , fit in what ya can.

Yesterday... ran 9.11 miles on 9/11 with 3 x 1 FTP intervals , gotta be my favorite run done as 2 easy, 1 hard, 1 easy, 1 hard, 1 easy, 1 hard, 2 easy..... just leave the watch on 1 mile auto intervals and enjoy the long breaks , just make sure to do the work and make it count...

Today.... 90 min bike w/ 15min v02 work, 4 mile brick

gonna take an easy swim day tomorrow and Race Lobsterman OLY on Saturday... This will be my first race since the broken clavicle!
  • Options
    Took mon/tues off due life/work.....wed am had nice bike ....hammered the hills for 2 hrs @ .90.....then flew to London to be chief Sherpa ....wife & son are racing ITU short course world's......course is very nice .....basically all inside Hyde Park.....next 10 days will be my run focus.....today was nice 45 min tempo run...sat will be my long run....headed to Scotland on Mon....more running and some hiking....of course a stop @ a distillery is in order image

@mp sorry to hear about your run ailments

@ tc way lead the pack....I can't believe how quickly you recovered from your crash

@ ja my return flight has a 4 hr layover @ Newark so I may do same run as u ....any hints I should know
  • Options
    Jeff -sounds like a great trip. Not sure I would have any tips. I was running in Hoboken along the water. Very nice running path but it was a good $50 ride from the airport. Hope the gam races well!
    You too Tim.
  • Options
    Friday pool set done. I am taking the friday and saturday runs and putting them after the sunday ABP ride. Mostly because it takes me 3hrs of pedaling before I feel warmed up enough to actually run.

Good race tomorrow tim!
  • Options
    @Jimmy,

Like your plan to run after the Sunday ABP ride. I had a good Saturday run last week but suffered the end of my ride - related?!?

Thursday run was brutal. HR through the roof - low 70's but DP was very high 60's. Paces were a bit off and didn't get the last 20' MP session done (called it at 14'). I decided to do a sweat test and the results were not surprising to me...

Pre Run: 192.8

Post Run: 188

Liquid Oz during and post run: - 58 (3.6 lbs)

Total loss in 2 hours = 8.4 lbs
  • Options
    Wow Jeff. That is a truly impressive amount of sweating. Pretty sure there is a prize for that.
  • Options
    saturday 4hr interval ride in the books. hit the intervals at 6x20 @ 75 to 80%. Ended up with a massive VI of 1.1.
    Hopefully on tomorrow's ABP I can be more steady.
  • Options
    I updated Device Agent a while back and can no longer download into WKO+. Need to try and revert back so I can look at VI as I am sure it is too high.

Today's ride I dialed back the intervals more towards 75-77% (last week more towards 80%). Much cooler today (upper 50's to low 60's) so generally felt better. Getting a bit intimidated about how I am feeling coming off the bike as the thought of a marathon is beyond daunting. While I know I am not tapered etc., these rides are in the 210 TSS point range and expect to be in the 270 range for race day. I think the RR the weekend after next will be a real test and give me a better idea whether .68 IF is feasible.

ABP tomorrow with a run after...

PS - Tim is a stud - good work today at Lobsterman Oly - AG Win!!!

• Options
    @Jeff and Jimmy... dont worry about your total ride VI if your doing your longride RPP intervals....its going to be high because of the recovery inbetween no matter what....If you want you can look at the VI for each interval but the total VI doesnt matter until your Race Rehearsal ride!

@Jeff I had that same problem with WKO a long time ago and dont even use it anymore.... Garmin doesnt give VI but it can be calculated quickly enough by simply dividing your NP by AP = VI

If felt good to race yesterday and very happy with my results. With no taper and coming in the middle of some hard training it really felt forced. Was extremely wiped out all afternoon yesterday. Going to put my longride/longrun days on mon/tues this week after a 30min easy run day today.
  • Options
    Busy few days playing Sherpa in London....weather is wet and cool.....squeezed in long run yesterday with some z2 & z3 mixed in....nice ez run today....I'm also getting 6-8 mi of walking back/forth to race venue each day.....wife took 15/67 AG ....son was 25/287 AG ...... Both had excellent races under some trying conditions.....

Watched some Paratriathlon ....WOW they are both amazing and inspirational athletes....they do everything we do but with some major limitations....one arm swimming.....one leg cycling....etc.....I'll never complain about drills again....my son volunteered and was assigned to help a US athlete in transition...turns out this guy won IMKona last year and will return this yr....I was captivated by the equipment they use.....Aero wheels.....carbon/titanium stuff.....etc....

@ tc - congrats on your race
  • Options
    @JS congrats to your wife and son...and kudo's to you the sherpa... hope you enjoyed yourselves even thru the crappy weather.... I just looked up my PT person Karin Biskovich and she finished 6th in the W35 AG for the Olympic and I think 48th OA? Looks like the swim was shortened? Which race did you wife do the sprint or OLY and do you know if they shortened the OLY swim?
  • Options
    Jeff - congrats to the fan! nice results.
    3hr abp couldn't quite get the power up. Ended up with an IF of .79
    Then an hour run off the bike trying to keep the heart rate to 150. Which is tough. I think that it wants to go towards 155 but for the first 3 hrs of the run I am going to have to keep the lid on so it seems like good practice.
    Legs is tired!
  • Options
    @tc oly swim 750m due to temps.....water 59 & air 45....but nice & sunny....son said his feet numb from standing cold ground for 30 min in que...feet didn't warm up till run.... He had toe Warmers on bike