Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Focused toward IMCDA

My two HIM are complete. I've taken a week off for the family. Now I am 100% focused on IMCDA! Today was my first official training day where my thought when my feet hit the floor was all Ironman.

I have one question about the Tuesday runs. Should my pace target for the hard miles (z4) be a speed limit or a whip?

My target was 7:17 and I ran the 2 hard miles at 7:01 and 7:04.

Comments

• Options

In my limited infinite knowledge  i would keep with the prescribed minutes per mile and try not to over due it...to close to a big event to get an injury ..yes your right and you should stay focused on the big prize in June..but then what do i know i usually push the limits myself and roll the dice..man o man i wish my z4 was 7:17

see ya there

James

• Options
    Chris ... 7:17 is my Z4 pace also. I tend to do these intervals at an RPE which I feel i can sustain throughout the workout. Some days, that's as slow as 7:17, other days its considerably faster, down to 6:47 or so. It all depends on how well recovered I am from previous workouts and how mindful I am about diwnstream efforts. In any case, I try to lock in at something that *feels* a bit harder than HM effort and a bit easier than a 10 K.

Absent a good feel for running RPE, your best bet is to stick in the 7:09-7:17 range. If that gets boring, enter a local 5k and prove you can train at a faster pace.
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to next week's testing.
  • Options
    Just remember that pushing too hard into a zone 5 effort could affect your downstream workouts....like your Wednesday bike or Thursday long run. Hopefully your test next week will bump you up a notch and solve the problem!