Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Training Camp Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

I saw this in the IMLP website, does anyone know if the queue sheets for camp take this into account? 

IRONMAN Lake Placid Road Construction Update

The long, harsh winter of 2013-14 had a noticeable impact on the quality of pavement in the Adirondack

region. Race officials and the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) are aware of

existing conditions on State Routes 73 and 86 that comprise much of the Ironman Lake Placid bike course.

Road improvement projects commenced on May 8 with the section of Route 73 (Sentinel Rd.) between

Mill Pond Dr. and Newman Rd. (The Corner Store). This section will be closed to thru traffic.

Visiting athletes will need to utilize the Mill Pond Dr. to Old Military Rd. detour to access Route 73 at the

ski jumps. Please check back for further updates regarding additional construction projects.

Athletes training on the Ironman Lake Placid bike course are urged to ride cautiously while construction

crews are involved with improvement projects. Please abide by the rules of the road:

1. Observe all traffic laws, signals, and signage.

2. Signal your intentions for motorists.

3. Give right of way to pedestrians.

4. Wear high visibility clothing and utilize appropriate lighting.

5. Ride single file.

6. Do not litter.

7. No public urination.

8. Respect all road closures.

Cyclists are also encouraged to seek alternate routes during the construction period prior to July 27. The

Adirondack region provides tremendous cycling terrain beyond the Ironman Lake Placid bike course;

avoid the construction by exploring the variety of options.

• Options
    Will a Group Me group be set up for this? Wondering if the crew will plan to get together fri. Night for dinner. (I'm not arriving til late fri. Afternoon)
  • Options
    @Kim- there was an email from Coach P re camp - I would guess you got it a week or so ago. It had the full agenda attached. There is a group dinner Friday night for all attending. Also in the attachment, there was a sign up sheet for different starting times options on the bike. In that sign up sheet, there was a place to opt in for group me. Here's the link:

https://m.app.box.com/view_shared/kiu36a9798rk46oterqm
  • Options
    @Carlos- I saw that road work info somewhere also.....I don't think coach's queue sheets take this into account...although I'm happy they are doing the road work, it could make navigation interesting! I'm already directionally challenged - just don't tell my wife that I admitted that image
  • Options
    Brad (or anyone): Can you forward that email to me? Perhaps I was clinging to the porcelain god when that came through? image

kimmydct@hotmail.com

Thanks!
  • Options
    @kim- emailed to you
  • Options

Posted By Brad Marcus on 11 Jun 2014 05:39 AM

@Carlos- I saw that road work info somewhere also.....I don't think coach's queue sheets take this into account...although I'm happy they are doing the road work, it could make navigation interesting! I'm already directionally challenged - just don't tell my wife that I admitted that

Some of my friends were in LP last weekend and rode the course.  They said the construction did not cause any problems.  The roads are open, just use extra caution.

• Options
    Thanks Antoinette.  Good to know.
  • Options
    @ Brad- Thanks! Hasn't come through yet... Lost in cyberspace?
  • Options

I was in LP last weekend at a hockey camp with my son. Because of the ice time, I wasn't able to ride the full course (had to save my quads ).

The construction on Rte 73 at Lisa G's is completed. The stretch on 73 from Lisa G's to River Road is in pretty good shape, but from the ski jumps to the Cascade Inn Rte 73 it's beat-up both on the shoulder and the roadway. The new pavement/repair is welcome and needed!!

Ride safe and have fun everyone!!

~Bill

• Options
    Getting ready to head up this morning...probably leave by 11am. I'm a bit bummed by tomorrow's forecast for the likelihood of rain (70% all morning). At least Saturday and Sunday look good.
  • Options
    Sure is quiet around here - is everyone still tired from camp weekend? :-)
  • Options
    Yes!  Taking yesterday and today as recovery days.  Will do an easy bike and possible run tomorrow.  The camp was excellent and the weather was good for half of it!
  • Options
    same here, camp was a lot of work, even though I didn't ride as much as Doug (no one did)!
  • Options
    Camp was great! Since I didn't train on Sunday with these guys, I swam 4000 yesterday (which felt good) and biked/ran 60min/30min today (which felt awful!). Hoping legs are back to normal soon...
  • Options
    @Doug - thanks for the props.  You blew by me on the run on Sunday and looked so strong.  You're going to rock that course.  Took off yesterday and today.  Going to get back on the bike tomorrow for ~1:20 (which seems like a joke after last weekend!).  Will cut the Thursday run down and be back in business on Saturday. 
  • Options

Camp was great.  You guys tore up that course - you should be tired, sore and resting!!

Took off yesterday too and did an OWS with my local tri club tonight.  Swim felt really good, and although I wasn't pushing, it turned out to be my best pace yet this year.  I did only 1.5 miles, but was great to get in the water since I skipped out on the Friday camp swim.