Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Barb's race 70.3: 100+ degrees, crashed my bike but I finished!

First race since starting with EN in Jan. Second half ironman.

The short recap is:  temp topped out at 105, crashed my bike and ate a bug– but I still finished (30 min faster than my vineman 70.3 time last year) and I didn’t end up in the medical tent.  I call it a success overall!

My main goal was to practice for my first full ironman which meant stepping out of my comfort zone and I did and I learned a lot! (most important lesson- check that your bike is working correctly after a crash – not just yourself)

My second goal was to finish faster than last year (ideally under 7.5 hours which would be fast for me and make me feel good going into IMAZ) Finished faster but not quite in the time I wanted BUT given the crazy day and that I was ABLE to finish – very happy with the result!

Third goal was to have fun – and I did.  Saw and did some crazy things and had a great time interacting with the other racers and volunteers.  Having a fully supported tour of Sonoma wine country was not bad either even though half-way through the bike I could have sworn I’d been transported to Dante’s inferno!

The expo – only putting it in because it was HOT – very HOT.  We just missed the mandatory meeting by 5 min so had to wait an hour.  My friends walked around the expo but I was worried about the heat and decided to chill-out, sit in the shade and drink my Nuun water.

The swim – decided to line up in the back on the inside for my wave.  Pass any slower swimmers and then move more to the middle to get out of the way for the next wave.  Somehow a group of ladies got in beside or behind me and beat me up (and the water).  They were kicking so hard I could hear it (and feel it when they hit my face and head).  People were kicking me, elbowing me, swimming on top of me, grabbing my arms, grabbing my feet – OMG.  Well at least I know now that I can survive a rough crowded swim.  I’ve been very worried about the mass start at IMAZ.  Only thing that didn’t happen was my goggles getting knocked off. (Did I mention this was an all womens triathlon, raising money for cancer and I’m in the 50+ age group). Eventually able to find my box.  Because a full distance race was going on at the same time they had wet suite strippers so I was able to try that – nice!  Finished the swim in 46 min, last year – 50 min.  All in all a success.

Transition – just did my thing – listened to the other ladies discuss that it was one of the most physical swims they had experienced and agreed

The bike (my biggest challenge of the day so longest section) – walked my bike up the boat ramp and then mounted away from everyone else and took off.  The first 5 or so miles are flat but the road is a little rough so I was in and out of aero.  Lots of people were flying past me but I just watched my heart-rate and spun easy. Checked my speed and I was going about 17mph which was plenty fast for me.  Got my heart-rate down and did the famous series of sharp turns, downhills and steep uphill with no issues. 

Next part of the course is very rough road, with rolling hills.  Mostly stayed in my drops and concentrated on easy spinning on the uphills.  Focused on drinking as much as I could and started eating. Also, started doing something very new for me – I was passing people, lots of people. Then, started messing around with my gears and first mishap – dropped my chain in the middle of a steep uphill.  I was annoyed because I know better.  Got off the bike, put it back on, and watched all the people I had passed pass me.  OK – back on track, managed to get going without falling over.  Offered words of encouragement to the women who had dropped her chain on the next hill.  She looked about as happy as I was.  Kept drinking as much as I could.

First aid station – bottle toss and second mishap.  (never tried this before in a race) Someone was going very slowly in front of the toss (like falling over slow) – I was trying to toss my bottles without hitting her or falling.  Second mishap – I really should have unclipped when I realized how much I was slowing down but I was more focused on not hitting her with my bike or my bottles. Started to fall and couldn’t catch myself because everything was in perfect alignment for me to hit another bike.  Thankfully he didn’t go down with his bike.  He tried to catch me but I went down and my chest landed on his handlebars. I felt so bad that I had caused him to crash but he was very nice and wanted to make sure I was okay before he left. Another woman stopped and asked me if I wanted ibuprofen (I thought no way) but appreciated the thoughtful gesture.  Aid station workers checked me out, I got my breath back, washed out my wounds and dumped the rest of the water on my head.  Got some Gatorade (course nutrition) and was on my way.

Third mishap, I’m peddling along working hard and watching a bunch of people I passed a long way back flying past me like I’m not moving. I look and I’m only going about 10 MPH on the flats but working much harder than earlier.  Still worried about my knees and ribs/lungs but everything seemed to be working okay.  I had been drinking and eating all morning and I didn’t feel like I was bonking.  No headwind.  I was getting really tired and realized I’d only gone about four miles.  Thought to myself, it feels like I’m riding through glue – duh – could it be my brake got moved when I crashed?  Time to stop again.  Re-align my wheel and on my way again.  Wow loved the feeling of moving again.  Pass all the same people.  By now we have gotten to know each other. 

Not really a mishap, but a lesson learned: Went through the next aid station (no toss, just stopped and put bottles down), they saw the blood and asked if I wanted a medic – I said no just gatorade.  Dumped more water on my head.  In hindsight, I should have gotten one bottle of gatorade and one of water.  The big heat hit and the full strength gatorade started making me sick.  I needed to dilute it but no water and I was roasting.  Even the wind was hot (I’m told people measured the temp at 101).  So glad I drank so much at the beginning. I’m sure that is what saved me.  Forced myself to sip the gatorade and just got in my aerobars and kept moving forward and watching for the next aid station at chalk hill road.  Yikes! I guess this is when I hit “the line”.  That was a very long 10 miles and a sufferfest! 

Next aid station was in the shade (!!) Diluted my Gatorade with water and drank up.  Took some salt pills, dumped more water on my head and got a bottle of water for the road.  Felt okay, started drinking again as much as I could, tried to eat a bit.  Poured water over my head while I was riding and decided to stop at the base of chalk hill to dump lots of water since I was already overheated and had the climb ahead. Amazing enough, instead of losing energy on the climb I gained it.  It was full of spectators. I’m working my way up the hill and saw a guy with a cowbell and told him we needed more cowbell.  He loved it and was ringing the bell and running behind me (just like the Tour de France - only much slower).  -- Then I saw a spectator with a "LEUKEMIA SUCKS" sign.   I started triathlon with team in training ~7 months after my husband had a bone marrow transplant for an aggressive form of leukemia.  Endurance sports have been a way for me to cope with the stress. He has suffered off and on ever since with some pretty horrific side effects and finally after 5 years is starting to feel better. I told her my husband was a survivor and was overwhelmed with admiration for him (since I’d been in a sufferfest for only the last hour or so).  I told the spectators he was awesome and heard her yelling back that I was awesome too.  I didn’t plan on this being my one thing but somehow it was.  I was mentally set for the rest of the race.  I did pull off  in the shade a couple more times to pour water on myself because I was still pretty over heated (I’m told it was 105 at chalk hill).  The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful.  Just settled into aero and finished the last 16 miles with the goal of getting to the first run aid station so I could get some ice.  Despite all the drama – I finished the bike in 4 hours (20 minutes faster than the year before).  I was a little disappointed because I am much stronger this year and was expecting to finish faster but I realize that I made it through all the challenges because I’m stronger. 

Transition – pretty uneventful.  Seemed like everyone around me was melting down, some thought their stuff had been moved.  It’s a split transition so we had set it up the day before (in the heat).  I had found a marker and took a picture of my row to check before the race (since I know I have a terrible memory under the best of circumstances) so no issues.   I just stayed focused on my immediate goal to get in my run gear so I could get ice.  Pulled a bottle of perform out of my cooler (so glad I had it for a break from hot gatorade and it was still a bit cool) and headed out.

The run – put ice everywhere at the first aid station and started running.  Checked pace and heart-rate and I seemed okay.  Knees and lungs seemed to be working okay from the earlier crash.  Told myself I could walk at the next aid station. Had to walk up the last part of two of the (what seemed like many) hills to keep from overheating but overall did okay.  Spent a lot of time at aid stations finding the stuff I needed.  Developed a system - took 2 cups of water from the first person and poured it in my face, filled various areas with ice – sports bra, back and hat.  About every other aid station, filled bottle with ice, Gatorade and water.  So glad I had that bottle, I drank pretty much constantly.  Took salt tabs about every four miles since I was drinking dilute Gatorade.  Could not tolerate food.  Took one gel but really needed two and I knew the ones at the aid stations were too strong from my “hot” 80 degree San Diego runs.  Tried a sip of coke – almost came right back up (skip that for ironman and take gel with caffeine instead).  Finished the run in 2:42.  Again, I was expecting to do better from my long runs but I would not have made it to the finish without the slower pace and picking up everything I needed at the aid stations.  Last year I did the run in 2:55 under better conditions so I’m happy with my progress.

Overall finished in 7:48 versus 8:21 last year. Not the time I was hoping for but given the conditions, I feel like I was successful and had a great day.  Big hug at the finish line from one of Barb’s friends who gave me my medal and thanked me for being out there and for raising money for cancer patients.  Barb is a cancer survivor and this race was started by her to raise money for local cancer non-profits.  She spoke to us before the race and is apparently being inducted into the triathlon hall of fame this year.  This year they raised over $100K. Glad to have the week off, in particular for the heat rash on my booty to heal (next race I’m putting glide everywhere!)

Comments

• Options

Hey Vicki,

Congrats! That's a lot of friction on a very, very hot day and you did a great job handling all of it. Notes:

• K-Edge chain catcher. Get it. 
    • You mentioned staying in the drops on your bike. Are you on a road bike? If yes, do you have aerobars on it? You'll definitely want to be much more aero at IMAZ as wind is much more of a factor there vs Barb's.
    • How did you improve as a percentage of your age group? The hotter the day it's more about attrition. You handled a lot of friction on a very hot day and still PR'd by ~30'. I'm very sure that many athletes under executed, not adjusting for the heat, and I bet you made a huge improvement in % 

Nice work!

• Options
    Very very impressive getting done what you had to do to get thru Dante's Inferno. After this race, IM AZ will be a breeze for you. No running in the sun, for one thing.
  • Options
    Nice job Vicki! Barb's was my very first 1/2 IM back in 2009. I did it again in 2010 and then Vineman 70.3 in 2011. I never had to deal with those temps! Super smart execution! I am looking forward to meeting you at IMAZ .
  • Options
    Awesome job executing your race on a hot and challenging day. Congrats on your PR!
  • Options
    Great execution on a very tough day!
    x2 what Coach R said.
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive comments and I will definately invest in the chain catcher. I do have aero bars just getting comfortable using them on rough road and I still like to use my drops for downhills. Will keep practicing for AZ and have lots of opportunities for practice in the wind around here.

Also checked my percentages and I did do much better than last year. Last year "top" 98% overall (bottom 2% image) - this year top 61% overall and top 40% on the run (top 32% in my AG for the run). Last year I was top 92% overall on the run so pretty significant change.
  • Options
    Way to go. I can attest that it was a hot day out there and there were many challenges. I agree with Al that it was a war of attrition out there. I looked at the overall standings in the full vineman and over 600 people started but only 440 finished. I don't know about Barb's race but a 30% DNF is pretty high for a race.
  • Options
    Well Done - you executed on what needed to be done on very hot day - and look how much better you finished compared to the year before. That's smart racing!