Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

Motivation

I am able to complete my training leading up to IMMT; however, I have been struggling with motivation lately. Last year, I was pretty pumped up about the entire experience, yet this year, I dread getting on the bike or counting endless laps. Any books or websites or advice would be appreciated.

Stephanie

Comments

• Options
    I ordered an endurance nation tri suit etc from the website over a week ago. I called several times over the past few days only to get an answering machine. I have not received any response regarding the ETA of my order. All was in stock according to the website and I requested 2 day shipping, but nothing several days later. Any insight or advice?
  • Options

Posted By Stephanie Garrett on 21 Jul 2014 07:53 AM

I ordered an endurance nation tri suit etc from the website over a week ago. I called several times over the past few days only to get an answering machine. I have not received any response regarding the ETA of my order. All was in stock according to the website and I requested 2 day shipping, but nothing several days later. Any insight or advice?

Hi Stephanie, 

See my answer to your post in the Macro Forum.

Regarding your motivation issues...yeah, that's tough, especially in the last 3-5wks before an IM. The Phunometer is definitely pegged. What has worked for me:

• Runs with music and/or podcasts. Reduces the mental struggle of punching the clock.
    • See if you can find people to join you on a portion of your long rides. I've done many rides where I'm solo for an hour, then drop in on a group ride, then solo for 30-60'. Again, reduces the mental cost of the ride. 
  • Options
    Hi Stephanie,

I think we all have ups and downs with motivation - don't feel like you are alone in that regard!

I personally seem to go in cycles. As I start a build phase, everything is great, I'm excited about the workouts, ... Usually I have a down cycle right after testing. I try to go with the new numbers, everything feels hard, I suddenly feel plateaued, motivations sags... Some cycles have higher highs and lower lows. That is just me.

I don't know if you have a group to train with, but I would highly recommend finding one if you don't. Just having plans to meet and start riding at 5:00 am on a Saturday guarantees that I show up ready to go... I don't want to be "that guy" that doesn't show up for the ride. We have a fairly large group, and we are training for different races using different training plans... but we start together a couple days each week, some of us ride / run together, others I see sporadically as we do loops or we finish together. This helps me a lot.

Another trick that I use is to ride/run/swim someplace new... just changing the course and seeing something different helps me enjoy the session more. After doing a new/different route, it helps look forward to the next session.

Sometimes I buy an audio book that I only allow myself to listen to while running (this helps a ton on the treadmill... I really hate the treadmill. Sometimes I do the shorter run workouts during lunch...

Almost anything you can do to mix it up and see other people will get you going again.

Don't get discouraged - it will improve!
  • Options
    Hi Stephanie - I agree with Rich and Rich - can you get with a group - for OWS as well? Not having to do one or two of the swim workouts in the pool (in favor of OWS) has been a mental lifesaver!

My favorite motivational video (which I run though my head when I'm low on motivation and the sky is still dark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0qslHYJpw
  • Options

Thanks for the advice,

I did an ows in Walden Pond yesterday and THOREAULY enjoyed it! I am a Henry David Thoreau fan so swimming in the very waters he did over 150 years ago was a thrill.  I imagined Henry David chillin' in Massachusetts deepest fresh water  kettle lake/pond ( over 400ft deep) thinking about the essence of life. Good stuff. I will return tomorrow with my girls, a kayak and a good attitude!

Again thanks,

Stephanie

• Options

Sue!

Great video! Wow. Thanks so much!

Stephanie

• Options
    Did you swim deliberately?
  • Options
    Funny! I did swim deliberately. I had three pairs of goggles. One for solitude, one for friendship and one for society!
  • Options

Reading Walden was a highlight of high school.