Options

2014 IM Wisconsin Official Introductory Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    arrrrrgh never, will die first
  • Options
    Hey everyone,

Andy Fenton, local to Madison for the last 9 years, although I'm originally from the UK (I still talk with a funny accent).

Been with EN since late 2010 mostly in a 'lurking' capacity. Completed IMWI in 2011 - since then I've focused mostly on HIM and falling off the bike (couple of bad accidents in 2012 & 13).

Looking forward to racing WI again ...if one things sticks in my mind from 2011, it was the awesome on-course support for ENers, so given the swell in numbers on the team, this year should be huge!

Good luck to everyone in these last few weeks!
  • Options
    Andy - I can appreciate the bike accidents. Not fun, painful and pretty darn expensive. Glad your back on the horse
  • Options

Yes, I found out the hard way that 'You are an Ironman' does not, in fact, mean you are made of Iron!! image

• Options
    Hey Andy glad your in for IM Moo! EN is going to rock Madison this year!
  • Options

Hey Team,

After a lot of debate, I decided to not do IMWI...  THEN... I forgot to un-register... so here I sit...  getting "ready" for IMWI... LOL

See you there!

Ruth Ann

• Options
    Well glad your in Ruth! image
  • Options
    Haha Ruth-What's your story? Why were you going to unregister? Injury? Life get in the way of training? Either way-I'm glad you are on board image
  • Options

Team,

Life was certainly different for me this season compared to last season.  Last year, I had many unsuccessful races, and even a trip to the ER during 70.3 in Racine, and the season ended with a DNF at IMWI (swim... missed it by 4:43)... so mental focus wasn't there... or at least not consistently... and consistency is one of the keys in training.  Then traveling just about every week for work... and foot injuries that had to be diagnosed...  I barely made it through my 1/2 marathon in April.  I didn't realize how mentally tough a bad season could be on someone...

Fortunately, my mojo picked up in early Spring; had a couple FUN sprint tris, and had a lot of FUN when training for Challenge AC (I'd changed to the aquabike due to run issues)... then DNF'ed there on the swim (AGAIN)... It was a tough race.  After that, I just felt like, hey, spend my money, time and energy elsewhere...  All that did for me was put me back in a sad place, and some home stresses were eating at me... so I fell into my comfort zone and ate... I gained 5 or more lbs... I pulled my vacation days at work...wrote to Ironman, but didn't do the formal process... missing the deadline with them because I got distracted by a work deadline and some home issues... 

SO... I'm going to go to IMWI... and try and get through the swim and onto the bike... Anything after that is just pure gravy...

I'll be traveling again just about every week between now and then, but I'm making time to get the swims and bikes in... and if per chance I get to the run, I'll gut it out.

If nothing else, I get to see my friends over the long weekend, and hopefully I'll pull myself out of my funk, get control over my food selections, and get ready for my out-season with a positive outlook.

Funny... we all struggle with something... and mine, well... in the big scheme of things... not so bad image

See you out there unless something else in life smacks me across the head!

Ruth

• Options
    Just signed up to volunteer, so I'll be there for IM Weekend! I'm going to be in the women's change tent during T2, telling all those lies that "wow you look so good after a 112 mile bike", "of course you can do the marathon!", "these shorts will make you faster", etc. Won't get in to town until Saturday, but hope to see lots of you out there.
  • Options
    Rachel! Glad you will be volunteering-and thank you image Come lie for me in T2 and tell me I look great even when you know I look like crap image

Ruth-LOVE your positive attitude. You may as well try, right? We miss 100% of the shots we don't take image Can't wait to see you up in Madison!
  • Options
    Ruth -Wow what a journey you have been on. You have such a great outlook. I hope this race is "The Race for You"! I look forward to seeing you in Madison.

Rachel- I won't be any where near the inside of the T2 women's change area but I hope to see you somewhere along the run course! image Great to have you at the race for support!