Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Leslie's Rev3 Quassy Half race report

I have to be honest, although I'm glad I finished, and I enjoyed the beautiful weather and scenery on the course, overall I am disappointed with my race.  I did the race last year and had mechanical problems on the bike and it was a brutally hot day.  So, I figured no matter what I'll do much better this year, right?  Here are my two years in comparison.  (This year Rev3 dropped my total run time in the results so I am estimating based on what my watch said when I crossed the finish line and the post race instant print out.)

2013:  S: 57:38    T1: 6:04     B: 4:04:47    T2: 4:50    R: 3:26:37   TOTAL: 8:39:56

2014:  S: 57:31    T1: 9:01     B: 4:13:20     T2: 4:03    R: 3:10:?    TOTAL: 8:34:?

I'm pleased with my swim.  As slow as I am I am at least consistent.  I hope someday to improve but that is not a battle I want to take on right now.  I have no idea what I was doing in transition for 9 minutes.  It was a new wetsuit and was harder to take off but 9 minutes!  Definitely have to practice a speedier transition.  The bike is where I am really disappointed.  With a bicycle in perfect working order and gorgeous weather, and a bike rehearsal where I avr. 14.7, there is no reason for me to have averaged 13.26.  I have figured out that I did not handle my nutrition as well as usual.  I still have chews in my bento box at the end even though I packed exactly what I needed.  I also didn't have to pee until mile 2 on the run.  Not a good sign.  I thought I was drinking a lot but I guess I wasn't.    I didn't pee a second time until I got home at 6:00 PM at night.  So, clearly under hydrated.  It doesn't seem that that should account for the really slow times but...maybe.  My run too was slower than I expected considering the nice weather.  My heart rate during the run was often in Z1.  I kept trying to run faster but my feet and knees hurt so much I really could not seem to get my legs to go faster.  It was a strange feeling.  I kept thinking of all the people who push through the pain and mind over matter but in the end my body just didn't react. 

Next year I think I'll just do the Oly. 

Comments

• Options
    Leslie you did great. Don't beat yourself up on one race. You did what you needed to do and got it done. If anything you can say you enjoyed yourself and had a great weekend! Walk away from this with lessons learned and use that for your next race.

Keep up to hard work!
  • Options
    The fact that you pushed through and finished is an accomplishment. Do not discount that or you will shortchange yourself. In pain you finished when others may not have. Take lessons from this race and apply them to the next.
  • Options
    Leslie, you had a big PR on the run! That is really great for Quassy. I still have bad memories of walking those hills last year! Congratulations for toughing it out!!
  • Options
    x2 what Carol said. A 16-minute run improvement is a testament to your bike and run fitness. The nutrition piece worries me a bit, admittedly. You need a goal like "This bottle is empty by Time X" and then you do it. We can't have you finding out after the race that maybe you didn't eat / drink enough...you need to be able to assess that in the race so we can fix it. image Looking forward to our post-race call....hope you are recovering!!!
  • Options
    While it's not what you wanted, you learned and pointed out certain areas where you can make improvements. You did improve overall and the 15 minutes on the run is huge---for a HIM, that's running over 1 minute per mile faster!!!
  • Options
    Great run Leslie!!!! heck you get off the bike and still beat last years time on the run and your over all time by 5 minutes. I call that a win win. As for nutrition... its hard because we have not been getting tons of warm days to test and practice increasing your fluids because of the heat. I always have a challenge with that.

Great job!!
  • Options

I really appreciate all the support.   But you all know how it is when you have a goal in mind.  Definitely will appreciate that I finished and learn how to improve and take the lessons with me to IMMT 70.3 in 2 1/2 weeks!

(I have no one at home the least bit interested or knowledgeable about triathlon so it really means something connecting with all of you.)