Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Daily Ambience Photo(s)

Lava Java (on Ali'i about miles 1 & 9 of the run course), and the view north (Kona Inn) and South (Royal Kona) from there. The swim course is out there about 200 meters from shore.

Comments

• Options
    Possibly the only time I will see it... image
  • Options
    Yikes! Things are a gettin real!!!image
  • Options

Anaehoomalu, aka A Bay, a great place to collect white coral for "writing" in the lava. Not a bad sunset, either:

During the day, just about the calmest waters you'll find for swimming - about a half hour round trip, over and back (looking back towards where the first shot was taken):

Turn around, there's Mauna Kea. Almost 14,000 feet to the top of that "hill":

• Options
    Great pictures!

Hopefully one of these days... either by lottery or outliving my competitors. image
  • Options
    I'm really starting to get excited with these pictures making it real. Almost less than 2 weeks & counting, yikes!
  • Options

I know this is a pretty bad photograph (my wife is a professional photographer, and she cringed when she saw me posting it). But … this is the ONLY shade on the ENTIRE bike course. Comes about half way in, near the top of the hill just before the turn around in Hawi:

And it's just past the wind farm at Upulu … as if you didn't need a reminder about how windy it usually is at this point:

• Options
    @AL- Love all the photo's!

I pulled up my Race Report from last year to review... One thing that stood out to me was my higher than normal consumption of liquids on the bike in KONA.... Those photo's of NO shade and Wind are the reason's.... My fluid consumption in KONA was higher than my IMLOU and IMTX (which were both hotter than KONA and 2 of the hottest years for those events)...
  • Options

This is the sunset looking right out at the swim turn around. Turn 90 degrees to the right, and you see this. The boxy building is the King K Hotel, which is basically where the pier (start, finish, transitions) is - also, some low slung white tents in the area, med tent, etc, can be seen there. In the upper right is the condo I stay in, second floor down:

The breakers on the shore result from the rugged lava coast, not heavy seas. The swim is really quite calm (most of the time), more swell than waves.

• Options

Out in the lava fields on the Queen K Highway, there are … donkeys?

• Options

Graffiti at the Scenic View, top of the final hill about mile 100 or so:

Here's the "view" Chip & Tara had while they wrote their names in the lava:

And my contribution, on some desolate southern beach @ dusk in my first finisher's jersey:

• Options

I'm loving the pictures!  Thanks for sharing, Al!

• Options
    These pictures are really helping to keep the excitement up!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

Three "random" shots from the deck of my condo. FIrst is a small school of fish who got trapped in a tide pool directly below my room. Next high tide, they swam free:

Next, the reason there is a pier in Kona - cruise ships pull up several mornings each week, and chug away into the sunset each evening. During the day, those on board mob the town and buy up all the T-Shirts, or else go for rides to nearby coastal locales in those smaller boats you see on either side:

Finally, one the top reasons for traveling to the west shore of any Hawaiian island - the sunsets:

• Options
    Al -a dumb question --how do you paste your photos onto this---I've tried everything and can't get it to work---look forward to seeing you both!
    Eric
  • Options

Posted By Eric Blakie on 30 Sep 2014 06:14 AM

Al -a dumb question --how do you paste your photos onto this---I've tried everything and can't get it to work---look forward to seeing you both!

Eric

Hoo boy, it's complicated. The method I discovered after playing around awhile only works on my computer, not on smartphone or tablet.

• Use "add reply", not the quick reply box.
    • Place the cursor where you want the photo.
    • On top line of icons above the reply window, click on the paper clip
    • Select Image Manager
    • On the left side, select My Folder, then on the top select Upload
    • In the middle, hit "Select"
    • Get a dialog box which allows choosing a file from my computer
    • Do this for as many files as you want to use
    • Then, select Upload
    • You should see the photo now, and can choose Insert.
    • To place multiple photos, or to choose a photo which has previously been uploaded to the Image Manager, sleet the photo from the thumbnails in the middle, and then choose Insert. Gotta remember to have the cursor already placed where you want the photo.

It's also possible to use a file storage service like Flickr, and embed a link to that photo in the post. I don;t do that, cause I keep my photos on my computer, not in the cloud.

Looking back, I wonder how I ever discovered this process. It must have involved a lot of playing around, but that's the way I learn most computer things - just mousing around.

• Options
    Kudo's to you Al for being able to post photo's... I had it figured out once... But something changed and have failed trying to figure it out again...

IT NEEDS TO BE SIMPLE !!!! Like drag and drop or select from files... None of this multistep process!
  • Options

Thanks Al--here we go then---I was trying to post a more inviting atmospheric shot especially for the men-----2011 underpants run---if in any doubt I'm the one in the middle cunningly disguised as a white milk bottle !!

• Options

Thanks Al --that worked but drag and drop would be nice----Patrick ????????????--they could drag and drop me anythime after the race !

• Options
    These are great!!!!!! Eric you are FUNNY. image The photo stuff is a limitation of the software we use, but I will put it on the list!
  • Options

Last night on the webinar, Coach P suggested there's not a lot of reason to spend admin time driving, then biking to Hawi. If you don't plan to go before race day, here's a shot right at the turnaround.

• Options

I;ve arrived, so this shot is from last night - Thursday:

• Options
    Beautiful! Glad you've arrived safely.
  • Options
    Oh to be back on the island again this time of year.