Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

sunscreen for Kona

Need recommendations for this fair skinned New Englander.  I'd like one that I can apply before the day starts that might have some staying power.  I will reapply, but I'm worried about burning.  Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options

Thoughts on sunscreen, from one who has 2nd deg. burned several times:

• While buying the highest spf is always a good idea, any number over about 30-40 is meaningless - simply gilding the lily
    • There are several "water resistant" brands which can help with the degradation/dilution which will be caused by swimming and sweating. the ones I use are: Beyond Coastal, Neutrogena, and Coppertone Sport.
    • I've started using spray-on for application below my head/neck. It probably is more expensive, but a lot easier to deal with.
    • Putting it on the night before a race, applying again when waking up in the middle of the night to eat/pee, and yet again in the am before doning kit is what I do.
    • I also put some in my "go bag" for T2, so I can spray on my shoulders while running along the first mile.
    • Areas of special concern are: the small of the back if you do not wear a bib or one piece suit - tops often ride up while biking, exposing a triangle back there; tops of calves when running, thighs just above knees when cycling, the inner aspects of the forearms (which get full exposure for 6 hours or so when riding in the aerobars, and are often whiter than the rest of you), and toughest to manage, the outer lats on your upper back (basically the area covered by your hands when you hug yourself tightly)
    • As you probably already know, when in HI, "Don;t leave home without it" - don;t step out the door without making sure you've applied a good layer everywhere that *might* get exposed. A hat is always a good idea as well.
  • Options
    Thanks Al! I appreciate the advice!