Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Coach P Training Check In

I have been trying to document my training over the last couple weeks mainly in response to a lot of questions I've gotten about how I train and how I plan on training for Hawaii.

This week, the zone three efforts are definitely getting to me. I had some personal stress issues, and a dental visit, and things are requiring a bit more rest than usual. :-)

I am continuing to stick with less mileage, but higher intensity to get the stress that I want and to make it more race specific as to what I have experienced in Kona.

Currently my biggest fear is trying to figure out how I will be able to fuel properly at a higher level of intensity given how difficult it is to drink and eat. :-)

Otherwise, the bike in the run or both there for me. I won't run longer than 15 miles before the race, but my biggest issue remains the swim. I am still working on building the yardage with improved technique, but it will be a crapshoot as to whether or not I can get the volume up before the race or not.

Thanks for tuning in!

Comments

• Options

Self coaching at a great level. I am watching the process and making notes. Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Options

Posted By Patrick McCrann on 18 Sep 2014 08:42 AM

Currently my biggest fear is trying to figure out how I will be able to fuel properly at a higher level of intensity given how difficult it is to drink and eat. :-)

Let's plan to get in three or four rides as 4h at solid Zone 3 during race week to get the necessary practice in.   For shits and giggles, we can brick them with midday runs.    

• Options
    Dave joking? 4 hour rides during race week?
  • Options
    I assumed he meant this week and next.
  • Options
    I was joking! If you've every seen me going Full Sloth on race week, you would know just how far from the mark my advice is!

But I WILL be counting on Coach P to join me for a old-school run down into The Pit in Keahoe along the old run course.
  • Options
    Ah, elite triathlete sarcasm! Dave be careful you have no idea what you'll get someone to do.... I am down with that run for sure!!!
  • Options
    No joke - I'm running that stretch today in my speedo, Ken Glah style.