Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Quassy W/O 5/12/14- 3 Weeks to Go!

My off today but hoping everyone else had a good swim!  Looks like another possibility of the "crappy weather shuffle" as Thurs. long run has a high possibility of rain.  *sigh*

I'm not putting too much faith in the weekend forecast at this point but Sat. RR day isn't looking great either so that might end up on Sun. for me....

Comments

• Options
    Long run done early cuz of impending rain on Thurs. 8 miles, avg. 10:35 pace. (Fastest 8mi run was a few weeks ago was 10:24 paces so this was good in my book!)

1 9:46.4 1.00 9:46
    2 10:02.6 1.00 10:03
    3 10:36.4 1.00 10:36
    4 10:50.2 1.00 10:50
    5 10:57.7 1.00 10:58
    6 11:14.2 1.00 11:14
    7 10:40.6 1.00 10:41
    8 11:00.0 1.00 11:00
  • Options

Nice work Kim! I am holding out for Thursday, fingers crossed!!

Did my run before work this morning...7 miles including 2 Z4+ miles and some Z2/3 after. Nice to have the sun coming up at 5:30 when I start!! Good for the mind and soul  Got in my swim after work 3400 yards in the pool.  Hitting open water tomorrow for a bit just to get in! Forget what it feels like  

• Options
    I have a crazy week I decided to do the tour of California on Trainer road. This week is also the Nantucket wine festival. I am part of the management team for this event. Will jump in the pool in the morning followed by a run. Back on the bike for the 4th leg tomorrow. Keep the training going.
  • Options
    Did the Tues bike tonight. Got in my 2 x 15' Z4 before the rain started. Not sure exactly what the IF was cuz PowerAgent/Joule aren't playing nice, but I think I was in the .98IF area.

How's everyone else doing?
  • Options
    So. This was originally going to be two posts, but when you get to the end, you'll understand why the condensed version instead.

Had to hack the schedule this week due to travel on the long weekend. Did the long bike in the Park on Thursday - the rain held off, the bike felt dialed in, met some teammates out for their long run - just a great day all around. Was going to post something philosophical about how there always seem to be challenges on the way, things not going according to plan, but it always feels great when the plan finally comes together. Maybe no expectations of a PB, but it's a great feeling when things line up in the home stretch before race day.

I was still enjoying that feeling of a good training day, when, as I'm brushing my teeth that night, something feels odd and I spit out a big ol' filling from one of my molars (?!?) We'll, that sucks.

Call the dentist in the AM, they're closed until Tuesday due to the long weekend. Oh well, it's not too bad, figure I can manage, so we hit the road out of town.

Sat AM, get out early for the long run. Unintended side effect of a sore tooth is that I don't need a heart rate monitor to figure out my pulse rate, but I figure I can tough through it.

Wrong.

Pull the chute after 2k when a nuclear explosion goes off in my jaw. I can't get over how such a stupid tooth is flooring me. By sheer persistence with the phone directory and a huge stroke of luck, find a dentist among all the farmland here, open on Sat who will see an out of towner.

Bad news: I need a root canal. Worse news: doc isn't equipped to the procedure that day. He sends me off with a fistfull of scripts to tide me over until we get home.

Now, tooth pain and disappointment over missing workouts aside, the most frustrating part of the story is that I'm ra-ven-ous. Not being able to chew anything, the "I've got to hunt something down, kill it and eat it" hunger has set in. Like when Wile E. Coyote looks at the Roadrunner and sees a roast chicken with onions for eyes, celery sticks for legs - you know what I mean. Suffice to say the dogs are giving me worried looks and staying a cautious distance away.

So, my dear teammates, I offer this note, partly as therapy for me, but mostly as a gift to you:

No matter how bad the weather this weekend, or if you have a less than stellar workout this weekend - know that it could always be worse.

:% (that's supposed to be an emoji of a toothache)
  • Options
    Evan- Wow, sorry about the tooth! Maybe it will help you get to race weight? image (Trying to find a silver lining for you) I tell ya, all that GU aint good for the chompers!
  • Options
    Got the RR done on the Quassy course today with only a couple extra mile (something funky happened at the turnaround) Started out a little too strong I think, trying to average out the over FTP "ups" and under FTP "downs" and it didn't work out but ended up at .762IF with 4:18 moving time (had a few navigational check spots and one porta-potty stop.

I LOVE my new Profile Aero Drink thingy. A little too much in the beginning. Drank too much too soon and had to pee by like mile 15 so I toned it down a bit. I drank 3 bottles and if it was a warmer day, I would def need more. Felt good though for the most part but still wasn't looking forward to the run. I ran randomly around the path and local neighborhoods and stumbled across a doozy of a hill, up and down. Managed 5 miles in a little under an hour. I would be THRILLED to pieces to hit 12:00 miles on race day but we'll see....

RR followed by cheeseburger, fries and frosty at Wendy's.

Taper time folks!!