Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Debbie Williams 2014 Buffalo Springs 70.3 Race Report

I chose to do this 70.3 as a test to current fitness/prep for IM Louisville and to compare 2014 with what I did in 2012.  It was also the 25th anniversary of this privately owned Ironman branded event – the Greer's do an AMAZING job organizing this event - super volunteers - cold fluids & ice on quite remote/rural HOT run/bike courses.  Never advertised as an easy race - expect extreme heat & challenging short steep hills.  This year's training has been different than in 2012 – I am following the EN plan which hasn't provided time for hill repeats and my running mileage wasn't as high as I’d like (and I've been running slower this year than 2012).  My running this year has been run/walk (vs what I’d been doing - run until I get too tired & all walk)… AND I've changed over to Paleo diet/nutrition plan. Oh yeah, by June 2012 I had IM St George training in my legs (that's a whole 'nother story!).

Morning of race – Nervous – it’s been almost 2years since I’ve done anything close to this kind of effort.  Unable to eat egg frittata (planned go-to breakfast) – I was able to choke down half Larabar.  Pre-dawn it was very windy – weather report indicated that winds would be steady 20-25MPH (plus gusts) until 9ish & then die down to about 10-13MPH during the daytime.  High temp of 103.  OK I can handle this.

Swim  Female 45+ start 6:39 wave 5 – better organized start than in 2012 - timing line was NOT in the sand.  Started on far right side – decided to stay right to try avoid contact with faster waves (that started behind our group).  I've been working really hard on my swim this year & secretly hoped to get out of the water around :45.  Very nice lake to swim in - water was 75' & wet suit legal.  Without a watch it was hard to know where I was time-wise - I was passed by lots of people, but I also caught a couple from the wave ahead of the females.  I thought swim went OK, glad I didn’t see clock when exiting because it was SLOWER than 2012. ARGH!!

Bike – the first of 8 climbs out of T1 – 100’ climb in quarter mile followed by a quick down to lake level & repeat similar climb to get back to top of Canyon elevation (two climbs down!)… Yep gonna need that 39X27.  Winds had not died down & were a constant howling 20-25MPH out of the south - plus gusts even more than that!!  Handful of false flat cotton field miles over towards the Canyon that we’d ride in & out of… 6 of the short steep climbs are advertised of having sections of 5-10% grades!!! (the other 2 are a little longer averaging a 4% grade).  Most of the climbs were straight into the wind and 2 of climbs had a tail wind advantage.  Riding into the wind on the flat sections I found myself in the little chain ring to maintain some kind of cadence and not grind my knees.  I knew I was riding waaaay slower than expected. While none of the hills were easy, I was able to ride them – in fact, my climbing felt better than in 2012 (at least that’s what I recall regarding my effort – as in 2012 I could barely get my feet round & round on these climbs) either the Computrainer classes work or my memory has faded.  Last couple miles into T2 I certainly felt like I’d ridden my bike 56 miles, I DID feel like I could have ridden more.  I'd spent maximum time in aero position & was comfortable doing it on the tri bike.  It’s always kinda demoralizing arriving FINALLY @ T2 and seeing athletes that have already FINISHED the race as I just was putting on my shoes to go and run.  I’d noted on the bike out & back course that there were 20-30 cyclists behind me – HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!  In 2012 there were like 6 cyclists behind me.

Run – A weakness that I keep plugging away at.  As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten slower.  Running is hard on my hips & feet.  This year I’ve been running 4 minutes, walking 1 minute – I seem to be able to hold “my” pace at this interval.  In the past couple weeks, I’ve actually increased running distance while reducing my mile time.  I’ve been doing 45 minute runs off of the bike in training 2X/week & this helped me to get into the run groove.  At BSLT I stuck pretty close to the 4run/1walk splits with the exception of walking the 3 steep hills in/out of the lake/canyon (described on course map as “ranging from 6.4% - 7.6% approx. 300 – 880 yards in length&rdquoimage and the last 3 miles when it really got HOT (and I got tired!) was more of a 2run/2walk.  I used a bandana with ice in the middle shoved down my sports bra – this helped to keep my core cool (and feet dry).  It was 103 (or 104 depending on who you talk to) FULL SUN for the run - a few shaded spots around the Lake, but mainly FULL SUN.  Around Buffalo Springs Lake there are houses, people on the LAKE splashing in the water, campgrounds, and other runners to occupy the mind… I ran with a couple people, but mainly ran/walked alone.  The road surface around the Lake is asphalt, the remainder of the road surface is tar/gravel.  Are my feet really STICKING to the road???  Yes.  And the bottoms of my feet are BURNING HOT like seared!!  There’s an out & back section to turn around point on what’s referred to as Energy Lab Road II (we do go by an electric plant that processes energy from the huge windmills) – this totally sun exposed road with cotton fields on either side has about a 1% grade up/down and you can SEE the heat radiating off the surface!!!  The stiff winds on this section actually were good as they provided some cooling.   I thanked myself for the many miles I’ve been running in AZ up/down Whitehouse Canyon Road (which has about a 1% grade).  I did stick with walk/run program on this 3+ mile section with an added short walk thru the water stations.   More ice down the shirt, cold water over my head, Salt Tabs, a little Gu – more Strawberry Lime EUCK!!!… Keep moving forward.  My longest run this year was about 7-8 miles – I wondered how this would come into play today… The wheels didn’t totally come off the cart, but about mile 10 I reverted to run 2/walk 2… It was EXTREMELY HOT!!!  Course support was amazing!  I was a true back of the packer!!  I counted about 10-12 others behind me as I was heading back (and they were heading out) – IDK if the others I’d seen on the bike course missed the run start cut off or they decided to call it a day.  Race support in golf carts drove up & down the course with water/Gatoraide (in addition to aid stations that stayed open!).  Finally around the last bend and into the Finish line chute – uh volunteers were breaking down bike racks, loading up gear...  Collected Finisher medal & tech Finisher shirt.  The Medical Tent was still quite busy with IVs, oxygen, etc (even with some volunteers were being treated!!).  General consensus with some of the others still lingering around finish area – this was a really tough day.  Gathered up my gear & walked up the first bike hill to the car, cleaned up a bit & headed out of town.

Nutrition – I haven’t really figured out a Paleo nutrition plan…  I had 2 Honey Stinger waffles which I like and 4 or 5 Gu - they were available on the course – while I hadn’t used them this year, I have in the past & they’ve worked for me.  Strawberry/Lime EUCK!!!  really?!?!?!  Plus 2 Salt Caps/hour.  On course electrolyte on the run/water.

Summary – I think I’m heading in the right direction.  My time was significantly slower than in 2012 (this seems to be a reoccurring theme!!!)… The addition of the 8th hill (or THE Hill) probably added 10 minutes and the high winds probably another 10-15 minutes (which would then put me near my 2012 bike time).  My 2014 run was 10 minutes slower than 2012 – the heat could be the factor here.  Transitions were slower in 2014 – I guess I just wasn’t hurried??  With all the direct sun on run course, I burned my scalp!! OUCH!  I didn't see any Endurance Nation kits on the road - although a couple of other people told me they were some EN people @ BSLT.  My EN kit arrived the day after I left for TX, so I had on my purple Tucson Tri Girls top. 

My #1 goal for the day was NOT to be the last finisher.  I was the last finisher.  There were 71 others who didn't finish.

I wanted to keep my HR between 135-140 - average HR was 138 for both the bike & run.  It's quite unlikely that IM Louisville will have the high winds as in West TX.  IM Louisville has rolling hills - but not the steep 5-8MPH kind as in Lubbock.  IM Louisville run course is flat and well shaded (at least later in the day/eve when I will be on it).  IM Louisville WILL have the heat & humidity..

Monday drive day, Tuesday rest/massage, Wednesday morning walk & 2200 yd swim, Thursday Computrainer class with brick run... and then I hope I'm back onto IM Louisville training.  Continue increasing running distance/time.  Continue increasing bike distance.  IDK what to do with the swim!!!  Besides get in the pool & swim.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Debbie,

Good job on a tough race. I am Paleo also, but on race day, I don't follow it. I use Perform and I've had good success with it.
    I have read a bunch on integrating Paleo and endurance events and they pretty much say the same. You could also try Generation UCAN