Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

Racing Tires?

Hi Team, 

I currently have gatorskin on my wheels but have heard it's not the best choice to race as they are thick and anti-puncture, yes, but also very heavy and anti-aerodynamic... 

So was wondering what you'd recommend/use for race day? My front wheel is a tubular (carbon deep dish) and the back is a clincher alu with aero jacket cover (I have a cycleops powermeter in the hub). 

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Cath

Comments

• Options
    Hey Catherine-

Is your front tire worn out? If not, I would not glue a new tubular on just for the race. If it IS worn out, let us know and we'll give you recommendations on a new tubular tire for it.

For your back tire, I would personally change it for the race. The Gatorskins have a really high rolling resistance. I race on the Vittoria Evo CX tire with latex tubes. This is a really fast combination. Other people seem to like the Continental GP4000s (make sure it has the "s") as they have shown to also have better aerodynamics, but this would matter much less on just the rear wheel as it effects the front much more.
  • Options
    thanks guys! That was quick image

My hubby says I should try to rent a better (lighter) back wheel with a powermeter for race day. Is that a good idea or I shouldn't change my set up too much now (6 weeks to go).

Thanks
  • Options
    Ride the powermeter you have trained on. Its the only way to know for certain that the power or range of power you see on race day is consistent with what you saw in training. All powermeters may read differently, even if its the exact same model. Weight differnce is negligble and the difference in your bike time due to the weight of the rear wheel is almost unmeasurable.
  • Options
    the surface is really smooth. I rode it this past weekend and there wasn't a lot of debris, rocks, potholes, etc. Very smooth course. I run Conti Gp 4000s II's and they felt pretty good.
  • Options
    I always use gatorskins.  If I want to decrease the weight of my bike, I can go on a diet!  Flatting on a race?  not worth it for a few ounces of rubber
  • Options

Posted By Patricia Rosen on 12 Aug 2014 02:47 PM

I always use gatorskins.  If I want to decrease the weight of my bike, I can go on a diet!  Flatting on a race?  not worth it for a few ounces of rubber

It's not about the weight of the tire.  Yes the gatorskins are more puncture resistant, but the MUCH higher rolling resistance is akin to riding your whole race through mud...   So going with the Vittoria Evo CX II (or the Conti GP400s) with latex tubes is likely to be 5-10 mins faster than the Gatorskins...   so if you get a flat and can change it in 5-10 minutes then it's a push as far as bike split goes.  And if you do NOT get a flat (highly likely that you will not flat), then you will be much quicker for the same effort.

Re: renting a PT rear Race wheel...   2x on the answer above.  A Powertap training wheel with a disc cover is just as fast as a PT Race wheel unless it is a HUGE CLIMBING course, but even then, it's probably minimal.  But knowing you're racing to the same power numbers you trained to might just save your race.  So keep your own wheel and slap the disc cover on it...

• Options
    I'm not comfortable with latex but if you think the Vittoria Evo CX or Conti GP400s is much better and it's a plain old clincher tire, I might try it image I don't wear those pointy hats either so I might not be the best person to advise on gear for speed.
  • Options

Posted By Patricia Rosen on 12 Aug 2014 03:28 PM

I'm not comfortable with latex but if you think the Vittoria Evo CX or Conti GP400s is much better and it's a plain old clincher tire, I might try it I don't wear those pointy hats either so I might not be the best person to advise on gear for speed.

What's wrong with latex?  I've found them every bit as durable as butyl tubes as long as you never take them out of your tires once they've been mounted.  You also have to be very careful when you put them on.  And use butyl spares (latex can't take CO2).  But nothing to be afraid of with latex...

And while you're at it, get a pointy hat!

• Options
    I bought a pointy hatimage not going for latex yet.
  • Options
    I don't know how to add the picture but it is not very significant point on the end. My understanding is that the aero helmets do not have a lot of stuff hanging out the back. the new helmets keep it short with little or no protrusion out the back. got a fancy LG that looks like a golf ball and is very light and fits my peanut head!