Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

EB IMTX RR

EB's IRONMAN TEXAS RACE REPORT:

It’s been almost a week since I left for Texas. So much has happened in such a short amount of time, I can’t believe it all went by as fast as it did. I have fallen in love with this sport all over again. I had a very bittersweet experience, but it has only made me hungrier for my future races.

PRE RACE: Saturday morning we woke up at 3:30am, had our breakfast, packed our remaining bags and nutrition, and all headed out the door. The drive over was quiet, and very emotional. We were dropped off outside of transition to go put our last minute items on our bike. It was here where we realized we left our pump back at the rental house. Not to worry, there were plenty of other athletes who had one we could borrow. I found one to use, got the bike ready, nutrition on, computer in place, and we were ready to make the walk to the swim. The walk over was filled with nerves, excitement, and crazy energy. Upon walking into North Shore Park, we were greeted with body marking. Marked up, it was off to special needs drop off, and a kiss of luck not to have to see it later. We met up with the team, last minute sunscreen, pictures, pee break, and before we knew it, we were headed to the water. I gave Mike a big hug and off I went to wait in line for the water. There was a gentleman next to me who began singing harmony to the star-spangled banner, so in true EB form, I added in my own three part harmony. It took the nerves off a bit and before I knew it, I was headed out to the left side of the swim start. Barely making it to a paddle board, I grab on and hear "EB!" and low and behold, there is KMF Man, Shaughn Simmons hanging on to the same board. BOOM! I look at Shaughn and ask, "Is that it?" he replied "Yep" and we wished each other luck.

SWIM: 1:12:59 - This was my first open water mass start, and honestly, I think I lucked out because half of the field were either on shore still trying to get in, or on the right side of the start. Off we went, and yes, it wasn't pretty. I took a few elbows to the head, goggles popped off, rolled on my back to fix them, and focused on moving forward. At one point someone grabbed my chip and loosened it. We were about 1000 meters out when I felt it slip off of my ankle. I grabbed it before it got away and stuffed it down the front of my wetsuit. Crisis averted. I kept seeing yellow buoys on both the right and left side, realizing too late that the red turnaround buoy was way right from the line I was swimming. I had gone a bit too far off course, which took me a good while to get myself back and around the turn. The swim back towards the canal was a lot easier, and before I knew it, I was making the turn into the canal. I chose to stay far right onto the wall, which was perfect. No one touched me here, and I was able to gain a ton of time. Before I knew it, I was out of the water, and into T1.

T1: 04:53 The strippers were great. Sadly, I accidentally kicked mine in the jaw when I dropped to the ground. Into the tent I went, and felt like I was floating through, ready to attack the bike. I saw Jay at my bike and he said I was out of the water in just under 1:15; just as I had planned. 

BIKE: 06:14:06 - Off I went down Woodlands Parkway feeling great, watching my watts, holding back and staying focused as athletes zoomed passed. At mile 12 there was already a wreck, and volunteers were telling bikers to stay far left to avoid it. There was an enormous bump in the middle of the road with bottles littered everywhere. Volunteers where recommending slowing down for the bump. I hit it hard, reached behind me: bottle #1 check. Bottle #2, gone. I think to myself, "no worries." "Special needs, you packed an extra bottle in case this happened." Moving onward with Plan B. I started to take in The Right Stuff with water. My plan was to switch every other bottle, taking in 36oz every hour. I lost count after the fourth or so rest stop (I was planning on them being every 15 miles?) and found myself taking in 3 vials of The Right Stuff, and all of my bottle #1 nutrition. I stopped at special needs, grabbed my bottle #2, and on I went feeling good. I think I peed at least 4 times the entire ride. My mistake of the day was either taking in too much sodium, or drinking too quickly after SN trying to catch up with what I had missed. At mile 80, I began gagging with nausea. It took me everything to even drink water, and every time I tried to, I would end up gagging and spitting it up. Part of me was hoping it was my position that was just too much on my stomach, and once I stood up, the nausea would go away. The other part of me wanted to make myself get it all up, but I was afraid I would do more damage. My power went back down to where I had started, and I realized that racing today was out the window. Plan C: Course Nutrition and get to the finish. I pulled into T2 drained and sick. I could barely get a walk, and prayed for something to make me feel better so I could get through the marathon. I took my time in T2, sipping water, and getting my mind ready for the feat ahead. I. will. Fight. Through. 

RUN: 05:01:08 - The first mile was the absolute worst. I get to the first aid station and go straight for the coke. Enter the OH SH*T plan. By mile two my legs were back under me and I stuck with the 11:30/12:00 min miles that they were graciously providing. I see Coach P and tell him the sh*t hit the fan. He asks where my heart rate is, and I see for the first time it was at 110 (normally 140) and I couldn't get it up. He said I looked pale and to eat the food, double up on sodium and sip coke. Every aid station I grabbed water, dumped on my cool wings, dunked my frog towel, ice down front and back, forced water down, sipped a coke, and at mile 10 began chicken broth. My entire marathon was that: Water. Ice. Coke. Broth. Go. Repeat. Besides the low HR and nausea, my legs were ok. The energy on the promenade was electric, and seeing Jay and the Crosby's was good for my soul, and my heart rate. I slowly saw it start to come back up, toping out at 120. I actually think I negative split my run, which is hilarious to me. At mile 20 my stomach reminded me why I don't like course nutrition. I did however run EVERY mile (slowly) and rewarded myself with a walk through the aid stations. At mile 25 my stomach finally gave me the gut check I'd been waiting for, and I puked like a bad case of the stomach flu. It was embarrassing, and I scared small children and grown men off I think. Apologized with a wave and a smile, wiped my mouth, and headed on to the finish chute. 

FINISH: 12:38:51 - Entering in to the finish chute I became pretty emotional. Five hours before, I could barely walk off the bike, and had no idea how I was going to get through the 26.2 miles. It made finishing my first 140.6 miles a little sweeter, because I never for one moment thought I had to stop. I knew the day was going to be challenging, and I knew whatever the challenges were, I would get through them. Selfishly, I know I could have done better though. Selfishly, I want a do over. Reality is I am thankful for the day I had, and the lessons I learned. I took 30 seconds to find Jay, give him a great big hug and kiss, and of course tell him I just threw up. (true love.) I waved my frog towel like a crazy person, and when I heard those sweet words, "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN," I did my Texas two-step all the way over the finish 

I will do another full distance. And I will fight for a KQ, even if I have to wait until I'm 75. 

Finish video including my lil TX two step: http://youtu.be/Otbj-_Wq-X0

Comments

• Options
    EB, it was so much fun training, camping and racing with you.  You brought a permanent smile and a ton of energy to the team.  GI issues on the bike and puking on the run are IM traditions.  Sorry you had to experience them both on the same day.  But you gutted it out, crossed the line and have joined the club.  It's a day you'll never forget.  A big congrats on a well-earned accomplishment!  I'm also sorry for lying to you when I passed you on the run and said you looked strong and good.  But I didn't think the truth would have helped you at the time.   As soon as Jay and the boys clear you to sign up for another, let's re-group.
  • Options
    EB! Great to meet you and your fam. Sounds like you were more bloated than I was. Kind of a bummer. See you next time!
  • Options
    Good job EB! Way to fight through it. I had a similar issue at IMFL and thankful Coach P was there also to save my behind that day also.
  • Options
    Congratulations. And it will only get better from here...
  • Options

EB...very impressive to run the whole marathon with those gut problems.  I don't think I would have been able to do that.  I don't know how I did not see you on the bike.  I was out of the water 30secs after you, but took a couple of minutes longer in T1.  I thought we could just redo the camp ride scenario!  

I was hoping to pass you somewhere on the bike, only to have you run by me on the first run loop!  That is how it should've gone down for you.  I'm so sorry your day was not what it could have been.  You are fast, motivated, full of energy and I have no doubt you can KQ if you love this sport and keep at it like you prepared for the first.  Congratulations!  I hope we race together again someday soon.  JL

• Options
    Emily--- Way to stay in your box and handle that goggle/chip loss on the swim. I have no idea how you were actually able to keep your chip and put it in your suit. Just crazy! What made you thing you took in too much sodium? Like to hear more about your nutrition plan , how much you drank? how much sodium? I'm not familiar with the right stuff? Nauseas at the beginning of the run OUCH! But you developed a plan , worked thru it , yes it was uncomfortable , but you ran, and finished in style! Congrats Ironman. Bet you felt good after you finally puked at mile 25? I'm Vegan(plant based and not too anal) but chicken broth is like crack to me after an IM (broth and pretzels) it is the only time I will choose an animal product so I'm a big fan of chicken broth for anyone on the run who is nauseas! BTW I consumed a whole can of broth after finishing!
  • Options

"...I never for one moment thought I had to stop" That attitude made you a 12 minute superstar. 

• Options
    Brink the nation Emily! You're. A. Rockstar. Love you!
  • Options
    That's my partner!!!
  • Options
    Tim - One of the biggest lessons I learned is to train harder to get my stomach used to course nutrition. I have also been plant based for the past two years, and have issues because of this. (The chicken broth tasted so nasty to me...) I chose to go with the Ucan (superstarch nutrition that allows for a longer energy burn) which only works when you don't have it fall off of your bike? I'll try to attach my final race plan so you can look at the calories/sodium content... I knew I was taking a chance. I also knew it worked flawlessly in all of my training rides and HIM leading up to TX. Back to the drawing board. I plan to revisit my Core Diet plan I had drawn up last summer.

• Options
    A fantastic IM performance EB!   So glad I got to know you and experience the journey with you!
  • Options
    Congrats on your race. Fighting through after the bike nausea etc is so impressive
  • Options
    Gang: I finally uploaded my data... It only took a week.

@Tim here is a link to my updated race plan that I mentioned above. You'll see the calorie and sodium breakdown at the bottom.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8tjAkYTiO4cRkFiNlZUSV9fblE/edit?usp=sharing

BIKE: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/505286564

I had planned on racing at .68, and felt like I was well on my way until I got a sour stomach.

RUN: 1-13: 2:56
    14-26: 2:45
    http://www.strava.com/activities/144621986/laps

Mentally tough run but still was able to semi-execute like an EN Ninja, right?
  • Options
    Emily, Assuming your actual nutrition was close to your planned nutrition (still don't know how many ounces of fluid you took in per hour on the bike and sounds like you lost count on that?) ... Disclaimer I'm not a nutritionist and its all highly individual which you know... But looks to me like 160 cal per hour is on the light side ( I am 250-300 @ 120lbs) and the sodium over 1000mg per hour seems on the high side (I'm around 500-600).... Again I don't know much about the Right Stuff or Ucan but have read their claims... To be honest I don't thing there is anything special or magic about there products... Just like infinite, skratch labs , etc etc.... They all claim to have magic powers of hydration, slow burn carbs , blah blah blah.... I do like to try this stuff and make my own decisions and unless I find something that is heads and tails better than what is on the course there is absolutely no way I want to complicate my day with my own products... Of all the stuff I have tried I like Perform and Gatorade Endurance the best . Period. Also a breakfast with Avocado and Boiled eggs doesn't sound very easy to digest . I know your gonna review your Core Diet Plan. I'm not a fan of the applesauce (yes I tried) but I bet you wont find Avocado and Eggs on there breakfast. I find white rice, hempseed , coconut oil , and maple syrup , extremely easy to digest. Yes that looks like a Ninja run to me.... Watch out when you get this figured out!
  • Options
    Emily,

It's incredible that you were able to stay running after all that! Hopefully, we will both get another chance to race one soon!
  • Options
    Emily : Very strong performance! you should be proud of each of the 140 miles you completed during this race.
    Way to switch to contingency plans and pull through in the hardest of conditions staying in the box and showing great mental as well as physical strenght. There will be PRs coming and you will continue to fight and improve but you should keep this race in a very special place. Congratulations!
  • Options
    Emily - it sounds like you handled yourself like an IM veteran - not loosing your composure...making adjustments on the fly and of course, finishing strong! Great, great job!! I can't wait to see what a non-stomach sick EB looks like!!
  • Options
    Strong work regardless.

Nice to see you out there.

See you in kona someday.