Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

robn sarner. why am i bike racing?

one week ago,  did a gravel grinder race.   fun.       did pretty well considering I broke my derailleur hanger and had to switch bikes.    luckily I broke down right near the pit.          I was right with the lead group until that. 

this past Saturday did part of a crit.        course was dry when started.      then not.         solo wipeout around a corner.      not the simple slide out deal.      Almost slid out, overcorrected, then went over the wrong way.   is that "highside"?    hit head really hard.       broke my nice helmet but not my head.       lay there not able to breath for a bit.           hit my right flank/chest hard.    So figured I had broken ribs.         Not much to do other than relax.       one hour later start coughing up a bit of blood.    So did the ER trip and CT.       significant lung bruise.    doc said he has never seen this without rib fractures.

I am fine basically.   sore.     1-2 weeks down mostly.

So why was I racing a crit in the rain with Tremblant up soon and my known goals?       In retrospect, should not have been there.    But here is a line between living in bubble wrap saving oneself for the main racing goals versus living life.             The excitement of doing this local race overrode my better common sense.          But I am ok.     I get to rest for 1-2 weeks.             So live your life.   Don't forgot a touch of common sense.

Comments

• Options
    In light of recent events we get reminded of our own mortality. You're right we can't live in a bubble. Song lyrics that caught my ear this week "everything that kills me , makes me feel alive" I used to practice this to an extreme with my BASE jumping (many close calls and some lost friends). But I'm beginning to see there really isn't much difference between that and bicycle training and racing on the roads. I was a bit surprised to hear your story knowing your a trainer guy ! So glad to hear you will heal up , keep doing what your doing, and I like that touch of common sense!

I'll be at IMMT to cheer you on to that KQ..... Keep your focus....
  • Options

I don't do anything crazy like that leading up to an IM, no way. But I do understand the draw!

Nothing but Kevlar and bubble wrap people!

Rest up and heal well!

• Options
    Robin- Very timely post as I have been eyeballing some local crits lately. Glad you're OK, but it does make you think more about doing something like that when you've got a race coming up!

Maybe nexy year if I do an exclusively short course season.....
  • Options

During the first ten years of my triathlon career, I continued several higher risk sporting activities - mountain biking (on real mountain single track), bike commuting, and "steep and deep" expert skiing, each of which carried its own set of risks. I got injured (nothing serious) during that time doing all of them, as well as one or two minor bike injuries tri training. I agree with the bubble wrap concept. Do what you;re driven to do, what gives you enjoyment from challenge, learning, and eventual mastery. If you get *really* good at one thing, you might find yourself beginning to specialize to maximize the results there; that's what happened to me, first in skiing, then in Ironman. And naturally, the most serious injuries I suffered were during those times of "specialization". 

• Options

Sorry to hear about your injury, and so glad you are ok. Hope you heal up fast. 

Your post is timely for me, as I have also been looking at doing Cyclocross, gravel grinders and long distance MTB races. I would consider this a symptom of several years of hard and focused specialized training on IM triathlon. Its seems natural at this point to need some diversity to bring the 'fun' back into training and racing, and put that fitness to test in other ways. BUT, its important to know when you are 'in' season and 'out' season and what risks are worth taking against the potential cost of blowing your season and goals for triathlon. I made a pact with myself to not indulge any risky outside races or activities during the 20wks prior to my A race IM, and to save the other stuff for downtime, and OS. It may limit what I can do at this point for fun, but my other goals are overriding those needs. In time perhaps IM training and a KQ will take a back seat to other activities and races. 

Still I do figure I can do all the trail racing and road running I want as long as it fits in the training plan. 

• Options
    I've competed in a sum total of 2 crits, the last being in 1987 on a lark.  I barely survived a bad crash that took out about half the field and wondered why the heck I took such a risk...and I was in my late 20's.  Nope, I can get enough excitement in a Gran Fondo or time trial.  Leave the crits to the roadies.  Heal fast!!
  • Options

tim.   thanks.   yes just wanted to mix it up on the bike.      I don't mind road bike riding outside.     actually enjoy it.    but the blind riding in time trial position may be almost as dangerous as base jumping or whatever.       I get a full 1-2 week rest, then bubble wrap and indoors mostly.   see you in quebec.

scott.   thanks.     would be interesting to have some actual stats on relative dangerousness of things.     time trail bike training versus road bike crit racing versus cyclocross versus base jumping versus road bike training versus other stuff.         risk of serious injury and death.             my crit wipeout was mostly due to lapse in concentration and poor reflexes.  

kim.  thanks.  next year, if I take an iron break, may mix it up more.

Al.    thanks.    Yes I have stopped skiing altogether because that seems the riskiest of all to my knees.    I did enjoy a full cyclocross season this last winter.    this is probably safer than crit racing.     I hope to heal and be up for the hunt to join you in Kona sometime.

rian.   thanks.     most of those things you list are not too risky, to my mind.       mountain biking, training and racing, probably safer then bike training on the road?        you live in a great area for trail stuff.

paul.  thanks.      yes will probably give crits a pass for a while.               am hoping to get back to cyclocross this next season.   

• Options
    Why are you bike racing? Really, why? Robin, honestly, please. You have a KQ goal hanging over you and you're really close. IMMT is around the corner in just over a month. I don't disagree "in general" with most folks' supportive comments about doing other sports. But so close to a goal race, embrace the bubble wrap.
  • Options

Wow Robin, so sorry to hear about your crash an glad you’re relatively okay.

This post is helpful to me as I’m being recruited to be on a cycling team and my first though was “Why not, I’d get stronger?” but after reading this it reminds me of why I gave up hockey.   I can see now that when you have a bigger goal on the horizon and a perfectly suitable trainer inside why risk it?    

Thanks again for sharing…  stay safe and bubble wrap up!

Cowbell is poised for you!!!  

• Options

Matt.           so yes, clear now that my decision to race a crit was moronic.         my chest/flank still very sore.     will have to make a decision by this coming weekend about pulling the plug for Tremblant, or not.                 If i can get back to it full by next week, fine.     if not, maybe late season mexican trip?

Jenn,    yes you might want to stay away from the riskier types of bike races.   

• Options
    One of the greater downsides of IM training and racing is that after Week X, you increasingly can't do any of the other stuff you might enjoy. There's definitely a No Mo Fun Zone.
  • Options
    Right coach.     Being a "runner", at least I can still enjoy a variety of running events.     Though I am staying away from zombie runs and throw colored powder on you runs. 
  • Options
    Yep ... you did a high side fall much worse on a motorcycle.

Having fun with your fitness .... dance on my friend dig it, sit in the mud and have a ball, if your in it live it for what's it's worth.

My high side fall years ago cost me a PE... now that really rocked my world.
  • Options
    Wow, glad you're "ok" Robin!! Sounds pretty scary to me! Hope you're well on the road to recovery!
  • Options
    So what do people think of Spartan races?
  • Options
    I'm doing one in Philadelphia then onto a longer course developed by the Navy Seals called the Bone Frog this fall in NY.

Digging my fitness image
  • Options

David Ware.   Ironically I am staying away from obstacle races until Ironman is done.      Definitely risky to my mind.

David Mc.     Yes I learned the High Side term.     And yes ultimately one has to have fun with this all in life..     Of course you Navy/Coastie guys....

Jessie.     thanks.   Back to it full now except some small pain with swimming.   but should be on track for Tremblant.