Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Ironkids Event

Is anyone with children planning on their child doing the Ironkids event on Friday?  Its a 1 mile run and parents can accompany their child.  Looks like they get a bib, a shirt, and a medal.  Mine will most likely do it.

Comments

• Options
    Jamie, I have an 8 yr. old who for sure is doing it, possibly a 14 yr. old....what is the age limit?
  • Options

@Steve- The age limit is 15.

• Options

Having recently done IMLP which had an Ironkids event, I have to tell you in many ways it was better than IMLP, my 7 year old LOVED it and for the rest of the week went around telling everyone he's an IRONKID, I'm sure my heart must have swelled 5 times over!! Well worth every bit of it...Don't forget your camera!!

Cheers!

• Options
    I wasn't aware of the event. I'll check with my boss and strongly suspect my 10 YO daughter will run it

http://www.ironkids.com/2013_Schedu...un_Run.htm

3:30 before raceday not quite ideal 

• Options
    nice! i'm sure my 3 will be all over this. thanks for posting. and my kids have a better shot at fitting into my EN kit than I do so at least it will be put to use image.
  • Options
    It was a huge hit at my house. My daughter (6) wore her medal to school when we got home from Tahoe. When I picked her up, EVERYONE new the story.

Race report:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/13291/afnp/156109/Default.aspx
  • Options
    We need to also enter our kids names on the event sheet so that we as a team get credit towards the IMTriClub for their participation.
  • Options
    My kids have done IK events for the last few years. They are well run and the spirit of everyone there is very good.

Be aware that they run them in reverse age order, i.e., the oldest kids first. As a result, if you are participating with very young kids, they may have to wait around quite a while to race...and you should be prepared for that time.

The other pointer is that it's relatively easy to "place" at most of them because they break it down to one-year increments, e.g., 1st through 5th (or whatever it is) for 6 year olds, 7 year olds, 8 year olds all separately. Again, they do a good job with this, but the awards are after all the races, so it can be a fairly long day if your kid is on the older side, too. It's perfectly entertaining, but if it's warm and you're racing the next day, you just want to be careful and keep hydrated and all that.

If any of you has a kid that places in the top 10 (and many will, probably) and you decide to come out for the IK Nationals next year, drop me a line...It would be cool to have an IK EN meet up too! :-)
  • Options
    We are in for ironkids. But my kids dont know it yet...
    Team picture might be good too.