Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

2014 IMMT Week 17

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hey Team - So Long Run done last night - good to see everyone cranking them out - Got in 16 miles in 2:13 for an 8:10 pace - last 3 miles were all sub-8 min. Also starting temp was 91 degrees.... Stopped at 16 as getting dark and out of Infinit....Very happy to get this in considering had steroid shots in hamstring just a few weeks back...

But gotta say, this keeping up with my older brother (Bruce) crap is really hard....When it was hurting yesterday started to wonder if it was really a good idea to introduce him to EN since he's gotten so fast.. image

On the team jersey, this may be may first IM where I don't where the EN kit - but for a good cause as joined John Withrow's Reserve Aid team to raise some funds for the troops. Will have my EN visor for the run.....

Keep up the great work all....
  • Options
    JT - great to hear you are running again and feeling good and quick. Bruce and I were talking about your hamstring while we were training up in Madison a few weeks back. I agree with your comments about keeping up with your older brother....good motivation when I get to ride/train with him.
  • Options
    wow with the three hour runs.         strong work all.
  • Options

@ Wilma (I mean Sue)...my run was good, and bad.  On the good side, ran 18 in 2:27, avg pace of 8:11, which was :05/mile faster than last week's 18 mile run on same course.  I did an easy 6 miles at about 8:40 pace then ran miles 7 and 9 at 7:45, and miles 11, 13, 15 and 17 at average of 7:20 pace.  Rest interval miles were at 8:30 pace.  On the bad side, my left heel began acting up at about mile 15.  It is an old injury that hasn't bothered me in 9 months.  Didn't like seeing it come back.  I may have been stupid to keep going the last three miles.  I iced it last night but this am it was very sore.  Time to rest and more ice.

Great see everyone getting it done.  Looks like we're going to have a very well prepared team in Quebec.

• Options
    @ Bruce, I am seriously considering the aero helmet. Wilma is getting fancy wheels, the vectors and Garmin 810, so I just HAVE to have something new as well. Recommendations on the helmet?

Managed to get the 3 hour run in early this am. I won't embarrass myself by listing my speed, but it was a very good run for me with my speed about 45 second faster then I usually go for the first 12 miles. The rest were my average pace...

The swim RR isn't getting done today, my face still swollen from the wasp sting but getting a lot better. Hoping to do a RR swim next Friday.

Julio is in the shop getting gussied up.
  • Options
    i'm so done with staring at a black line in the pool in the morning. struggling to keep swimming, but keep cutting it short at 60 min....then to the aquasize lane for pool running.....then look like a prune for several hours.

good news is bike went into the shop today for final tune up---chain, new cables, new bar end tape....will put new tires on before the race. received new PT wheel this week, but no wheel cover image I may need to get it shipped to someone to bring to IMMT for me since I'm leaving for vacation next week and won't be home before the race. the new PT is so much quieter than my 5 year old one. Road bike today and through the weekend. I might play with the roadies just to mix it up.
  • Options
    I could not have asked for better weather at 4:30 am, 70 deg and almost no humidity in NC in Jul is a blessing.

Had to move my RR long run to this morning. Managed to get in 18 miles in 2:47 and eked out a negative split and practiced walk-run (every 2 miles). Due to nagging injury I focused on stride and not so much pace. I've noticed every time I try to push a pace the pain comes back. Even so, the pain (4/10) came back at mile 14 which was just enough to make me slow down a bit. The dog at mile 16 was no help either. But, I'm glad it was a tiny dog that did not bite and stopped when I stopped and just looked at me like I'm a dumb ass when I started running again.

This weekend I have to work so I'll squeeze in the bike work on my commute. Definitively no run tomorrow, maybe Sunday.
  • Options
    finally feel like i am hitting stride again after coming back from my Kilimanjaro 2 week break 2 weeks ago. Last weeks 115 mile bike became a very hilly (8000 ft) 90 miles, when i ran out of tire changing gear on the 3rd flat!

Banged out 112 today in 6:08, 6600 ft of climbing, so a good number, opted for a 6 mile Brick since I haven't done any RRs yet. Long Run on Thursday was slow, it was ridiculously humid at 4:30 am when i went out to get it done, did 17 miles in 2:30. Actually looking to build volume this one last week as I need a bit more hay in the barn!
  • Options

last long long bike today.    5 hour kickr.      243 np.      then felt great for the 4 mile run.              

I'm back!

last long long run tomorrow.   

• Options
    Laying it out there ... Changed up the schedule and was able to do a 2.3 mile swim (thanks to hubby and master sherpa/kayaker) this am.  Then drove out to the "insane terrain" course west of Madison - hard, hard but can usually conquer it.  15 miles in wanted to get off the bike and cry - just tired and not hitting any decent watts (did 70 yesterday on the IMOO course - stick-loop-stick).  I've never let that darn Insane Terrain course get the better of me but this was the first time.  Flipped it at 20 - I was like a dog in a car with the windows open and the ears blowing back - life was so good knowing the end was near.  Measly 40 miles today.  On the drive home was thinking ... what would Talansky do ... yes, ride on!  And then I thought ... wait ... what would I do?  Flashback ... B2B 1/2 in 2010 - crashed after a dood was drafting on my wheel (yes, really) and I slowed to grab some nutrition and the next thing I knew I was laying in a ditch on the shoulder.  Thought about quitting, kept going to finish the bike and got to T2 and said lets do this thing - I can walk it - wait that takes too long - held pressure on my SI joint the entire run/walk and finished.  So, what will I do -rest for a day and then dig deep - training is almost over!!! Look forward to this coming week and being thankful that we can do this stuff. Little verklempt today with the fail on the ride - moving forward!
  • Options
    I hear ya Sue.

Rode our hilly metro park loop for 82 miles yesterday, ran 4. Soo tired on the drive home! Had some family time, dinner and CRASHED, hard. After a 3 hour "nap", got up for 30' of telly with my husband, then back to bed.

Woke up this am feeling meh,,, was supposed to ride the hilly park again and Just.could.not.do.it. No.

Went to my regular park as I knew friends would be there. Made a unmotivated ride doable. Not fast, not EN execution...just done. To top it off, there was a biker that was hit by a car in the park today. Thankfully he was ok and being sent to the hospital only for a check up, but damn! This park is ALWAYS full of bikers, and there are even signs on the road to share the road!

I am looking forward to some extra rest this week and TAPER. Remind me I said that when I'm going nuts! image
  • Options
    Hang tough everyone. Rest is coming soon. For this next week, if you need to, drop a workout or two and hit the top 2-4 workouts hard. At least the intensity if you can't do the duration.

Felt great for my 16 mile run today. Seconds under 2 hrs even. What a difference a week makes.

I had the benefit of one week hard downtime due to injury. Ready to race!