Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Leslie Sedlak's Sprint Race Recap

I know for most of us, a sprint tri is a C race at best, and often times we have more training to do that day after the race.  Part of that was true for me yesterday, it was 'listed' as my C race, but it is also a race I have done for 6 years (minus one year because I was pregnant) and for the last 4, my  husband and I have done them together.  My husband.....a person who said I was crazy when he watched his first triathlon...said he would never do one.......and my son and I will be watching him race IM LP in just a few weeks image  So needless to say there is a bit of competition and trash talk in our house leading up to this race.  Truth be told, I was really trying for top three overall female at this race....I felt fast......I didn't even place in my age group.  I left the race disappointed, even though my times seemed pretty fast for me, and I felt like that last mile of the run I was busting at the seams trying to get to that finish line.  Why didn't I have a better race?!?!????

I had really enjoyed the race.  I was one of the top three females out of the water.  Only one girl passed me on the bike - which NEVER happens.  I ran my heart out......but I let the fact that I didn't place, cast a shadow on a day where we had a small army cheering for us.  My Family drove 600 miles to come help with the baby, and watch us race.  And when I came home and my husband checked his improvement from last years' times, I didn't even want to look.  I took 8 second shy of 3 WHOLE MINUTES off my time.  In a sprint!!!!  I should have been jumping for joy.  Last year was a PR (7 months after having a baby) as was this one.  I had set my expectations based on who showed up that day - something that is for sure out of my control.  I had a great race.  I had a fantastic time, and next race, I will focus on MY race, and not all the other females around me.  I will still try my best to beat as many as I can - but I can't control their race - only mine - and this one was great.

Comments

• Options

Great job and extra credit for taking the right lesson home from the race. It took me a while to figure out that the idea is to compete WITH other people, not AGAINST them, as we all test our fitness and limits.