Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Debbie Williams IM Lou RR2

So were 2 weeks out from IM Louisville - just following the plan - didn't exactly read what the title was for this weekend - I mean I'm just doing what's there... Anyway race rehearsal 2....

Friday (today) did a timed 4400yd swim - the third timed-straight thru 4400 I've done in the past 3 weeks - consistency!!!! 1:45, 1:44 and today 1:43. Felt great when I got out - not cooked - just good a swim. I know that's significantly slower than most here - but big improvement over my 2:03 @ IM Louisville in 2012.

Saturday - repeat of same ride I've done past 2 weeks - rolling hills - 3k climbing & 72 miles. Mostly good replication of Louisville course. Repeat nutrition I've been doing - Gu/hour 2 salt tabs/hr... Electrolyte Nuun... Couple honey stinger waffles... Think I've got it dialed in. Supposed to be upper 90s. Change out chain & tires in the afternoon.

Sunday - short run in morning (did "long" run Wednesday) church & masters swim in the afternoon.

I hope this is sufficient for race rehearsal report.

Is there any EN activity in Louisville? Making plans with others I've been training online with... Will be wearing EN Tri jersey on bike & run - as will my daughter who has white blond hair (easier to pick her out). I'm bib 830 and she's 410.

Comments

• Options

Debbie...this sounds good.  Those are nice improvements in your swim, especially since many people actually slow down in these last few swims due to accumulated fatigue.  I bet your swim even faster after a taper and with the Ohio river current helping you along for much of the IMLV swim.

My only suggestion is that you try to do two additional things:  try to extend the ride to at least 90 miles or 6  hours, whichever comes first.  Then add a run of at least 3 miles after the ride to get a feel for what pace you need to run at the start of the IM run.  Those first 3 miles on the run are critical to proper pacing for the rest of the IM run.

Overall, sounds like you are ready.  I'm sure there is an EN race group thread.  Go to the forums and scroll down to the races and look for the link for IM LOU.  Good luck to you and your daughter.

• Options
    Thx for feed back Bruce - I looked at the plan & realized there was a run too - prepped for run. Don't know where my head was Saturday... but I didn't "eat" anything for 90 min - got back to car - it was 105 - cooked & bonking! Skipped the run. Bonehead lesson learned. I do run off the bike several times a week 45min - 1h - gets "easier" every time. Just not Saturday. I'm good with bike miles - ultramarathon (like Race Across AMerica) cyclist in another life. The EN IM Louisville group has been very quiet - but great group on FB.
    I'll be volunteering @ IMAZ catching finish line - see u there!!!
  • Options

Hi Debbie:

Re: group activity in Louisville - I can't get to Louisville until mid morning on Friday, so I'm not planning on a get together with anyone, but I think EN has a group dinner set for Thursday (?).

I'm relatively new to EN so I don't have an EN kit but I'll be looking forward to seeing EN athletes and introducing myself on the course.

The EN LOU group is quiet, but the FB group has been helpful in some ways. I was happy to see the temp forecast today for August 24th is now ONLY 92, down from yesterday's forecast of 99.  I expect that to change more than once before the big day however, and am planning on a really hot drippy day. 

Best of luck if I do not see you before or during the race! Kay